• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why all the Rusty's hate?

this is reality, not gutter.

Track bar before unless alignment or you will need two alignments. When you move the axle your steering wheel will become crooked.

Don't grease rubber bushings. Use good quality bushings and change them when they are old and tired (should be more than a few years).

I've wondered about the 'Rusty's hate' too.

There are Rusty's parts on my Jeep and I don't have trouble with them. Some parts I wouldn't buy there, but my skids and my intake work fine. I have never had trouble dealing with Rusty on the phone. Back when I was in college and I broke my control arm mounts, Rusty's had the only replacements I could find. They outlived the Jeep. My old YJ had a Rusty's lift kit. It had poly bushings which wore out, but all poly bushings wear out. It was the best kit I could afford at the time and it allowed me to have a lot of fun.

I am skeptical of the threaded adjustable trackbar regardless of who makes it. My jeep has a stock trackbar with the lower hole relocated to center the axle with a 3 inch lift. Most of my driving is pavement or logging roads, but I do more serious stuff occasionally and the OEM trackbar has been fine. The OEM bar is one piece. A lot of the added beef on the aftermarket bars is needed just to make the 2 piece bar as a strong as 1 piece. Double-shear is definitely a better design, but non-adjustable double-shear would be the best IMO.

There seems to be a lot of ego wrapped up in parts recommendations. Look at all the posts where people insist your Jeep is going to explode if you use 3/16ths tubing for rocker replacement instead of 1/4 or what happens when someone asks about a winch that doesn't say warn on the sticker.

I just don't get it overall, I have asked multiple times what the issue is with Rusty's bushings and I get nothing. I just want to learn and understand but no one seems to be able to see through this blind hate of Rusty's enough to actually explain to me what is the issue (not with customer service or overall or whatever) with this particular part. I guess if the hate is well deserved so be it, but beyond the track bar which everyone seems to hate I have found many positive reviews of the rest of the parts of the lift kit.

I ordered the XJ /ZJ Adjustable Double Shear Track Bar Kit from Iron Rock because I have read on multiple sites where people have issues with the TRE track bar but I cannot justify blindly pulling out other parts from the kit because "Rusty's sux dude"...

Seems to me from a neutral perspective if anyone had a good experience with Rusty's they would never speak up for fear of being shunned and bullied....

I just don't get it overall, I have asked multiple times what the issue is with Rusty's bushings and I get nothing. I just want to learn and understand but no one seems to be able to see through this blind hate of Rusty's enough to actually explain to me what is the issue (not with customer service or overall or whatever) with this particular part. I guess if the hate is well deserved so be it, but beyond the track bar which everyone seems to hate I have found many positive reviews of the rest of the parts of the lift kit.

I ordered the XJ /ZJ Adjustable Double Shear Track Bar Kit from Iron Rock because I have read on multiple sites where people have issues with the TRE track bar but I cannot justify blindly pulling out other parts from the kit because "Rusty's sux dude"...

Seems to me from a neutral perspective if anyone had a good experience with Rusty's they would never speak up for fear of being shunned and bullied....

I don't understand how you can say you get nothing. The parts don't last, and at times fail catastrophically (more often than other brands by a long shot). I can't say "this one product consistantly has one failed weld" or something that we can point out. In general, Rusty's quality control is very poor, and there are A LOT of failures that should never have happened, don't happen with other brands, but seem to just happen none the less.

As far as bushings go; not all rubber is made equal. Crappy rubber wears out faster.

It sounds like you are trying to justify the fact that you already paid for and own Rustys parts.

I run their 2" lift springs and AAL in the rear. I have no issue them. However, from what I have read, and listening to people who have actual real world experience, I would never run any of their critical part like steering, bushings or linkage. Why? Because I trust people here. I don't need to question their advice beyond that. The answers have been more than adequate.

Last edited:
I had poor Rustys customer service experience years ago, I am not sure what it was that I called about to confirm fitment. Axles or something that I wanted to be sure fit and the guy on the phone seemed seriously annoyed having to answer my call. When I started asking about fitment he kept saying it should say on the site. When I told him it didn't say and thats why I was calling he just put me on hold no warning or anything, I thought I was hung up on. I think he finally said that 'yes it should fit', overall terrible experience on the phone.

In all fairness I had the opposite experience. The guy was super helpful and nice. The only problem was the AAL fell out of the box and UPS delivered an empty package. LOL. They quickly sent out a new set. No issues with service. My gripe was that those 2" AAL gave me about 4" of lift. So their "2 inch lift kit" gave me a serious stink bug stance.

If you name a lift company I can find you someone that says they suck. Rusty's got a bad rap from people running the TRE track bar and having the TRE fail. The reality is they should have been running a double shear track bar.

Personally I've seen more Rubicon Express and Rough Country parts failures than any other brand. And if you want to talk about defective right out of the box then look no further than Rugger Ridge or Omix-Ada.

