• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So my wife sunk the XJ in a river!!!!

Yeah really, It's an offroad park and me driving through the river is the least of that places concern. Japanese people leave busted and broken down cars all over that places and there's more oil and coolant spills there than in Moab. Plus the river is only like maybe 2 feet deep through most of it, and it's man made and the bottom is all gravel and shale rock. Thanks for all the help though guys. I'm headed over to the shop to pull the plugs and check the compression. I'll go from there on what to do next. Hopefully no bent rods, blown head gaskets, or holes in the top of the cylinder.

Ok just got back from the shop. Didn't due much due to lack of money, but checked the compression. 160 all the way across all 6 cylinders. So that's good but could it still have a bent piston rod? I don't know if it'd still have good compression though??? I had the mechanic at the shop hook his computer up too it, and at first it said that it couldn't connect with the computer. After he messed with it and tried some other things he got it too pull 3 codes: p0122 throttle/pedel position sensor/switch a circuit low input, p0080 Exhaust valve control solenoid circuit high (bank 1), P000c (0,0,0,c), Please refer to relevant technical manual.

What do you guys think? Replace the ECU???

Yes, you can have compression and a bend rod.. but not for long.

P0122 is your TPS. Not sure about P0080.. could be that mess over on the right side of the engine compartment. If you haven't already go through every connection and clean it with electrical contact cleaner followed by a light coat of dielectric grease.

Well we drove it probably close to 35 40 miles home from where we were at, so would it still have compression with a bent rod after that? Also I'll go through all the connections and make sure their dry. The thing that got me was that when hooking the computer up to it, when we went through the chrysler setting, the computer wouldn't comunicate. But when we went through just standard OB2 setting we got those codes. The mechanic at the shop thinks it needs a new computer, It's not a shop where they get paid for labor or are even out to make money it's just the shop on base where I can work on my own car, But maybe just the TBS is bad, and somebody told me maybe O2 sensors?

Yes, you can drive with a bent piston rod. I hydrolocked my stock engine. It wasn't missing or anything, just a slight tick. 10,000 miles later and the #5 piston ends up in the oil pan.

I would bet your TPS is bad. They tend to not like water.

I didn't see where anyone asked the obvious ...... got any pictures? nudge, nudge, wink, wink. All kidding aside I hope you get away w/ minor problems....:scared:

dude...if youve driven it after all this, then just go with it. if its running good, then change all the fluids, and go from there. when i hydro locked my engine, and bent a rod it ran for about 5 seconds before throwing 3 pistons through the block.

if its idling without knocking or making any noise, go with it

well it still seems too be running really really rich. It blows black smoke really bad and misses. I cleaned the plugs really good on wed, didn't drive all of maybe like 500 ft and let it run probably a total of half an hour maybe an hour, and the plugs are completely black again. Plus it idles kinda rough and when you drive it, it studers and kinda stalls sometimes. The engine sounds fine, maybe a little knock but I think it might have been there before. Could the tps cause it to do this? What about O2 sensors?

If the TPS is bad, would it be possible that it makes it run rich?
Either way I would start with replacing it if it's throwing a code. See what happens from there.

I don't think the TPS could cause it to run that rich. I would look at what the MAP is telling the PCM if you can. O2 sensors are a possibility as well. If you have someone with a OBD reader that can read live data that would tell a lot. If not, check teh voltage on the MAP and TPS with a multimeter.

As for the engine knock, if there is one, get all the other issues sorted out first. I believe you have a bad sensor or two.

Yes, you can drive with a bent piston rod. I hydrolocked my stock engine. It wasn't missing or anything, just a slight tick. 10,000 miles later and the #5 piston ends up in the oil pan.

I would bet your TPS is bad. They tend to not like water.
x2. i did the same exact thing, around the same miles too...then it put nice half dollar size hole in the yj.

I'd bet on TPS/MAP sensors being bad... maybe you screwed up an O2 sensor or got some water into the wiring to them, which is making it run rich? Not too sure, but that's what I'd guess. Replace TPS, see how it does, replace MAP if needed, let it dry out a bit and go from there.

sensors... then see how it runs... if its smooth and just how it was before, I think you got away with no internal issues. :)

If internals are not good, then it's stroker time. Don't send it to the junk... there's enough XJs there already.

Ok so to kinda bring back an old thread. I finally got all the parts and time to fix the jeep the other day, damn typhoons and earthquakes. But any how I replaced both O2 sensors, all the plugs, and changed the trans filter and fluid. She runs a TON better but still not great. It kinda feels like the tranny is slipping, Should I flush it? I heard once from someone to never flush a Chrysler though that's why I didn't. And she still idles kinda bad, and when you rev her up and let off she kinda has a hard time catching idle. Throttle position sensor???? I pulled all the sensors and computer out and cleaned all the connections, but none of them were still wet or looked bad??? I don't know where too go next with it???? What do you guys think????

Open it up and let the fluids drain out then fill with new fluid.

I wouldn't do a pressure flush because sometimes the pressure will make the seals go bad.

If its gonna go then its gonna go. Change the fluid and see how it runs.

My brother sunk his xj in water 6" from the roof. It still ran afterwards for a few weeks then the rear main went out and it all went down hill. Found a new motor for 25 bucks

Back