• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put the spare tire

BrentNClemson said:
So what did you do w/ the Jeep after that??!

By the way, I keep mine on roof w/ some ratchet tie downs. Anyone ever put one up there deflated...that would take some of the weight away, but that's almost if you have a compressor to air it up when you need it.

Yeah that'll make a differance?!?!? :sure:

Anyhow I used to carry mine on the roof and hated it both the trail and the highway. It made a huge difference with my setup as far as COG. Never again.

Haha...hey ya never know...! It sure is a pain getting a full 35 up there by yourself though. Seems like the best solution is to lay down the back seat and strap the tire down while offroad...still have plenty of room and I rarely go wheeling with any more than one person in the Jeep anyway.

Beezil said:
Scott Mac needs to post his picture of his toolbox and spare tire deck....

I really think thats the way to go!

It is a slick set up he has going. Just really snug with the tire and the top of the seat. Maybe someone can drag him into this thread.....

TealV6 said:
It is a slick set up he has going. Just really snug with the tire and the top of the seat. Maybe someone can drag him into this thread.....

I'd really like to see his set-up.

We had this very discussion just awhile back and Beez mentioned his system, but Scott Mac didn't chime in.

What size tire does he run?

Scott?

XJZ said:
I'd really like to see his set-up.

We had this very discussion just awhile back and Beez mentioned his system, but Scott Mac didn't chime in.

What size tire does he run?

Scott?

I think he's still running a 33, but have not seen his truck in a bit. He's always over with the wifes GC. And I did send him a PM. He's most likely in traffic or something in route. He'll get here :D

Robert -
You think getting a 33 up onto the roof rack would be difficult? :confused:
I have a hell of a time just getting my 33x10.50 BFG KM from the ground into the back end where it rides laying flat. The hard part is getting it from the ground into my lap without pulling myslef outta my chair. Once there I can lift it in easily enough.
To me, difficult implies that something can be done. There is no way on Earth I could get a spare onto my roof - let alone get one down. It's just too high to reach from a chair. I like mine inside despite the amount of room it eats. When I go bigger, it'll have to ride on a bumper carrier because the 33 is all that will fit inside with the seat up (need the passenger space). I have a couple of ideas running through my head for a carrier that will not only extend up to improve departure angle when wheeling, but also pivot down so that I can mount the tire while it sits on the ground and then crank (or reel or jack or ?) the whole thing into an upright position and lock it down.
Cool, huh?

Beezil said:
Scott Mac needs to post his picture of his toolbox and spare tire deck....

I really think thats the way to go!

I lost the pics. I'll take some more pics on my next smoke break out in the garage.

we have another winner!

"Anyone ever put one up there deflated...that would take some of the weight away, but that's almost if you have a compressor to air it up when you need it."

Most every 0 psi tire I've ever carried was either brand new or freshly flogged.

Spares are nice...what happens when ya flog out two at once?

Fore Wheeler said:
it's almost 6:30, where's the fawkin pic???

aren't you feeling that nicotine fit yet????

Hold your horses. I've got half of my second bbq chicken breast left to go.

Damn it, now my keyboard's all sticky.

take yer time, just dont choke on the chicken bones... otherwise we dont get to see the pix if ya choke to death :chef: :jester:

dogtired said:
take yer time, just dont choke on the chicken bones... otherwise we dont get to see the pix if ya choke to death :chef: :jester:
They where boneless :greensmok

picture.JPG

The back seat won't fit with the tire in the position, but I had plans to get a angled tire mount if I ever need to use the back seat in the future.

MoFo said:
Scott Mac: Where the hell do you put the beer cooler, or is that what's in the black box?

Beezil usually brings enough beer for everybody. Especially now if he starts kegin' his homebrew.

I travel light and buy supplies in town.

woody said:
we have another winner!

"Anyone ever put one up there deflated...that would take some of the weight away, but that's almost if you have a compressor to air it up when you need it."

Most every 0 psi tire I've ever carried was either brand new or freshly flogged.

Spares are nice...what happens when ya flog out two at once?

Hey take it easy...anyone on here who is that concerned about the weight of a tire on top of the car will obviously want to save some weight, it's just a freakin idea! :moon: If someone is sensitive enough to notice a tire on top...they'd also notice the difference of a tire that weighs LESS. Not sayin there's any kind of huge (or even noticable) difference here...but it would be lighter and easier to handle...

Well just how much does 35 psi of air weigh? :lecture:
Wayne

Back