• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy a new HEAD?

I wonder if one could order an '03+ head and specify that it must say TUPY.
It would make things simpler.

you can definitely order one that way, but if they're doing their job correctly, you won't receive any core credit in exchange for your old one-- it's a charge to ensure you return the same item in rebuildable condition.

I wouldn't guarantee that they'd even check the casting number, but if you go that route, plan on losing the core charge and price it expecting to pay that as well.

you can definitely order one that way, but if they're doing their job correctly, you won't receive any core credit in exchange for your old one-- it's a charge to ensure you return the same item in rebuildable condition.

I wouldn't guarantee that they'd even check the casting number, but if you go that route, plan on losing the core charge and price it expecting to pay that as well.

If that's what it takes to guarantee a good defect free head, so be it.

Spartan/ATK Engines CYLINDER HEAD-RMFD

"RMFD" = remanufactured

True......I guess it's just the core charge that has me confused. I'm wondering why they want my old one back if it;s a reman. I did look on the ATK website and they said they reverse engineer their products to eliminate manufactures defects.
Just puzzled about the core, no big deal just curious.

they'll use your old head as the building block for the next one they sell. The price is set according to the amount of work necessary to rebuild it assuming they will get another like head to replace it.

but if it's remanufactured, then doesn't that mean the will not use the old one? Doesn't remanufactured mean they will get new metal and a new mold and start from scratch? I could see using someones old head if it was rebuilt.
I thought remanufactured meant they started all over from scratch and rebuilt meant they took an old item, replaced the broken parts, machined a few surfaces and sold it a a good as new part.

Nope, remanufactured and rebuilt are mostly the same term.

Some of the vendors(like J&C) will sell a new and improved thicker casting 0331 head(I believe they are all cast in FL and then bought and built differently w/ different warranties)and use reconditioned valvetrain and new seals, which is why they want your old cracked 0331 head.

Back