• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put the spare tire

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I've got it on the back just above the bumper, but I've hit it a few times dropping off of embankments and on rocks. I'm fixing to go from 30s to 33s and this will only get worse. I'm not concerned about getting stuck because of its location, but I am worried about bending the mount or the rear deck when I hit it. I've thought about putting it on the roof, but that raises the center of gravity and makes it kinda' hard to get to. Of course putting it inside takes up room.

So far I've ruled out just about any place that I can think of to put it! Any ideas? Where do you keep yours?

Mine is just going inside. I don't want it on the back because like you said you can catch it along with making it hard to see out the back. I don't have a rack up top right now, if I did it would probably go up there though.

I'd put a 33" down flat in the back if it will fit (very tight with the seat up...depends on the tire). I used to have it out back on a Tomken rack...didn't drag it much but I also had 6" of lift. Now I put it up top since I have 34x12.5's that won't lay down in the back.

Now, if I didn't usually have my kids in the back when wheeling, I'd just put the seat down and keep the tire strapped down inside for wheeling trips.

Nay

My 33 is on the roof. I like the roof mount even though it does add weight to it!

Mine is on the roof. I didn't want it blocking my view with it on the back and it doesn't fit inside. As for it affecting my COG, it didn't seem to much. Adding my tool box for trail repairs, spare parts, and a cooler full of soda's inside seem to offset the tire. :)

on the roof does raise the COG but on the rear is in the way very time you open the hatch you have to open the tire carrier on side hills it runs away or trys to kill you. i like the roof better.

Beezil said:
33/or larger = roof

yep, raise that CG as high as you can!

:looser:[/QUOTE]

It's a space thing, you wouldn't understand! :)

,,,and this coming from a guy with a .25 wall chrome-mollied Jungle-Gym on his roof!! :)

Last edited:
Beezil said:
33/or larger = roof

yep, raise that CG as high as you can!

:looser:

I've ran spares and boxes of crap on the roof rack and also nothing on the roof rack for years. I get way more puckered, way before the extra wieght on the roof ever gets in to play. I've even done some static roll over points by winching vehicles to their balance points and seeing what wieght did what to change the effect. It was amazing how small of a degree change for each 100 lbs on a roof rack. Remeber this is static so fast movement would change this but slow rock crawling I don't believe would change it that much.

Space can be an issue but for the average XJ I think roof mounted spares is an acceptable answer, even if some *true looser* like Beezil will give you crap about it. :D

mark

I used to keep mine on the roof.........
Picture%20010.jpg

How did you roll it on the level ground? :laugh: The XJ behind ya isn't leanin'.

Oh, I know what you did. You tryed drivin' sideways up a hill climb. No wonder you rolled it.

Actually it rolled from the top of that hill, onto the road, luckily it stopped, because there is a 40ft drop into a river on the other side. We almost lost the teal cherokee too, trying to get down to the white one. That would have been ugly, both of them upside down.........

Ouch, not good. I saw the drop off on the other side in the pics and thought the same thing. That trail isn't very wide to be rollin' on. Looks like the tire might've actually saved you by acting as a wedge. ;)

GPSflyer said:
Actually it rolled from the top of that hill, onto the road, luckily it stopped, because there is a 40ft drop into a river on the other side. We almost lost the teal cherokee too, trying to get down to the white one. That would have been ugly, both of them upside down.........

So what did you do w/ the Jeep after that??!

By the way, I keep mine on roof w/ some ratchet tie downs. Anyone ever put one up there deflated...that would take some of the weight away, but that's almost if you have a compressor to air it up when you need it.

Don't forget how much heavier the spare tire is once ya start going larger.. not only is it a COG issue... but an issue to be able to get the tire off the top be yourself. Definitly not fun on the side of the highway, pitch black out and raining.
After that.. sold the carrier and in the process of building a storage shelf for the back.

Mount your tire on the side of the front fender - just like the old Caddys. Put it on a rolling mount and you can just roll over rocks in narrow passes.

Back