• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter Run Fun! Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
I think a previous thread was already started, but why start a new one.

With that, I really want ot try to do my part as your VP to do something with my position. Unfortunately, due to the sale and building of my new house, I have not been able to participate in SC events like I had planned to this year. With that, I know I won't be able to make to anything until after December, when my new house should be done and I will be moved in.

Then the only thing holding me back is, my crack in my steering box (soon to be fixed with an SBS) and mounting my 14.50 Dick Cepeks. Hopefully I'll have this done in November.

Anyway, it looks like we have some early snow fall. So that should make December a great time to plan a run. I know there was always a run held by CA4WDC, Winter Fun Fest on January 14-16.

As long as everything goes well with my house, I would like to plan a trip up to Bald Mtn. in January. Either New Years Eve Weekend or the 22-23. This is a great trip for all rig levels. The main roads are plowed, and you are only required to carry a set of chains. If you don't come to wheel there is plenty of snow for all to play in.

Please chime in if anyone else wants to set up a run!

Oh I am so in. I can leave the wife and son with the in-laws down in Leemore and have total fun that weekend. I haven't been to Bald Mtn. in the winter. Think 31 LTBs and a D44 locked by lincoln will do OK?

You'll be fine. I'm looking forward to playing in the snow as much as possible this winter too. Here's the road to the bald mountain trailhead last year. I'm locked front and rear, the TJ was open front and rear, the ZJ had quadratrac and I think LS in the rear. None of us had any problems...after we aired down :)

BALD MTN

Bald sounds good. I've never been there yet. Anyone up for doing the Malkoff Diggins/Bowman Lake trail around Christmas? My sister, b.i.l., nephew are coming from IL from 12/21 - 1/1, so I'd like to take them on a snow run eventhough they are leaving the snow behind in IL. This is mountain snow so it is different and better up here in Cali. :laugh3: I was thinking of going on a snow run 12/25-26 or something like that for a day run. They want to go to Disneyland and Southern Cal as well so we don't have alot of time, my bro is coming to install my hardwood floors in my place when he is here and I'm paying for the 3 of them to come out here. Anyone up for it???
Troy

Big Red said:
Bald sounds good. I've never been there yet. Anyone up for doing the Malkoff Diggins/Bowman Lake trail around Christmas? My sister, b.i.l., nephew are coming from IL from 12/21 - 1/1, so I'd like to take them on a snow run eventhough they are leaving the snow behind in IL. This is mountain snow so it is different and better up here in Cali. :laugh3: I was thinking of going on a snow run 12/25-26 or something like that for a day run. They want to go to Disneyland and Southern Cal as well so we don't have alot of time, my bro is coming to install my hardwood floors in my place when he is here and I'm paying for the 3 of them to come out here. Anyone up for it???
Troy

OMG, your forcing your family to stay with you for Christmas and a snow run! Poor family :tears: :bawl: I can see the sign now :helpme:

I think they'll also probably ditch you at DisneyLand, :moon:

If you didn't read the title, this is a planning thread, not a family vacation. :D

ChuckD said:
OMG, your forcing your family to stay with you for Christmas and a snow run! Poor family :tears: :bawl: I can see the sign now :helpme:

I think they'll also probably ditch you at DisneyLand, :moon:

If you didn't read the title, this is a planning thread, not a family vacation. :D

Whatever Chuck. I see many times that snow runs very family orientated and its fun to see some snow after being rained on in the lower elevations. My brother-in-law is putting in the hardwood floors in my place and also getting a vacation away from the flat Midwest. I'll show them a good time here in Cali.

I think Chuck's point is...

Big Red said:
Bald sounds good. I've never been there yet. Anyone up for doing the Malkoff Diggins/Bowman Lake trail around Christmas? My sister, b.i.l., nephew are coming from IL from 12/21 - 1/1, so I'd like to take them on a snow run eventhough they are leaving the snow behind in IL. This is mountain snow so it is different and better up here in Cali. :laugh3: I was thinking of going on a snow run 12/25-26 or something like that for a day run. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah have blah blah blah , blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah ???
Troy

That about right Chuck?

basalt51 said:
I think Chuck's point is...

