• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why I won't be doing any wheeling this year.

Looks awesome Eric! I can't wait to see those 37s centered in the new wheel well with a pretty coilover sitting behind it...keep up the good work!

Looks sick! But why not continue the fender tube straight all the way back then down into the rear bumper like a true comp cut? I've sen it done on a couple different XJ's and it looks much cleaner. They were both running 40's too though.

None of the hatch is shaved, its all stock.

Lol yeah I meant the license plate holder cover thingy with the lights in it. I'm guessing there are some holes behind it somewhere to run wiring for those lights. Shaved meaning like shaved door handles on a custom truck or something haha. I'm well aware of what a stock 97-01 hatch looks like ;)

sick! been watching this for a while, cant wait to see the rear suspension setup. good call going inside the frame rails, the 37's will rub them when flexed if ran on the outside. one thing i figured out is if you run a higher axle side coilover bracket, the coilover will have less movement towards and away from the frame rail. if you're just barely hitting the frame, raise the whole coilover a 1/2" or so.

A few things to keep in mind when looking at the pics -

1) ride height will be 1" - 2" lower after weight is added.

2) tire in pic is still a 35.

Trust me I've thought long and hard about doing the full comp-cut thing and studied just about every photo I could find (VETS XJ can vouch for that). Not everyone might like it but I am confident the end result will be very clean and effective. The main reason not to go straight back with the tube is because this way it leaves room for tail lights (I don't want to put them in the hatch) and it ties into the corners of the bumper.

Once the sides are skinned it should look even better.

Also about the tire size - I would have gone with a bigger tire, 38 or 39 (maybe) if Goodyear made any that aren't too wide (38's are 14.50 wide...) and yes I am partial to the MT/Rs. I've had three sets of old-school MT/Rs and they have never let me down, unlike Interco. Also I know I could fit larger tires in back with this much clearance, the issue is up front. When I tubed out those fenders I specifically made them to fit 37's. Too much more tire and I'll be into the rubbing / have to bumpstop more phase again and I'd really like to run the 37's at least for a while and enjoy the clearance. Besides I don't really need any bigger tires anyway - at least that's what I've told myself each time going from 31's - 33's - 35's... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I must say I was over Eric's house on Monday. That thing is sweet in person.

sad to say I didn't get much done on the jeep this week. I had a little bumper project I was helping another jeeper with...

I know of some super cool tube doors coming.. :thumbup:

Back to the gas tank relocation...

Here's the new floor made out of 1/8" plate.

1946.jpg

I matched the angle of the stock tank for more clearance and will be flipping the tank 180*.

1949.jpg

The rails on the floor are made out of 2" square tube halved. The tank fits snug on top of them with no side to side movement. They also act as risers to clear the sump in the tank which sits slightly lower (~1/4") than the rest of the tank.

1981.jpg

Here's the new floor in place to check fitment and clearances.

1954.jpg

From the bottom, again just a mock-up. It will be fully welded in when its time to do so.

1956.jpg

And the new location for the filler door:

1962.jpg

Looks great Eric, I will have to come over soon to take a look.

Back