• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which header

Yes the header was wrapped with exhaust/heat wrap. I'm hoping that not having it on there and just getting it ceramic coated will help this go around.

As for your comment about "more problems than just a broken header" what exactly do you mean by that?

It seem the engine and/or the transmission is moving around real bad. You should inspect and replace all questionable parts. While you are at it, just replace the engine mounts with an after market version. Also, the exhaust piping may be missing a mounting strap. That would put more strain on the manifold/headers.

stock engine mounts are no good for a vehicle that sees offroad AT ALL(as others stated.. Also you should NOT wrap your header but coat it or have it powder coated and wrap the bottom of the intake or make sure it's got some type of heat shielding and you'll be fine.

I went ahead and bought some brown dog motor mounts, so I am still waiting on those but in the mean-time I got the header welded up and ceramic coated.

eqetunat.jpg

vaguzuzy.jpg

3ahu8ude.jpg

I went ahead and bought some brown dog motor mounts, so I am still waiting on those but in the mean-time I got the header welded up and ceramic coated.

eqetunat.jpg

vaguzuzy.jpg

3ahu8ude.jpg

Not trying to hate, but what good is it to have such a bottle neck between the runners and the collector? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Forgive me for being obtuse but is there a an aftermarket manifold for the 2000 that would increase power?

AFE, JBA, Borla, Pacesetter, OBX and Banks all make headers for the 00-01s that retain the stock O2 sensor location as well as the pre cats

stock engine mounts are no good for a vehicle that sees offroad AT ALL(as others stated.. Also you should NOT wrap your header but coat it or have it powder coated and wrap the bottom of the intake or make sure it's got some type of heat shielding and you'll be fine.

Help me understand your opinion on header wrap. I know it's used to cut underhood temperatures and possibly help with heat soak. Is it bad for the header? Why? Do it make the header TOO hot. I was planning on getting a new stock unit for my 96 HO when I replace my motor mounts, and wrapping it all the way to the cat, and then the section between the cat and the muffler. Maybe even the muffler since I have a short racing muffler. (POs Father owned a local racing shop).

You don't have to get it powdercoated you can always use VHT header paint with ceramic or something along those lines, that's what I did, I also plan on heat tiling the bottom of the intake and replacing the lousy gasket that was supplied with the APN header(they leak).

FTW:

Install a stainless steel section of flextubing between the downpipe and the muffler to RELIEVE THE STRESS on the header.

These are available through JEGS, Summit Racing, most well-stocked auto parts stores.

only problem there is those are prone to rust out pretty quickly especially in the "salt belt" like Michigan ohio indiana, etc. not an issue if ur lucky enough to live in PNW, down south or outwest where they don't use ridiculous amounts of salt or one at all

i just installed a manifold from ineedparts.com and not even one week and it cracked...very disappointed and think i will be going with pacesetter for the few extra bucks

I'm going to bump this back up with a Question on my 99. I have a 99 xj with the newer style intake manifold. ordered up a borla lookalike and the 5 and 6 primaries hit the intake manifold, header was listed as fitting 99. Soi just welded up my old one and hope it lasts awhile. Is there a Performance header that fits the 99 with the newer manifold that doesn't cost $300+?

I have a 99 xj with the newer style intake manifold. ordered up a borla lookalike and the 5 and 6 primaries hit the intake manifold....

This is common. Grind a little bit off the sides of intake manifold ports, and it will fit just fine.

I have installed 2 APN manifolds, both needed like 1.54 minutes of grinding with a sandpaper flap disc, and both are still doing their job.

This is common. Grind a little bit off the sides of intake manifold ports, and it will fit just fine.

I have installed 2 APN manifolds, both needed like 1.54 minutes of grinding with a sandpaper flap disc, and both are still doing their job.

It would have cut into the intake runner. I didnt feel like putting a big dent in the header tube . I definitley checked to see how much room i needed and it was a no-go.

Back