• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worlds best ratchet???

I always laugh when people put down Craftsman and other "cheap Department store tools", then tout MAC and Matco as "professional grade." Danaher tool makes Craftsman and Matco and MAC is owned and made by Stanley (who made Craftsman 'til 1994). Snap-on stands head and shoulders above the others, but the others are good quality tools. I really would not trust a European tool vs. a Snap-on, sorry, just would't spend my cash on them.

Last edited:
Danaher also owns Gearwrench, Fluke, Kobalt, and a TON of other corporations. I have a Craftsman multimeter. I wouldn't DARE compare it to even the bottom line fluke models. Just because a company owns different other companies, doesn't mean all the tools are made to the same standards and specs.

Same with MAC and Stanley. Stanley also owns Facom, Proto, DeWalt, and a rack of others. They're not all made in the same plant, and they're not all the same quality.

I'd love to do some sort of controlled side by side test with a selection of tools and see who stands up the longest/best.

Danaher also owns Gearwrench, Fluke, Kobalt, and a TON of other corporations. I have a Craftsman multimeter. I wouldn't DARE compare it to even the bottom line fluke models. Just because a company owns different other companies, doesn't mean all the tools are made to the same standards and specs.

Same with MAC and Stanley. Stanley also owns Facom, Proto, DeWalt, and a rack of others. They're not all made in the same plant, and they're not all the same quality.

I'd love to do some sort of controlled side by side test with a selection of tools and see who stands up the longest/best.

Ditto.

Our civilians just got new aviation snap on toolboxes at work.....and EE GADS!!! the price!! the engine box was upwards of 15k.....and i dont dare guess as to the sheetmetal box.

i've used a variety of tools in many makes and models. I've broken snap on and almost fell off the top of a bird i was working on cuz it let go. I honestly still prefer my craftsman stuff. That and its 4 miles from our house to Sears. I like different stuff for different jobs. DeWalt happens to be my new favorite for nice battery operated stuff....the kit i got my dad for fathers day a couple years ago he uses almost on a daily basis and loves it. when we get more cash i'll probably do the same thing for my hubby. In the meantime, the craftsman 19.2 volt drill i got works just fine for what I need it to.

Now i'm on the hunt for a good shop-vac and a decent air compressor kit. might get craftsman, might go with kobalt, who knows. More opinions, reviews, and snooping around on the net before i make the decision.

i used to be all about american tools. but lately its been all stuff from germany. I do love snap on though.

just looked, the company i like does not make sockets. but im sure there are others

I see what you are saying to a point, but the MATCO and Craftsman stuff even look similar. The local fastenal dealer, who carries multiple Danaher lines swears that they are the same tool designs and specs.

I'll have to take a little closer look at some of the tool lines next time I'm out. I'd love to take a few sockets and compare their looks/quality of build/strength. But on the other hand spending $100+ just to break some sh!t isn't too enticing hahaha.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, price, and convenience. Craftsman would be a LOT more appealing if the local sears wasn't about 16 miles away. Whereas SnapOn drives up to the shop at LEAST every other day. MAC shows up every once in a while, but I think that's only when someone breaks something or orders something. And I've never seen a Matco truck.

I'll second/third/whatever people have said about the snapon dual 80 rachets, These are the two that I use the most and and one of these in 1/4" is on the list of things to buy.
one
two

This Stanley twist rachet has come in handy a few times when I just couldn't get the arc to turn the bolt. I originally got it as a Christmas present and wasn't too sure but works very nice and it has a nice handle.

The main reason I buy from Snapon is that the dealer is at the shop every week and when I break something he either has it on the truck or its there the next week. Some of the other tool vendors aren't professional.

MAC is owned and made by Stanley

That's interesting. I got the BIG Stanley socket set at Walmart or something years ago. I did manage to break the 1/2" breaker bar, I forget the exact circumstances, I want to say it involved a spindle nut and stomping on a cheater... I put the cheater on the 1/2" ratchet and that got the nut off :D The 3/8" ratchet direction lever annoyingly randomly flips sometimes. Otherwise it's been a hell of a tool set. Maybe the 3/8ths just needs oil or something...

Just because the same company makes it doesn't mean it's the same thing. Could be different designs, quality standards, materials, etc.

That's interesting. I got the BIG Stanley socket set at Walmart or something years ago. I did manage to break the 1/2" breaker bar, I forget the exact circumstances, I want to say it involved a spindle nut and stomping on a cheater... I put the cheater on the 1/2" ratchet and that got the nut off :D The 3/8" ratchet direction lever annoyingly randomly flips sometimes. Otherwise it's been a hell of a tool set. Maybe the 3/8ths just needs oil or something...

Just because the same company makes it doesn't mean it's the same thing. Could be different designs, quality standards, materials, etc.

You are right... most of Stanley's Wal-Mart (etc...) stuff is made in the far east. My point was that the quality stuff (MAC) and their old Craftsman line (pre-1994) are the same stuff. By the way guys... I DID say that I preferred Snap-On as my favorite... just that the others are still decent tools.

Last edited:
SK is good, Matco is as well. I have a variety of brands in my box tho. The newer craftsman stuff I have seen/used is pretty decent.
I have one of the thin profile 3/8" ratchets with the 60 gear tooth so has a tighter arc. As much as I do like a lot of the better quality tools, craftsman for convience as sears/kmart/osh etc will replace it no questions asked.

http://theundisputedchamp.com/
Its for toolboxes, but still entertaining.
I will say that I believe that website. I saw the same snap-on box they tested go through a concrete block wall, and had mainly cosmetic damage

http://theundisputedchamp.com/
Its for toolboxes, but still entertaining.
I will say that I believe that website. I saw the same snap-on box they tested go through a concrete block wall, and had mainly cosmetic damage

The snap-on box I bought new in 1976 is still in use at home. It has survived several hits by forklifts and being pushed into an inspection pit with only damage to one drawer being stiff and hard to open.

I'd rather spend $5K on a new Jeep than a tool box though.

The snap-on box I bought new in 1976 is still in use at home. It has survived several hits by forklifts and being pushed into an inspection pit with only damage to one drawer being stiff and hard to open.

LOL... Amen to that. I never could understand the whole $5-10K toolbox thing. When I had my own shop I bought a 72"x40" Husky stacked set used for $900 and have used it hard. It still works fine, but is definitely not as pretty as my friend's tool truck boxes. I have more tools inside the box than most of them though and no Snap-on bill. I know it would not survive a trip into an inspection pit though!

I actually paid cash for my jeep, and financed my toolbox, all in the same day a few years ago.
Fortunately, I made out good on trading in my old box. I got full value for my old box, and I had only paid half price for it through UTI.

I just was just in Sears and saw these gear wrench ratchets for 60 bucks. I doubt they are as strong as the Snap-on ratchets and the teeth are not as fine, but at less than half the price they are a nice alternative for those that don't need Snap-on tools.

Back