• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why all the Rusty's hate?

*Personally, the best thing I ever did was to read Cal's and RWK Haus Supply build threads and adopt many of their post race inspection and maintenance ideas for my XJ. I may not be racing it, but it is 26 years old and it takes a beating every time I drive it off the trailer. It doesn't matter what lift you are running, if you don't maintain it you will have parts failures.

If you genuinely mean that, take this to heart too:

I won't knowingly wheel advanced trails with people who run rusty's suspension parts. That does not count springs, but steering, trackbar, links. I have just seen too many fail to be comfortable with it.

If you genuinely mean that, take this to heart too:

I won't knowingly wheel advanced trails with people who run rusty's suspension parts. That does not count springs, but steering, trackbar, links. I have just seen too many fail to be comfortable with it.

Just like, I will never run a Rubicon Express part because of the failures I've seen. We've just had to weld too many of them back together in the middle of a trail or on an Overland trip.

Cal, I know what you are saying and I can prove that I have taken it to heart. My steering was fabbed by a KOH chassis builder and by this time next year every suspension component outside of springs will be from Ruff Stuff or the local steel supplier. But I also don't believe any store bought kit was built well enough to handle tire larger than 35s.

But I also don't believe any store bought kit was built well enough to handle tire larger than 35s.

I think there are a couple of specific exceptions, but in general I would not argue that.

To the OP, on my last lifted XJ (85 Wagoneer) I had the older design of BDS adjustable trackbar that used a Chevy TRE and had a lifetime warranty. I had to replace the joint on it in less than 6 months because it broke off at the threads just like the Jeep in that video. Some of that failure might also have to do with the engineering change in O.E. level replacement parts manufacturing process changes and the specific engineered purpose for that steering component being used in a way in which it wasn't designed. The TRE was originally made out of much better metals and built in the U.S. with much better quality control than what's in place now with almost everything being made offshore by the lowest bidder.
I've been a Jeep mechanic for over 20 years now. I figure the reason that style fails is because of the leverage forces working against the threaded portion is so great. It isn't as much of an issue with a double shear style or something beefy like the JKS or new design BDS because of how large the threaded portion is in diameter over the original thought process of industry was ok to use.
I'm glad all of the manufacturers of aftermarket lift parts for Jeeps realized that beefy overkill parts were an absolute necessity for even the pavement pounders, let alone the competition people and everyone in between. The TREE style adjustable trackbar design has been around a very long time, just about every suspension company that has ever built anything for an XJ has built one that style at some point...

Last edited:
Did not and will not read this entire thread. Another Rusty's trackbar failure here. about 10 years ago I was making a left turn out of a dip and the joint broke in half at the threads. Clipped a bus and nearly went on the sidewalk full of college students walking to class.

I would never buy Rusty's products and will spend the rest of my life talking shit about them...to be quite honest, I'm amazed that they are still in business and haven't been sued.

Did not and will not read this entire thread. Another Rusty's trackbar failure here. about 10 years ago I was making a left turn out of a dip and the joint broke in half at the threads. Clipped a bus and nearly went on the sidewalk full of college students walking to class.

Thats great, but can you give him a specific example of why their parts suck? :roll:

I would never buy Rusty's products and will spend the rest of my life talking shit about them...to be quite honest, I'm amazed that they are still in business and haven't been sued.

I have seen good and bad on Rustys. On my 96 XJ I ran their double shear TB with crossover brace and it was a great upgrade to my single shear adjustable crap that broke twice. I have their front springs and don't like them all that much as they squeak and pop often. Probably go with another manufacturer when I decide to change my springs.

There are very few manufacturers that build fully "bullet proof" parts for XJs, and if they are bullet proof you will have to pay top dollar. Cheap or Strong......choose one but rarely will you find both

Keep in mind that if you choose to modify your cherokee, most manufacturers have a clause that their parts are for offroad use only, so they are covered if you wreck or break something while driving on the street. Its simple business practice, otherwise there would be a lot of bankrupt parts builders and companies. The onus would definitely be on the XJ owner to show that the part was installed correctly, used as instructed, and not abused...........so yeah.

I read most of this thread (Now there is time God won't give back to me ;) ).
I've had some Rusty's parts because they are what I could afford at the time. That didn't mean by Jeep wasn't well built, it just meant it was built with what I could afford.

Seems to me that most of their equipment is priced appropriately for what it is. Some of their parts, like the 1" drop cross member that doesn't give up ground clearance, is an interesting idea and reasonably cheap compared to other fixes. The Track Bar setup has a known failure point at the Rod End threads, which I would have thought they would have addressed by now... but there isn't a NTHSA for Off-Road parts, just reputation. Other than that, there are lots of Jeeps out there with either entire lift kits installed, or a part here and a part there, and on the whole, they have many satisfied customers.

There was a point made about maintenance. You either do it at home, or you do it on the trail in the middle of Tim-Buk-Tu. Your choice. Same is said about street only vehicles. A lifted vehicle is prone to more wear issues than a non-lifted one and requires more maintenance. It is the nature of the beastie.

Rustys used to be a Sponsor on NAXJA, then they left. They were encouraged to come back, and frankly I don't know what their status is now. Sponsors help this Club cover expenses and put on events.

I know Users and Members on this Forum appreciate the honest input of fellow XJ owners. That said, what Sponsor (fill in the Sponsor of choice here) would want to see their name smeared on a National Forum, by Club Members they Support? Something to think about when ranking Members start to badmouth a Vendor, or a Potential Vendor.

