• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what your favorite gas tank skid?

At $180, Desert fab seems pretty nice to.

http://desertfab.com/shopping/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=322

In an e-mail from them, "Ours attaches to the rear crossmember and the gas tank straps. There are no problems clearing the factory hitch..."

It's 3/16. I guess my only concern, it sounds like it mounts like the tomken and could come off easy. I have not mounted a gas tank skid before, if it is mounted like that, will it take hard hits? Would it ever break a strap bolt from hits or backing into something? Sorry, just hard to picture in my head.

my 98-93 ZJ factory skid is working out just fine on my 99. Just had to drill a couple extra holes and bolted it up. Clears hitch just fine and is a pretty stout unit.

RedHeep said:
You're just jealous because he loves Jim more than you :looser:
I'm pissed because he stole Jim, you were there, you saw I had him first.

RedHeep said:
Okie Fab

tn_Crawl%202007%20011.JPG

Werd, as a matter of fact, im stealing his idea. :eyes:

99greenjeeper said:
my 98-93 ZJ factory skid is working out just fine on my 99. Just had to drill a couple extra holes and bolted it up. Clears hitch just fine and is a pretty stout unit.

how thick is it? I wonder if it is any better than an XJ stock skid? Do you have any pics? I was thinking it hang down allot farther than it needed to? Don't take this as bashing yours, its just that I am interested and want more info.!

thanks!

anybody got opinions....

Red97XJ said:
....if it mounts like the tomken (rear and strap bolts) I have not mounted a gas tank skid before, if it is mounted like that, will it take hard hits? Would it ever break a strap bolt from hits or backing into something? Sorry, just hard to picture in my head.

cal said:
iirc Andy Steiner was running one setup that way.

He was flat towing his jeep and one of the strap bolts broke, dropping the gas tank and skid. He drug his gas tank behind him, on the ground, throwing sparks, until someone got ahead of the RV and pulled him over.

Build some better mounts.

This is BS. If only one strap broke, the tank and skid would not have hit the ground. I have the Tomken skid and one of my straps broke but nothing hit the ground.

95XJ4.0 said:
dented pretty bad the first time out, thing is crap.

The Tomken might not be the best for hard core rock bashing, but for the average Jeeper it works very well. I am happy with mine and the price was right plus I didn't want to add anymore extra weight to the rear of the Jeep than I had to.

Last edited:
Another vote for Rustys I just picked one up used for $100, I may have gone with a skid row had I spent the money to purchase one brand new however. But even at $220 its a pretty nice skid.

jaburk said:
The Tomken might not be the best for hard core rock bashing, but for the average Jeeper it works very well. Plus I didn't want to add anymore extra weight to the rear of the Jeep than I had to.

Tomken e-mailed me that theres is 49lbs.... that seems pretty light... wonder what the others wiegh in at.

I like the hd factory skids. they look like 3/16" to me. the broken strap, tank falling out scenario sounds like an urban legand to me. even if it could happen, a hitch would prevent this from happening. from the factory the hitch goes over the flanges of the skid plate, or you could bolt it in using the hitch mounting points. they are $40 to $50 at the full service wrecking yards around here. at the pulla-part yards they are $15 to $20 & they have already been removed when the gas tanks were pulled. we abuse the undersides of our xjs in my family & the factory units work great. my sons' has extensive rock rash with no tank damage.

i run the factory skid.
at 2.5" lift i am constantly dragging my rig around in the rocks, and have had the rig land fully on the skid.
No problems, and no complaints.
I got it for $8 (including new nut strips) back when Jeep was blowing all their stock out.
With the way mine is holding out, I have no way to justify going to something aftermarket. They get the job done, the fact that they are cheap is a bonus.

Red97XJ said:
Tomken e-mailed me that theres is 49lbs.... that seems pretty light... wonder what the others wiegh in at.
this got my curiosty going so I weighed one from my stash, 30lbs,way lighter than I would have guessed. Does this mean I have too much time on my hands?:cheers:

I am running the stock steel skid on mine. Also have a Reese hitch too.....

No problems as of yet....(except for the headache from mistakenly thinking I was clear of back of beast yesterday....)

I have the new 3 peice skid row gas tank skid very well made also very heavy ups shipping label said 69 lbs. With the skid and draw tite hitch it's made my rear spring's start to sag a little.

Back