• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy a new HEAD?

very good point, i did misuse the words in my post. And thought I did link to a reman'd head, but on second look, clearly i didn't.

However, many times companies (out of ignorance IMO) interchange these words. To be safe i would call the companies and find out the specifics of what is done to the cylinder head in question.

I would definitely go with the Alabama head. For that price your getting all NEW parts and a redesigned, stronger head, not just another crack prone one that could wind up just like your old one. I think there's really no comparison when you match them up apples to apples.

Wow $400+ for a head is expensive especially on a 4.0L. Is a re-,manufactured head worth that much and is that much better? Yea you get new parts and what not but i don't see the big benefit of it, piece of mind that a high dollar head wont mess up?

Whats wrong with a junkyard head with a good cleaning, valve job and new seals? It will cost half of what you guys are talking about and with have the same performance and reliability.

I know 2000+ head are crack prone but an earlier HO head will work just as good. You might have to come up with a way to mount the coil packs but that's easy. Its just my opinion that there are better opportunities than to drop $400-500 on a head, heck you can buy a motor for that much

The older heads have different exhaust ports and require you to swap the exhaust manifold too or use an adapter plate of some sort ($100 unless you can make one yourself). Since the 2000+ has minicats and 02 sensors in the exhaust manifold this has to be retained or the jeep will not run right nor will it be legal. The recast heads from Alabama have re-enforced webbing in the areas where these heads normally crack so for the money it's by far the smarter decision. A junkyard head could crack on you next week and you'd be back to square one, only out $200-300 dollars that could have been spent on a better product that is completely bolt-on out of the box.

Read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4-0-heads-grand-955919/

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to help my buddy replace a cracked head in his '00 XJ and one of the best prices I've found is Napa. They want $474 - $215 core charge for a reman'd head.

I'm getting ready to help my buddy replace a cracked head in his '00 XJ and one of the best prices I've found is Napa. They want $474 - $215 core charge for a reman'd head.
Is that for a used rebuilt/reman. factory 0331 head? That is exactly what you should be trying to avoid, another crack prone head with who knows how many miles on it, that could crack the day after you put it in. If I was going to put in ANY factory head it would be the new 2003+TUPY or nothing at all!!! I still might go with the Alabama custom casting just because of it's design and proven reliability, it's also a brand new head which is nice because I know it was never overheated or abused by anyone else before I got it.

Last edited:
FYI. About 5 years ago when I built my 97 4.7 Stroker, the Aluminium head was a new thing. I spoke with, and bought from, Alabama Cylinder and found out they were the ones building the head for Hesco...

Can you say mark up?

When I fixed up an 01, I bought a new, thicker 0331 casting with recon'd valvetrain and new seals, no core for $369 shipped from J&C Enterprises(WV). You now have to send back a core.

I have a '01 WJ with the 0331 head. If I got a TUPY head from a '03+ would it be a direct fit or would I need to change anything at all like dowels, brackets, whatever?

When I fixed up an 01, I bought a new, thicker 0331 casting with recon'd valvetrain and new seals, no core for $369 shipped from J&C Enterprises(WV). You now have to send back a core.

used the same guys for the 2.5L back in January-- no complaints with their service. The head arrived in about five days (including the weekend) and it came with the UPS shipping label for the return. IIRC, they gave you either 30 or 60 days before they even charge you for the core, so if you're ready to go by the time it arrives, the core charge won't ever even post to your charge card.

Back