• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

commuter sedan

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
My DD has been full size trucks for as long as I can remember. With an upcoming career change I am going to need a comfortable commuter sedan very soon. Figured I would throw my initial search results out there to the So Cal Naxja guys and see what kind of feedback I get.

My initial short list:

2008 Chevy Malibu. All new, fairly conservative Camry/Accord competitor with good initial reviews. Loaded LTZ model (V6) is like $ 27K, I have a little over $3K in GM points. Would have to add $300 a year for On-star navigation.

2008 G35. Has a long track record of good reviews. $35K I don't think there are any real downsides to this car.

2008 MB C300: A bit more than the G35, has a more distintive style, but honestly don't know if it is any better.

2008 JK Rubicon: Tempting...but I would be tempted to build and wheel it, plus I don't think I would enjoy it as a commuter.

Have at it, lets hear your comments and/or suggestions.

A Toyota would be a good investment. Reliable, good MPG, good resale value.

i would go for the g35, if i had the $$ thats what i would be picking up for a daily driver. its quick, gets good gas mileage if you go easy on the skinny pedal, and they look daaaamn good just being stock. i like the older body style but if you like the new ones go for it! ive driven a few of them and its a really nice car, feels well put together, and handles like a sports car.

ia green96 said:
A Toyota would be a good investment. Reliable, good MPG, good resale value.

I know the Camry and Accords are safe bets. But they are not exciting. I figure it I go that route I would just go with the Chevy Malibu to take advantage of the GM points. (I won't be buying anymore work work trucks so I gotta use em up)

The new Malibu is really nice. Lot's of after market in the plans, like the Colbalt.

I personally like the new Accord with the V6. Lot's of power, nice body design, good reputation. Easy resale as well.

The G35 is extremely nice, but a little more pricey.

The new MB 320's are beautiful, but feel a little small inside.

The BMW 525i series is a great idea - if you like BMW's. Very nice ride, comfortable, reliable, classy.

Good luck!

I would go with the malibu. I saw one at the dealership while I was waiting for parts. It was freakin nice. Although dodge has that lifetime warranty now. Not sure how that works though

I just checked out the Malibu and it isn't a bad looking car(I was surprised). I would say use the points so they don't go to waste.

Based on what you're looking at in the sedans, I'd say go test drive a Volvo S80. It's a larger car than the sedans you mentioned, but it's a fabulous road car. The 3.2L six is plenty...the 4.4L V8 hauls balls. Very comfy car.

The S60's are nice too.

My first pick is the G37 not the 35.. the paddle shift is great to play with in traffic.. I know your dilemma, since I drive for a living most of the day to appointments. I have gone to the lower end of the scale for fuel economy, and have a good commuter. You really have to ask yourself what your needs are in this car? Do you drive long distances every day? Are you more on the freeway or surface streets? And does your daily excite you to drive it? I also look at repair costs of the newer cars, and tend to stray from the german offerings due to the 1K brake job... If I had my pic Id get a new Mini Cooper S... just my .02$

88trailcrawler said:
My DD has been full size trucks for as long as I can remember. With an upcoming career change I am going to need a comfortable commuter sedan very soon. Figured I would throw my initial search results out there to the So Cal Naxja guys and see what kind of feedback I get.

My initial short list:

2008 Chevy Malibu. All new, fairly conservative Camry/Accord competitor with good initial reviews. Loaded LTZ model (V6) is like $ 27K, I have a little over $3K in GM points. Would have to add $300 a year for On-star navigation.

2008 G35. Has a long track record of good reviews. $35K I don't think there are any real downsides to this car.

2008 MB C300: A bit more than the G35, has a more distintive style, but honestly don't know if it is any better.

2008 JK Rubicon: Tempting...but I would be tempted to build and wheel it, plus I don't think I would enjoy it as a commuter.

Have at it, lets hear your comments and/or suggestions.

My two pics are surprise here...... the new C class- that body style looks way better on the C than the S. 2nd choice would be the malibu, problem is they are both first year cars so you should know the risk.

My commuter is an 06 Accord. Its not the most exciting car, but it is more enjoyable to drive than I thought it would be; I went for the 4cyl/5spd. The Accord equipped like mine was Car and Driver's choice for a commuter. I regularly get 30mpg, 34 on long road trips. If you can get a good price on a leftover 07 Accord, I'd do that.

