• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your thoughts on my setup.

jackieonasses said:
What are you going to do with gearing and 33's?

I'm going with stock for right now. since I only drive 5 miles to work. Eventually I am going to regear, just not sure what brand and ratio to go with. Any preferences.....???

With your planned setup I think you will be making compromises in ride quality (stock arms at a steep angle, stiff Dakota leaf pack, cheap shocks) and safety (brake lines too short, steering issues w/ stock trackbar and control arms).

Go with 31's and 2" budget boost and be happy with something that still drives OK.

Then keep your eyes peeled for the parts you'll need to do it right. For a budget 3-4 inch lift and 33's I would find some axles from a 4 banger and do a change to 4.10 gears, get the YJ extended brake line for the rear and bend and lower your front lines, get a YJ slip yoke if not doing an SYE, get an adjustable trackbar, trim like crazy and run a decent 4-4.5 inch BS on the wheels to fit them properly. Find some drop brackets for the control arms or the ride will be miserable and the steering twitchy.

I did this and ran it for a couple of years, twice on the Rubicon and also to Moab and it goes anywhere. Once you get started you'll want lockers and protection and other things that aren't as glamorous because you'll know what your capabilities are.

My dos centavos.

John90XJ said:
With your planned setup I think you will be making compromises in ride quality (stock arms at a steep angle, stiff Dakota leaf pack, cheap shocks) and safety (brake lines too short, steering issues w/ stock trackbar and control arms).

Go with 31's and 2" budget boost and be happy with something that still drives OK.

Then keep your eyes peeled for the parts you'll need to do it right. For a budget 3-4 inch lift and 33's I would find some axles from a 4 banger and do a change to 4.10 gears, get the YJ extended brake line for the rear and bend and lower your front lines, get a YJ slip yoke if not doing an SYE, get an adjustable trackbar, trim like crazy and run a decent 4-4.5 inch BS on the wheels to fit them properly. Find some drop brackets for the control arms or the ride will be miserable and the steering twitchy.

I did this and ran it for a couple of years, twice on the Rubicon and also to Moab and it goes anywhere. Once you get started you'll want lockers and protection and other things that aren't as glamorous because you'll know what your capabilities are.

My dos centavos.

Thoughts takin. But there seems to be alot of people that run with dakota or s-10 packs in the rear and run extended OEM shocks with stock control arms and track bar that seem to be doing okay. Your thoughts are takin though.

88XJ_FireFighter said:
Thoughts takin. But there seems to be alot of people that run with dakota or s-10 packs in the rear and run extended OEM shocks with stock control arms and track bar that seem to be doing okay. Your thoughts are takin though.

I've had better luck adding stock XJ leaves to a pack with a pair of extended shackles. The ride quality isn't compromised as much and the lift is still there. For cheap shackles consider GM/Chev PU lowering shackles. They do the same job at a lower price point. For stock leaves, cut the main leaf eyes off and slip it under your main leaf and then add a couple more duplicates of your #2, 3 and 4 leaves below and you're good to go. My pack was a total of 7 leaves and worked great.

88XJ_FireFighter said:
What front 3" coils can I get for under a $100? If not I'll go Rusty's.
I have a pair of used RE 3.5" coils I'll sell you for $40.

88XJ_FireFighter said:
Shipped or unshipped.............? Unsed or unused? Did it net you right at 3.5"?
Used and add about $10 for shipping.
Didn't measure them but REs are known for not sagging so they should be fine.
One other thing, I had them powder coated blue so they'll need paint if you are anti blue.

kid4lyf said:
Used and add about $10 for shipping.
Didn't measure them but REs are known for not sagging so they should be fine.
One other thing, I had them powder coated blue so they'll need paint if you are anti blue.

I'll be ready in about a month. Keep me in mind. When I'm ready I will PM ya.

Thanks.

Back