That about right Chuck?

You guys suck!!! :nono: :D Whatever :rolleyes:
So no small talk huh? :D

So to get back on topic when/who can go on the Bald run sometime in late Nov/Dev/Jan? Anyone up for a turkey snow run? I've wheeled with a group here in Sac (Boonie Bouncers) and they fry up a turkey for lunch on a run they do (Red Dog run around Grass Valley).

Last edited:
basalt51 said:
You'll be fine. I'm looking forward to playing in the snow as much as possible this winter too. Here's the road to the bald mountain trailhead last year. I'm locked front and rear, the TJ was open front and rear, the ZJ had quadratrac and I think LS in the rear. None of us had any problems...after we aired down :) Bolded is bla bla bla
BALD MTN

Nice pics Jason. Your stuff is alot more relevant than mine, I know.

Last edited:
dandecicco said:
ummmm Turkey . . . Do they do the run up 50 or 80, when, and how much?

It's a free run. I'm not a member of the club just have been a guest for a few years and made maybe 3 runs with them. You can look them up at booniebouncers.com
The run is off of I-80 around Grass Valley (it's called Red Dog) and is in a river area. There are some trails branching off from the river area, but mostly the river is very shallow and there is plenty of stuff to mess around in along the river, following the river (more of a creek). It's alot of fun. I did really good on the run with my 95' zj on 3" lift and 31" at's I showed so many guys up in YJ's with 4" lift and 33's, it was lots of fun. :D

Since this is a general "Winter Run Fun" thread I guess this chit chat is o.k.
Let's get some stuff planned, the winter season has really come early but fun is still possible, just a more wet and messy kind. Anyone up for a Hollister Hills run weekend as well or Malokoff Diggins with a stop over to Prairie City???
Please post up peoples.

dandecicco said:
Since you are in Sacratamatoe, why drive all the way to Hollister Hills. I would be up to a trip to Frank Raines in Patterson. Good little day trip and BBQ fun. Maybe Nov. 6th?

Heah, Hollister is fun in the winter when it's nice and muddy. There are lots of easy to moderate stuff that I saw that is fun. It's like a easier version of the Badlands in Indiana. I like the mud and this is a place where I can get some of it in a forest area. It's also not to expensive at $4/day $40/yr. I like doing it and then going to Monterey with the wife. I wasn't able to partake in the Hollister run as much as I wanted early this year with the NAXJA group because I got totally lost getting there, but the rivine area looked fun, just ask Letterman. ;)

That's the place Dan. The Boonie Bouncers always meet in the Denny's parking lot off of I-80 in Newcastle just 10 minutes or so east of Roseville. I'm planning on making it, do you want to join me, other???
The group is fairly mild and some people brought some stuff to shoot at wheel/talk. The area is fun and I rounded some people up to wheel down the creek. It's pretty tame, but still fun. Thanks for those vent windows. Do you by any chance have the lever part???
Troy

Last edited:
Are you talking about Bitch or Rutt at Holister? they are all good runs and it was where 4 wheel drive mag. did its top truck challenge and many of them couldn't make it up. I have no idea why they couldn't. I am not sure of that weekend as I know some family stuff is comming up at the end of Nov. and I might need to save my wheel time for a Snow run up Bald Mountain. I do like HH but might jsut doa quick trip to Frank Raines the first weekend of Nov. I can be there in an hour and back home before 5.

dandecicco said:
Since you are in Sacratamatoe, why drive all the way to Hollister Hills. I would be up to a trip to Frank Raines in Patterson. Good little day trip and BBQ fun. Maybe Nov. 6th?

It's fun, but with the gas prices being as high as they are, I'd think about it awhile unless there was a good size group going or so. Have you ever been up to Cow Mountain. I wonder how challenging that stuff is?

What do you guys like here more the mud or snow in the Winter? I'm game for either or both at the same time. :D Gotta love it, no dust in the lungs this time of year when wheeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back