My favorite car ever was a 1995 Ford Taurus SHO. It's like a Taurus LX, but with a Yamaha 3.2L 220HP high-performance engine and optional 5 speed. Very comfortable, reasonably good on gas, and you can pick them up pretty cheaply. Plus they are fast enough to beat a 5.0 Mustang on the 1/4 mile, and they corner nicely too. Check out www.shoforum.com .

If you want new, I don't have any experience with the 2008 models, but I have been really impressed with the newer GMs. I'd check out the Malibu.

thanks for the replies, Seems I am off to a good start. I drove a Malibu today. Seeing as the last time I bought a new sedan was a '90 a Camry, the Malibu LTZ is pretty well loaded, comfortable, quite and powerful. Not sporty or nimble though, I am going to go drive a G35 to get judge the difference $10K makes.

As for the other suggestions:
  • BMW 5 series are over $40K, I'll hold off on that one tell the kids are gone.
  • The Volvos I have driven are adequate, but always seem to not offer any advantage over the leaders in their respective class.
  • Are repair costs as big of an issue to consider these days? It seems everything being built is good for 100K miles with no real issues.
  • While I appreciate the novelty of the mini coopers, I just don't see that working for me. I like the coopers, but I would have to go for a restored original.
  • Are first model year issues really much of a concern especially considering they all seem to be based on some type of existing platform.
  • If I choose to drop down to the Accord/Camry level, I would have to go with the Malibu if nothing else to take advantage of the GM card points.
  • A1995 Taurus SHO? While it might be a respectable sleeper, you don't really expect me to go hunt down a 1995 Ford do you.

Gas was killing me so I got a 94 Mitsubishi Expo its a 1.8litre 4 banger. 35 dollars last me a whole week and thats with the ac on, which I never had with my jeep, and the best thing is its paid off whoot !!!!

88trailcrawler said:
thanks for the replies, Seems I am off to a good start. I drove a Malibu today. Seeing as the last time I bought a new sedan was a '90 a Camry, the Malibu LTZ is pretty well loaded, comfortable, quite and powerful. Not sporty or nimble though, I am going to go drive a G35 to get judge the difference $10K makes.

As for the other suggestions:
  • BMW 5 series are over $40K, I'll hold off on that one tell the kids are gone.
  • The Volvos I have driven are adequate, but always seem to not offer any advantage over the leaders in their respective class.
  • Are repair costs as big of an issue to consider these days? It seems everything being built is good for 100K miles with no real issues.
  • While I appreciate the novelty of the mini coopers, I just don't see that working for me. I like the coopers, but I would have to go for a restored original.
  • Are first model year issues really much of a concern especially considering they all seem to be based on some type of existing platform.
  • If I choose to drop down to the Accord/Camry level, I would have to go with the Malibu if nothing else to take advantage of the GM card points.
  • A1995 Taurus SHO? While it might be a respectable sleeper, you don't really expect me to go hunt down a 1995 Ford do you.

I would also recommend driving that C class you mentioned. The newer benz's are night and day from the old ones. They drive smooth (as always) and now have SWEET brakes and very nice handling. The old days when BMW's were the only drivers car are over. The new C class is also bigger than the outgoing model so being "cramped" inside should not be a problem. I have a 1999 Mercedes and I love it!!! Other than the nitrous backfire (not the cars fault,haha) it has been good to me.....150,000+ miles and going. Doesn't use a drop of synthetic or drip a drop either. I better go knock on wood after saying that or it will blow up tomorrow....haha

88trailcrawler said:
A1995 Taurus SHO? While it might be a respectable sleeper, you don't really expect me to go hunt down a 1995 Ford do you.
Shouldn't be too hard to find, here's 3:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/car/535808011.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/car/535751370.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/car/534870547.html

:)

I don't expect you to get one. Just sharing what my personal all-time favorite commuter car is. If I could afford 2 cars I would likely have one still.

But I can certainly appreciate wanting a newer car. I'm always amazed how quiet and comfortable new cars are when I get the chance to ride in one. My buddy just got a new Mazda 6 and I am really impressed with that.

here buy this ill let it go for 18,000 it gets good mpg and it can also get there fast and beat all those other car you were thinking about

PICT2464.jpg

Back