You've been beaten to death in this thread with the correct answer. The fact that they sell known to be bad parts in first place. Why in the world would you want to give your hard earned $ to that company instead of one that actually cares about your life above a profit margin?

It's on par with using lead paint. :sure:

Wow the hate is bordering on irrational.

I have the Rusty's lift kit on my Jeep for good or bad, I am curious and willing to learn what the shortcomings of it are so that I can keep an eye on it and attempt to properly maintain it. All I seem to get is that I am putting my life in danger by running their lift kit so it seems all you guys want to do is bash not help when I keep asking.

I ordered the holy grail of track bars (Iron Rock Double Shear), but one more question:

Why is Iron Rock not flamed for this? To be fair if Rusty's Track Bar is junk aren't all of the others with TRE ends??

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...een=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SATB

Wow the hate is bordering on irrational.

I have the Rusty's lift kit on my Jeep for good or bad, I am curious and willing to learn what the shortcomings of it are so that I can keep an eye on it and attempt to properly maintain it. All I seem to get is that I am putting my life in danger by running their lift kit so it seems all you guys want to do is bash not help when I keep asking.

I ordered the holy grail of track bars (Iron Rock Double Shear), but one more question:

Why is Iron Rock not flamed for this? To be fair if Rusty's Track Bar is junk aren't all of the others with TRE ends??

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...een=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SATB

your beating a dead horse to pulp no one is going to give you what you seek my last xj had all Rusty's parts and I had no breakage just some general complaints (more or less to do with how i set things up) my buddies xj is currently running their OTK heim steering on the street and in the rocks and its hasnt broken or worn out yet its actually quite beefy as well as their OTK track-bar, i have a nother friend who has my old rustys adjustable track bar and drop bracket and its 4+ years old and is still going fine DD and rocks, and have a buddy with a TJ with a whole lift from rusty's (shocks, coils, track-bars, steering, etc...) and he has had it for DD for 3 years and rockcrawling like crazy still no issues so as has been said once you name any brand you will find someone somewhere with negative opinions sometimes i feel the rusty's hate is bandwagon even though its way better than a friends full rough country lift which is terrible (but hasnt broken yet over years of DD and rockcrawling)

maintenance should be left to making sure everything is set up properly keep bushings greased and bolts tight your not offroading so you dont need to worry about bumpstops (lack of can destroy shocks and springs) honestly you should have nothing to worry about i had issues with Rustys forged flex ends but they can be upgraded to Currie johnny joints which are a lot better (axle end bushings in rusty's control arms are OE bushings)

Thank you, so make sure all bolts stay torqued, you said grease the bushings someone else said no? I was thinking keep the rubber clean and soak with white lithium grease??

I would have to say the lack of understanding what people with prior knowledge are telling you is irrational. I took interest in this thread and have read it through out. From what I read you "hypothetically" think all parts are created in the same place, welded by the same weldor, and built to the same quality control and thus Rusty's should be equal to any other, and are unjustly accused of shortcomings.

Obviously this is not the case, and thats where the issues come into play. A prime example of your lack of understanding is in the bushing statements. Just because two items look very similar does not make them of equal build quality. I have seen a kit car that "looked" just like a Ferrari, but was a Pontiac Fiero with a really nice body kit. You are probably saying "but thats not the same thing". I would say it is exactly the same thing. What these guys are telling you is Rusty's simply doesn't put the needed effort into ensuring each and all of their parts are properly put together and meet a HIGH standard of quality control. How do they know this, most all of them have seen at least one failure. What this in turn means is the uneducated folks whom don't research what they are buying, fail to take advice, or simply know nothing about how components come together will continue to buy their products because its what they can afford to buy. Its capitalism at its best. Produce a product at a price folks are willing to pay and in turn for the price, accept the shortcomings of the product.

You stated you didn't expect to see good reviews of Rusty's products. I am positive there are some good reviews out there, and there are probably some knowledgable folks which have had good luck with them, the problem is there are a lot of folks who have not had good luck in many aspects from quality, to customer service, and there are some knowledgable folks in this category too.

The reason I have an XJ with no lift on it is that I refuse to give in and just buy an RC, Rusty's, or other lift I am positive I will have issues with just because there are people out there that have not had issues. I have read enough things about breakage and carnage to say. its not worth it to me. I will wait and purchase a clayton lift because there are tons of folks who have great things to say about clayton. Have they had failures, yes.... guaranteed. The difference is how that failure is addressed and corrected. The difference is acknowledging a failure or weak point and improving it.

I am not trying to belittle anyone, Rusty's included, and I hope everything you bought or will buy lasts forever with no issues no matter what brand, however if your part fails and it fails at the WRONG, WRONG time, you will then become part of the failures these guys just warned you about, hopefully without a horrible outcome to someone in the process.

Back