• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has replaced a front frame rail before???

Here is a picture of my xj the day it was wrecked. My airbags were both deployed as well. I found the passenger side off of this site and the driver side off ebay. Both bags and module cost me $110. Not bad! I only replaced them because my ultimate goal is to be able to register it again.

So far it's only cost me $400 for the frame pulls, before I started, and less than $480 for radiator, upper and lower rad supports, fan and clutch, electrical fan and both shrouds, fender, header panel, headlight door, side marker, hood and both airbags/module. The frame rail and fender skirt were free. Some parts new and most were used.

I know I have some more expenses coming, but not bad when you consider I was paid a nice sum for the jeep when it was totalled out. I then turned around and bought it back for $500. I'm guessing my rock crawler / offroad toy will end up costing me less than $3500 when its all said and done. Now thats not bad considering everything I started with, I had more than $3500 invested in all the running gear and goodies.

Thank god I didn't do more damage than i already did. If were the one that hit the tree, I don't know?

Good luck with your project too!

IMG_0929.jpg

Got the panels on and lines close enough to start burning it in, everything is still screwed in place with sheet metal screws. Note, the track bar frame support is bolted up where it belongs. I'll leave all this in place so it helps minimize heat deflection..

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

I really like where this is going, gives me hope to attempt it on my old XJ turned parts rig (I still like it more than my current project). Only I think I'll have a body tech friend supervise. Good luck finishing it up, keep the pics coming.

Dude, you MUST love your jeep.

Lookin' good! Keep it up.

Sweet lookin XJ before the crashout, looks like you're gettin it right again... This is why i dont let the wife drive the jeep! Huge No No... and she wonders why i won't let her drive it when we go wheelin. Yeah...

Great job. Like I said earlier its no walk in the park. You might want to check your height on each side. It might be me but it looks like your front is twisted. the drivers side looks higher than the pass. Make sure your rig is sitting level in the garage then put a level on the front of the hood and raise the low side of the level till the bubble is in the right spot. Then measure from the hood to the level and it will show you how much you are off. It could just be the pic. Other than that GREAT JOB. I had my doubt's about this one but hey I was wrong. You are doing a fine job.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

mcnamaag said:
Great job. Like I said earlier its no walk in the park. You might want to check your height on each side. It might be me but it looks like your front is twisted. the drivers side looks higher than the pass. Make sure your rig is sitting level in the garage then put a level on the front of the hood and raise the low side of the level till the bubble is in the right spot. Then measure from the hood to the level and it will show you how much you are off. It could just be the pic. Other than that GREAT JOB. I had my doubt's about this one but hey I was wrong. You are doing a fine job.

Ah you're just paranoid!

Hey welcome to my world !! :shiver: :shiver: :shiver:

lol! He's done a great job tho! Theres no way I would have had the patience to do all that... but for 500 bucks the engine and tranny would have been in a rock buggy for sure! The rest would have been parted out and crushed for cash. Price of metal is really high here right now.

98XJROKS said:

Are those the old flexy Bushwackers, or the new hard ones. I am just wondering because I keep hearing of how the new ones are crap. But I am running them and so is a friend. Mine are scratched and he has run up against a tree with his. If Yours are the newer ones you should post this pic up when people talk about how crappy they are.

Anyway back on topic EXCELENT WORK:thumbup:

They're the newer flares...The driver flare popped a few of the screw holes out and has a crack in it now, but I plan on re-mounting it. No worries:)

men dont let your women drive your jeeps. LOL
Awesome work man, You are really dedicated on perfection, it looks awesome!

mcnamaag said:
Great job. Like I said earlier its no walk in the park. You might want to check your height on each side.
It might be me but it looks like your front is twisted. the drivers side looks higher than the pass.
Make sure your rig is sitting level in the garage then put a level on the front of the hood and raise the low side of the level till the bubble is in the right spot. Then measure from the hood to the level and it will show you how much you are off. It could just be the pic. Other than that GREAT JOB. I had my doubt's about this one but hey I was wrong. You are doing a fine job.

GOOD CALL, MCNAMAAG.....I've been saying this exact same thing! You prompted me to go home and check it out. ( the perfectionist within me would allow me not too) Set up all the levels and found the driver rail was 1/4 too high. Not anymore, It's spot on now!

Dont thank me you did the work. Great job.
:patriot:

Re: Frame Rail replaced and almost completed

It's been a while since I've updated the threat, but I've had all the body work done and is ready to go forward.

Sorry for the poser pics but it looks like its ready for the trail again...Well Almost:D

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Back