~Ron

Last edited:
I read most of this thread (Now there is time God won't give back to me ;) ).
I've had some Rusty's parts because they are what I could afford at the time. That didn't mean by Jeep wasn't well built, it just meant it was built with what I could afford.

Seems to me that most of their equipment is priced appropriately for what it is. Some of their parts, like the 1" drop cross member that doesn't give up ground clearance, is an interesting idea and reasonably cheap compared to other fixes. The Track Bar setup has a known failure point at the Rod End threads, which I would have thought they would have addressed by now... but there isn't a NTHSA for Off-Road parts, just reputation. Other than that, there are lots of Jeeps out there with either entire lift kits installed, or a part here and a part there, and on the whole, they have many satisfied customers.

There was a point made about maintenance. You either do it at home, or you do it on the trail in the middle of Tim-Buk-Tu. Your choice. Same is said about street only vehicles. A lifted vehicle is prone to more wear issues than a non-lifted one and requires more maintenance. It is the nature of the beastie.

Rustys used to be a Sponsor on NAXJA, then they left. They were encouraged to come back, and frankly I don't know what their status is now. Sponsors help this Club cover expenses and put on events.

I know Users and Members on this Forum appreciate the honest input of fellow XJ owners. That said, what Sponsor (fill in the Sponsor of choice here) would want to see their name smeared on a National Forum, by Club Members they Support? Something to think about when ranking Members start to badmouth a Vendor, or a Potential Vendor.

~Ron

Well put.....and I remember seeing their name show up in the "sponsored link" that accompanies every NAXJA webpage in the upper right hand corner earlier today. Food for thought.

All of this BS and I just put it on the road and have a squeak coming from the JKS rear shackle (not the Rusty's parts).....very ironic. I'm betting it just needs to be tightened but how crazy that there is an issue with the "reputable" part and not the ones everyone seems to hate.

Anyway its aligned and seems to ride well outside of the squeak (if I rock it back and forth with my head at the rear end the shackle to frame connection is the squeak), Iron Rock double shear bar and front sway links will be here later this week Ill swap out and realign and hope for the best.

A squeak doesn't kill you. It's a 13 year old vehicle you're building for offroad performance, a squeak even warrants mentioning?

A broken track bar does kill you.

This thread is dumb.

I have run a lot of Rusty parts and I have wheeled a lot on them on both the east and west coast in the last 10 years.

I absolutely love the engine trans skid. Its taken a beating, saved both the tranny and oil pan many times. I highly recommend it.

I run the half guards on my diffs. I dont race, but I do drive aggressively on bigger obstacles and have hit it hard many times. I back up and try a different line. No damage to the stock diff covers underneath. Good stuff.

I have run two different sets of Rustys front adjustable control arm. The first were rubber on both ends, wristed, and one broke between the bearing shell and the arm on a very mild trail ride. I got them for free, used. I slid on them, dropped on them and generally treated them very roughly. I called Rusty's told them they broke and they offered to replace them with upgraded arms (all 4 not just the broken one) for free. I told them I got them for free and they still insisted on replacing them for free. Back story is that these units, sold until 2008 were hand welded (thin bearing shells, thick arms) and the guy did not do a good job. I was told he got fired and Rusty's wanted to do right by their customers (lawyers or not, they did right by me). I was told they now have these parts machine welded.

I got the upgraded arms in 2010, forged housing ends with rebuild-able innards on one end and rubber on the other. They have never let me down though I have had to rebuild them once. Its a wear item so no big deal. Same end that Rough Country uses I think. Not the greatest ever designed but plenty good enough for Odessa, Doran, Superstition, Rubicon, Crozet, Rausch, and many runs up Corum at the Cove.

I have had great customer service, gotten good use out of all my Rusty's parts and could not be happier with them.

I have seen two of the TRE end track bars break (I run RE HD bar, brace & bracket). In both cases the rigs were lifted around 5 inches. Thats more than Rusty's recommends for this bar, too much lift puts the threads into bending, threads=stress risers=fracture.

I am building a long arm system and am going custom using a couple local shops. Rusty's parts are great for trail riding and reasonably abusive wheeling. I am beyond that point and need more than what they offer.

No regrets, great service, good parts.

John

He's not talking about that, he's talking about you being dumb and blaming a squeak as a problem. 13 year old vehicles squeak, did you even tighten the shackle properly?

Wow did you even read my post? I said "it probably just needs to be tightened". Believe me I know the difference between the standard Jeep noises and the squeak coming from a part that was just installed. I don't think its a major issue but I was kind of freaking out given all of the doom and gloom thinking that my Rusty's bushing had just failed after 1/2 mile drive down the road and was relieved that it was something else.

Anyway on to an actual question, no squeaking this morning on ride into work, could the cold temp play any part or is it possible that the grease just worked its way into the JKS fitting?

I've been running a Rusty's 4.5 spring pack lift since 2005 and no problems including their trac bar. Is it the best? No, but still good quality. This is my experence.

This is the most retarded thread I have ever seen. Many specific examples of why their shit sucks have been given but questions aren't being answered? You guys really can't be this dense.

I have run a lot of Rusty parts and I have wheeled a lot on them on both the east and west coast in the last 10 years.

I absolutely love the engine trans skid. Its taken a beating, saved both the tranny and oil pan many times. I highly recommend it.

John

Do you have pics of the skid? I have looked at it and have never seen installed pics.

Back