• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj rear bumper blue prints/ plans

i built new bumper brackets out of 1/2 steel. and as of right meow, all of the tubing has not been welded entirely. but now that i have the essential structure of the bumper built, i am going to take it off and finish welding all of the supports, put the bottom rail on, weld on about 6 vertical support bars and back the whole thing with 1/4" steel. also on the photobucket album, i am uploading a rough picture of the finished product will look like after the second horizontal bar is on and all the vertical supports have been welded in. as soon as i buy more pipe, i will begin building the swing-away spare tire mount. but the good news is that my total cost for the bumper at this point looks like this: $20 for pipe $8 for a cobalt drill bit. i am buying another 10ft of pipe today which brings the total cost for this project up to $48 not bad for a custom rear bumper. i am estimating that the spare carrier will probably double that in metal costs

Dude, he just said he spent 20 bucks on pipe... draw your own conclusions :greensmok

Drop that bumper on a rock once and its all over! What is the wall thickness?

EDIT: I love this idea, looking at building a custom rear tire carrier bumper sometime so I'll definitely have to steal your ideas. Are you going to make use of the hitch attachment bolt holes as well to spread the load a bit? The rear crossmember is not all that strong, the 8 bolt holes on the back of it just go to pressed-in nuts in tabs on the ends of the frame rails. Speaking of which, anyone who is running an aftermarket or custom bumper, make sure you have all 8 of those bolts installed and tightened down! If you don't, only 5 small spot welds hold the end of each frame rail to the crossmember!

i found that the easiest way to avoid having to incorporate the hitch into my design was just to improve upon jeeps original structure. like you said, just those bolts and the spot welds are all you have. what i did was removed those press fit nuts from the frame rail, and replaced them instead with grade 8 hardware that was bigger than the holes (with washers of the same grade) then in lieu of that maneuver, i re-welded the frame rails original welds but all the way down on each side (as best i could without taking everything apart) for my intentions, this should be much more strength than needed. i dont plan on putting a rear mounted winch on my bumper. the extent of its stress will probably come solely from the weight of the gear i am going to put on the (at this time non existant) spare tire carrier.

wall thickness is roughly 1/4" but again, i am not intending for this bumper to be winching me out of anything. i have my hitch for that if necessary. hopefully with some masterful driving, i wont have to worry about that ; ) im mainly looking for a spare carrying option and a little better articulation out of the rear axle/suspension. just incase you didnt notice from the pictures, i trimmed my rear fenders. *highly recommend doing that btw. does wonders from the animosity of your xj

wall thickness is roughly 1/4" but again, i am not intending for this bumper to be winching me out of anything. i have my hitch for that if necessary. hopefully with some masterful driving, i wont have to worry about that ; ) im mainly looking for a spare carrying option and a little better articulation out of the rear axle/suspension. just incase you didnt notice from the pictures, i trimmed my rear fenders. *highly recommend doing that btw. does wonders from the animosity of your xj

What pictures? You haven't posted any yet. :banghead:

How about this?

IMG00243.jpg

It's, uh, basic.

Robert

IMG00247.jpg

:confused1

I can't wait until you release the blueprints!

again, i would like to reiterate, IT IS NOT FINISHED YET! here is an EXTREMELY rough idea as to what the finished product will look like BEFORE the spare carrier is on.
bumperprojection.jpg
yellow being more tube and grey being solid steel behind the tube (forgot to shade the triangle sections)

I like to finish a project before I start posting pics of it.

That way I can see if I'm really going to want to show it off.

Your way is braver. :D

Robert

and like i said earlier, this is extremely premature. i still have to take it off, finish the welds, put the bottom bar on, the vertical supports, the vanity plate behind the tubes, and make everything look pretty (grinding off excessive welding, painting.. etc)

Back