• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which header

but is there a big benefit to going aftermarket? I know that there is with headers but there doesnt seem to be a bunch of information about the manifolds for the 2000

I just put on a DMC performance header I got on eBay. I had to have a custom downpipe made because the stock one wouldn't bolt up, as it was advertised. The header and a new 2.5 inch downpipe (without the dimple by the flange) gave my 97 a noticeable power increase. I would guess about 10hp.
Feels great and sounds good too.

I would stay away from the Banks headers. I went through 2 of them (replaced under warranty) that didn't last more than 6 mo before they cracked. I sold the last replacement off NIB on craigslist. I tried welding up the factory header on my 98' first but with no luck, it cracked shortly after that (with new motor mounts). I finally settled on a generic Mopar manifold with the bellows on each side off of ebay. It is stainless has a thicker 1 pc mounting plate and has been on over 2 years with little discoloring and no problems. Also the Banks made contact with intake runners at 2 places, making for a tight install but also obviously bleeding excess heat into my intake. The generic Mopar has plenty of clearance and mounted up much easier (it didn't fight me). I have my intake opened up, a cat back exhaust and a hotter ignition and I honestly noticed no performance difference between the Banks and the generic Mopar.

FTW:

Install a stainless steel section of flextubing between the downpipe and the muffler to RELIEVE THE STRESS on the header.

These are available through JEGS, Summit Racing, most well-stocked auto parts stores.

I just want to say that I bought an APN header earlier this year and I now have to replace mine again. It has probably only been about 6 months or so and the damn thing has cracked around one of the collectors just below the #5 cylinder. I think I will still go with another APN just because no other headers have any better reputation. I think I will ceramic coat them this go around to see it that helps. I'll keep you updated.

FTW:

Install a stainless steel section of flextubing between the downpipe and the muffler to RELIEVE THE STRESS on the header.

These are available through JEGS, Summit Racing, most well-stocked auto parts stores.

I just want to say that I bought an APN header earlier this year and I now have to replace mine again. It has probably only been about 6 months or so and the damn thing has cracked around one of the collectors just below the #5 cylinder. I think I will still go with another APN just because no other headers have any better reputation. I think I will ceramic coat them this go around to see it that helps. I'll keep you updated.

These two things are related. If you have bad motor mounts, your header will crack. I put 30k on my last APN and it was perfectly fine when I removed it to part out the jeep. I out new brown dog poly mounts in when I did the header.

I do not have a flex piece installed on my exhaust but I replaced my motor mounts while I was there. Just saying it should last longer than a summer if it was designed to go onto a factory exhaust system.

I was just searching for some headers online and came across a few others that I haven't heard anything about. Didn't know if you guys knew anything about them or heard from someone how they have done with them or not.

Drake off road

Gibson

& Rugged Ridge just looks like an APN but more expensive.

I work at a jeep/4x4 shop. We had a pile of all aftermarket styles of cracked headers out back.
They almost all eventually crack. You weld it, then it cracks on the side of the weld. Banks is the worst .
They must get by pretty good with diesel stuff because all their jeep headers I have seen are cracked. What we run is the over the counter unit from most part stores. They all stock the same company's part regardless of what box it is in. Whoever designed that unit thought out why they crack. They put flex joints on the first and last primary tubes. I have installed a ton of these with great success without cracking down the road. Buying a 500+ header won't net you any more power than this unit besides braggin rights on having an expensive header, its less than 200 and you will never think about it again.

Last edited:
I am one of the guys with the APN header that everyone swears by. Any-who, I pulled it last night, after only 6 months or so on the jeep, and here is the carnage.
aneza4a2.jpg
nerudagy.jpg
e7uvudeq.jpg

brand new

They are not brown dog or anything fancy. Just factory replacements. Replaced them the same time I did the manifold the first time (6 months ago).

Last edited:
Factory replacements are garbage if you wheel the thing.

Get some brown dogs.

I had an APN header on my '92 for 2 years before surviving another year in my '90 MJ. Never had a crack in it. Always ran brown dog mounts with it.

33007072.jpg

This is all I ever install into customers heep when the stock one or their aftermarket header fails. This things have held up really well so far. Its nothing fancy.

I am one of the guys with the APN header that everyone swears by. Any-who, I pulled it last night, after only 6 months or so on the jeep, and here is the carnage.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/16/nerudagy.jpg[/IMG]
e7uvudeq.jpg

That header is not just cracked but also torn to hell. You have more problem than just a broken header. It also appear that they were wrapped with some sort of exhaust wrap. That could have added to the problem.

Yes the header was wrapped with exhaust/heat wrap. I'm hoping that not having it on there and just getting it ceramic coated will help this go around.

As for your comment about "more problems than just a broken header" what exactly do you mean by that?

Back