• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put the spare tire

Scott Mac. said:
They where boneless :greensmok

picture.JPG

The back seat won't fit with the tire in the position, but I had plans to get a angled tire mount if I ever need to use the back seat in the future.

Is that a Tuffy box cut in half? My friend just got one for his CJ, but its atleast twice that deep. Hmmm, maybe I could squeeze a 35 in the box and lock it up then nobody could steal my tire w/ my doors off, lol!

Speaking of air movement......this thread sucks more 02 than my shopvac.................. :yap:

ZachMan said:
Is that a Tuffy box cut in half? My friend just got one for his CJ, but its atleast twice that deep. Hmmm, maybe I could squeeze a 35 in the box and lock it up then nobody could steal my tire w/ my doors off, lol!

Tuffy came out with that deep box about 3 months after I bought that one.

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Now here's some fresh thinking! Even better, if you put discharge ports facing various directions, at the moment a roll seems innevitable you simply throw the appropriate remote-controlled quick release and the jet of compressed air will not only eliminate the impending explosion :explosion: and get all that heavy air out of the overhead tubes, but will also propell the Jeep back onto all fours!

Now, let's see. How much weight are we saving by carrying our rooftop spare all nice and flat? Given that one square inch of Earth at sea level has about 14 pounds of air pushing down on it, and that that column of air extends some 25 miles high (granted it gets a little thinner as you go up), that would make the weight of air in a 33x12.50 compressed to 30 psi weigh . . . roughly . . . a coupla ounces (maybe?). I don't know why I'm not already doing this! :doh:

I've actually started running with mercury in my tires to help reduce the COG. It's amazing! I can tell you when there is a storm coming too. The jeep starts driving funny! :worship:

Why can't you just run a stock spare. It may look stupid but it'll get you home, and takes up little space. Keep the big spare at the camp site or something. Most guys I wheel with don't even carry spares, when they need one a stock tire don't look so bad.

I don't see me pickingup a 35-12.50 SSR off the top of my roof. Its pain enough just picking that tire up and putting it on the lugs.

mmarriottxj said:
Why can't you just run a stock spare. It may look stupid but it'll get you home, and takes up little space. Keep the big spare at the camp site or something. Most guys I wheel with don't even carry spares, when they need one a stock tire don't look so bad.

unless you are open or have selectable lockers you cant have two different size tires on the axle.

mmarriottxj said:
Most guys I wheel with don't even carry spares, when they need one a stock tire don't look so bad.

A few problems, say a stock spare is a 225/75/15 and you're running a 33/12.50/15 tire. The difference in height is approx. 4-5" depending on the brand. If you have a full locker or L/S and get a flat, running a shorty spare will cause the traction device to "fight itself".........potentially causing major internal diff damage and voiding any warranty that you may have, not to mention the safety aspects............try mounting up your mini spare on any corner of your rig and then drive 5 miles on the freeway at 65.
If you and your buddies wheel with 235's and your spare is a 225.......this really isn't an issue, nor are you representing the majority. SPOBI
Wheeling without the right size spare/no spare is comparable to showing up with a knife to a gunfight................ :looser:

If you're only running one end locked or have a selectable on one end, you can always put the mismatched tires on that axle. I wheel with 31's right now, soon to be 32's, an my spare is a 235. It may or may not stay that way. I don't like the idea of my spare not matching, but none of the options mentioned in this thread sound that attractive either. You either lose departure angle, can't see out your back window, lose more cargo space, or mess up your center of gravity, take your pick. And you have to spend the extra $150 to get the tire, which might not be a huge deal to some, but if you're cheap and broke it makes a difference.

xj92 said:
If you're only running one end locked or have a selectable on one end, you can always put the mismatched tires on that axle. I wheel with 31's right now, soon to be 32's, an my spare is a 235. It may or may not stay that way. I don't like the idea of my spare not matching, but none of the options mentioned in this thread sound that attractive either. You either lose departure angle, can't see out your back window, lose more cargo space, or mess up your center of gravity, take your pick. And you have to spend the extra $150 to get the tire, which might not be a huge deal to some, but if you're cheap and broke it makes a difference.
Buy a used spare from a tire store or junkyard. You can get a used one for like $10-15. It is important to have a full sized spare. I always laugh at those lifted TJ with 38's and stock spare on the tailgate.

ZPD said:
Buy a used spare from a tire store or junkyard. You can get a used one for like $10-15. It is important to have a full sized spare.

Exactly......I've yet to pay for a full size spare as I've jumped from 30-31-32's and I even have a worn 33x10.5 in my basement as a spare so when I switch to 285-75-16's this year, I already have a fs spare (they are only 2/10ths different in height).......you can find them at tire stores for free or lunch money if you look. They don't have to be brand new or even the same brand tire.....same height, round and holds air will do.

I've only needed my spare once in 10 years of wheelin', but the time that I did, I was glad that I had it because I lost a sidewall on the "Trail of the Insane"......1/4 mile loose shale climb on a steep ridgeline that you can't turn around on or back down......and I was 70 miles from home, so think twice about rolling home on the stock donut, that's all.

buy a garbage bag, a canvas sack, a used but not dry-rotted tire (mounted), some rubber conditioner and a ratchet tie-down strap.

take out the valve stem on your spare, put the ratchet strap around equatorially, and crank it down until your spare looks like a 20-series lowrider tire. Put the valve stem back in. Throw it in the garbage bag and dump the rubber conditioner in there. tie off the garbage bag and throw that into the canvas sack.

then when you need your spare, whip it out and air it up, and install it.

oh, you don't carry air? better hope there's some mud to fill your punctured tire with to get home :lecture: :farmer: :clap:

Back