• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So my wife sunk the XJ in a river!!!!

JohnXDoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so on monday me and the wifey went wheeling and we found a river and were driving through it and having fun for a couple of hours. Then I let her drive, and me being a dumb *** decided too let her drive with out me in the car. Well needless to say, she found the one hole in the river too deep for the Jeep. The front end was completly submerged, the entire inside of the jeep up to the windows was full of water, and all lights started coming on randomly. Well we pulled it out, jumped it and finally got it to start. I think it was only running on like 3 maybe 4 cylinders. All the lights slowly started going off and working normally, and the dash lights and gauges all started too work. Well on wed I took finally got under it too work on it. I replaced both the diff oils, the t-case, the engine oil, pulled and cleaned the spark plugs, and flushed the radiator. I havent flushed the trans yet due too not being able too find the right tranny fluid in Japan. So my questions for you guys is what else should do?? It still feels like it running on less than 6 cylinders, Maybe there is water in the gas tank???? Also how important is it too use the mopar tranny fluid???? The airbag and ABS lights stay on???? And I read somewhere that I need a special additive for the rear diff???? Thanks so much guys for the help in advance, I really dont know much about jeeps. Always have had old K5 Blazers and now Japanese cars due too being in Japan!!!!
thumbdown.gif

check for spark on all wires. Do you know how to do that? just pull the plug and leave it attatched to the wire while laying it on the valve cover. try turning it over and if you see an arch then you have spark. Just make sure all electrical connections are dry, especially the distributor. I wouldnt be suprised if you got water still lingering in the distributor cap. Take the cap off and clean all the contact points and rotor.

It has coil packs, so I dont really know how too check that. Some one on another forum said I possibly have a hole in the top of one of my cylinders from Hydro Locking it?????

read the stamped plate on the diff. It will say if it is. also, is the check engine light on?

Use Dextron III for the auto. Nothing else.
Will be a little tag on one of the diff cover bolts if it has not been lost the tells you LSD oil or not. It the tag is gone, jack up the axle and turn the wheel and watch the other side. If turns in the same direction, LSD, if in the opposite, open and no special oil needed.

Yeah the check engine light is on. Probably just from it miss firing. maybe?

And will the diff thing still work where I already changed the fluid???

Yeah the check engine light is on. Probably just from it miss firing. maybe?

And will the diff thing still work where I already changed the fluid???

have you read the code yet? if not get a cheapy scan tool (prob easy to find in japan) and pull the code. That would be the first step.

Of course you blame it on your wife :D

If this isn't treading lightly I guess we had better tell black bears the same thing when they go treading across a river!

A black bear isn't a Jeep.

Black bears don't stay on trails and they climb trees. Sometimes they eat people. Are you going to do those things in your XJ and say it's treading lightly because a bear does it? :roflmao:

When bears DO drive Jeeps, they tread lightly.

YogiX.jpg

Last edited:
A black bear isn't a Jeep.

Black bears don't stay on trails and they climb trees. Sometimes they eat people. Are you going to do those things in your XJ and say it's treading lightly because a bear does it? :roflmao:

When bears DO drive Jeeps, they tread lightly.

YogiX.jpg
my jeep climbs trees.... and i guess could eat people...

Tranny is the same as 80s early 90s toyota supra and pick-ups. there should be tranny fluid available for those.

Was the jeep ever running while the intake was under? If so, you could have bent con rods or valves from pulling water into the cylinders.

Back