• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCal NAXJA Sticker - CONTEST!

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Alright everybody, the time has come! We have three submissions for you here, choose your favorite.

Andy Steiner's Design:
andy.jpg

G. Sequoia Armstrong's Design:
sequoia.jpg

Scott Suyeto's Design:
scott.jpg

The voting is open to current NAXJA members in the Southern California area. Send an e-mail to [email protected] with your voting submission. Please include your NAXJA user name and NAXJA member (if you cannot remember your number your first and last name will suffice).

Voting is open through Wednesday, August 4, 2003

Happy voting!

Scott's looks like "Pimp my XJ", but I like.

Kejtar said:
You're thinking shirts which will be next step :D
Oh yeah, I'm not paying enough attention.

When we get ready to do shirts, I have a cuz in the screen printing biz that could probably give us a good deal. He's got a six color press, but one or two colors would be more cost effective.

Dan

Sequoia, since the sketch is doing pretty good I have been trying to clean
up the copy I have. I just need some ideas for "iconnic" (is that a word?!?) So. Cal additives.... I was planning on silhouetting some palm trees in the background or something.....
I don't know how about some ideas. I'm almost done just that I would add something a little more So Calish... Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Thks
Scott Suyeto

RisingSun said:
Sequoia, since the sketch is doing pretty good I have been trying to clean
up the copy I have. I just need some ideas for "iconnic" (is that a word?!?) So. Cal additives.... I was planning on silhouetting some palm trees in the background or something.....
I don't know how about some ideas. I'm almost done just that I would add something a little more So Calish... Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Thks
Scott Suyeto

how about a fake rack in the background? it doesnt get much more socal then that. j/k

I like the palm tree idea

RisingSun said:
Well... since you asked. I like your idea a lot. *I* personally, would like to see smaller tires on the rig. I would like the rig to be more cartoonish to match the cartoon nature of the tires. Something like the LOSTKJ logo. Would really like to see more of the details in the grill. Maybe even a two color drawing so as the highlight the NAXJA. (The the LOSTKJ logo again) Finally, I like the drawing to be a bit more refined and less of a sketch.

p.s. I think it's missing a front pumpkin.

Alright kids, now that I've finally had enough time at home to go through the votes and such Scott's design is the winner (surprise, suprise!)

Andy, as for refined, it will need to be, gonna have to make it into a vector image (Illustrator) in order to get it printed best.

Sequoia

Now that we have a design, any idea as to when we're gonna get anything tangible? How long do you think it will take to get a good image to take to a printer?

-Marisha

RisingSun said:

Thks
Scott Suyeto

How about a Joshua Tree behind or on the side?

Maybe a rock under one tire?

Throw a sunset behind one of the identification features?

I like the Joshua tree idea, I was gonna do that for mine but I coudln't draw one :)

As for timeline, the first thing is turning Scott's design into a vector image. I can do it, but I'm swamped right now at work, if there's anybody here that can quickly vectorize it that'd be great, otherwise I will do it (or just beg my father to do it for me, he's better at that than I).

Scott, give me a ring sometime (Either Friday or after the weekend, I will be out of touch this weekend at the Kern) and we can talk about the modifications you were thinking of, not much point in drawing them in a non-vector format..

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
I like the Joshua tree idea, I was gonna do that for mine but I coudln't draw one :)

As for timeline, the first thing is turning Scott's design into a vector image. I can do it, but I'm swamped right now at work, if there's anybody here that can quickly vectorize it that'd be great, otherwise I will do it (or just beg my father to do it for me, he's better at that than I).

Scott, give me a ring sometime (Either Friday or after the weekend, I will be out of touch this weekend at the Kern) and we can talk about the modifications you were thinking of, not much point in drawing them in a non-vector format..

Sequoia

What do you have to do to get it "vectorized"? I've got a computer guru that might be able to do something like that for us.

-Marisha

wolfheartak said:
What do you have to do to get it "vectorized"? I've got a computer guru that might be able to do something like that for us.

-Marisha

Well, there's two ways to do it. One is automated, some drawing programs (Corel Draw and a program called Adobe Streamline) will do that, and then thre's manually, redrawing it using the source image as a template (tracing it). I'd be drawing it because I've never been good at the automated style, and the source image ins't of very high quality. If yoru buddy can get it done in the automated way fairly accuratly that's cool, it can always be touched up in Illustrator after the fact.

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
Well, there's two ways to do it. One is automated, some drawing programs (Corel Draw and a program called Adobe Streamline) will do that, and then thre's manually, redrawing it using the source image as a template (tracing it). I'd be drawing it because I've never been good at the automated style, and the source image ins't of very high quality. If yoru buddy can get it done in the automated way fairly accuratly that's cool, it can always be touched up in Illustrator after the fact.

Sequoia

Ok, I asked. It's my Big Bro and he usually uses auto cad for engineering, so his work is more technical, but he says he'll give it a shot. He says if there is issues getting it into the vector format, we can us a really high resolution raster format and it would still work. Let's see what he can come up with.

-Marisha

Sequoia,

He needs to know if we can get a higher resolution picture scanned so the autovectorizer has more pixles to work with, and also what format we would like it in. He says because of the size, we may lose some of the sketchy quality (I did tell him, the guide lines like around the lights we don't want) so I didn't know if more defined (I'm thinking like an animation picture rather than a quick sketch) lines is what we want, or if we are trying to keep the quick drawing look, just so I can tell him what the end result should be. Let me know and he says he can probably do it.

-Marisha

wolfheartak said:
Sequoia,

He needs to know if we can get a higher resolution picture scanned so the autovectorizer has more pixles to work with, and also what format we would like it in. He says because of the size, we may lose some of the sketchy quality (I did tell him, the guide lines like around the lights we don't want) so I didn't know if more defined (I'm thinking like an animation picture rather than a quick sketch) lines is what we want, or if we are trying to keep the quick drawing look, just so I can tell him what the end result should be. Let me know and he says he can probably do it.

-Marisha
I'll give Scott a call tonight and see if he can get that for us, that's the highest quality version I've got.

Back