• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why not run a 4 link up front?

I'm gonna be very blunt...take it or leave it :D

If your asking this question...then 404's are probably something you shouldn't be considering right now.

I know people personally that run mogs on both buggies and full bodied rigs. If you plan on running this with a full bodied rig (which I am assuming) then your rig will be a skyscraper even with only 4" or so of uptravel. 4" of uptravel sounds somewhat reasonable, but you will want more if you really wheel it (know several rigs that setup initially with little uptravel (~4") and after wheeling for a short time had to have more. Fitting mogs tends to be something where the chassis is built around the axles, or ya don't care about having a low COG what so ever.

Where is the engine in a unimog anyways? If it's over one of the axles, how is the clearance / how is it set up? Flat engine? Ultra high mounting?

EDIT: as per wikipedia, a 404 has an inline 6 2.2L engine... no word on where it's mounted though, anyone know before I google?

Last edited:

If your asking this question...then 404's are probably something you shouldn't be considering right now.

I know people personally that run mogs on both buggies and full bodied rigs. If you plan on running this with a full bodied rig (which I am assuming) then your rig will be a skyscraper even with only 4" or so of uptravel. 4" of uptravel sounds somewhat reasonable, but you will want more if you really wheel it (know several rigs that setup initially with little uptravel (~4") and after wheeling for a short time had to have more. Fitting mogs tends to be something where the chassis is built around the axles, or ya don't care about having a low COG what so ever.

I'm not really looking for up travel as I am down travel. And yes I know the MOGs are possibly a step in the wrong direction. And yes this will be a full bodied rig.

x2

The OP should very much take it.

Who cares what type of suspesnion layout you wanna run, you have much greater issues at hand. Planning on doing some pinion conversions or something? You've got a very large pinion snout to worry about clearing and some shorter driveshaft lengths to result. Packaging the setup is gunna be very difficult, espicially on a full bodied XJ. Theres been a very few who have gotten portals under XJ's on Pirate.

Good build thread...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415385

My personal favorite is the EMS Offroad rig...

Img_7867.jpg

Img_7866.jpg

Img_7870.jpg

Back