• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what your favorite gas tank skid?

If you know how to weld, why not just build your own? The DPG design seems fairly straightforward.

oo7ravisXJ said:
If you know how to weld, why not just build your own? The DPG design seems fairly straightforward.

Those that are quick to pop "weld your own" are getting pretty annoying.
I'm pretty sure I've done more welding and fabricating than most on this forum and I currently don't have the time or means to do any fabrication. (Pursuing higher edumucation). I currently buy my bumpers and skids because it is cheaper for me to do so. Don't assume.

If the OP wanted to weld one. He would ask for advice about welding one, not which manufacturer to whom he should give his money.

true it would take me a few hours just to get something like the dpg mocked up! then fully welding, grinding, fitting, etc would be a job but it is do-able. i just prefer to pick and choose my fabbing battles and a gas tank is something i was not looking to build...

ehall said:
They all use the factory nutstrips afaik

The Tomken doesn't. It bolts to the rear crossmember and the 2 front strap bolts. It worked with my aftermarket hitch with some mods to the hitch. I like the Tomken for the price and it has held up well.

xjtrailrider said:
The Tomken doesn't. It bolts to the rear crossmember and the 2 front strap bolts. It worked with my aftermarket hitch with some mods to the hitch. I like the Tomken for the price and it has held up well.

In a former life that's how I built mine. It sure makes it easier to install (at least mine was) when you can install them seperately from the hitch/bumper. My only concern with the design in retrospect is that the rear crossmember and strap mount area are not designed to take the stress that the "frame" rails are.

I'll have to think more on this one.

xjtrailrider said:

iirc Andy Steiner was running one setup that way.

He was flat towing his jeep and one of the strap bolts broke, dropping the gas tank and skid. He drug his gas tank behind him, on the ground, throwing sparks, until someone got ahead of the RV and pulled him over.

Build some better mounts.

Granted, mine is a '90, but the stock skid seems to fit well. Since I can get steel from work, I opted to add a couple layers of 1/8". It is heavy, it is sturdy, it bolts right up, it was really inexpensive.

I started a thread about factory skid failure, nobody had problems with the sides failing. Those who responded cited hits to the back part of the tank. I guess I'm the only one who has ever bent a slosh well.
tank_skid.JPG

With two plies of 1/8", I added 1/4" to my factory skid. It has taken some pretty good hits to the back. I have scrapes and gashes with a lip of steel curled up on the edges: No deflection to speak of.

If I get another XJ, I'll do this again.
tank_skid2.JPG

Another vote for a factory skid with reinforcement.

HTH

Tomken skid here. I've dropped the rear end several times right on the skid with only a small dent and some scratches. Great cheap bolt on.

law.74 said:
Those that are quick to pop "weld your own" are getting pretty annoying.
I'm pretty sure I've done more welding and fabricating than most on this forum and I currently don't have the time or means to do any fabrication. (Pursuing higher edumucation). I currently buy my bumpers and skids because it is cheaper for me to do so. Don't assume.

If the OP wanted to weld one. He would ask for advice about welding one, not which manufacturer to whom he should give his money.
jesus christ, i was just throwin it out there. I don't even know how to weld, but if i did, I think this would be a fun little project. Don't assume, what are you talking about, I said "if", remember... and for the record, your annoying, ha! take that :D

kinda funny, I am the one that started this thread, then said no to welding, and now I am thinking about begging some help to weld one up.

We will see, hard to say since the tomken is so affordable....

anyway, thank for all the opinions.

I run an OEM tank skid. Works like a champ. Tank still holds 19 gallons. :yelclap:

oo7ravisXJ said:
jesus christ, i was just throwin it out there. I don't even know how to weld, but if i did, I think this would be a fun little project. Don't assume, what are you talking about, I said "if", remember... and for the record, your annoying, ha! take that :D

he is pretty touchy isn't he?Lighten up.

I fabbed one up out of 1/8" diamond tread steel.I have about $20 in all said and done.It is pretty easy to fab up.,get some poster board and lay it along side the tank and trace the shape onto it.These will be the sides of the skid.Add the bottom pieces and such.

Last edited:
NSW Sparky said:
I like my rustys totally enclosed but it has to be a modified a little to fit with a reciver but very heavy duty.

how thick is the rustys? On the site its $219.

any other affordable skids out there? say less than or close to $200?

Last edited:
I am running a factory 97 skid. Its seen some hits but hasn't caved in a bit, however it is knocked out of square some. If i had to go aftermarked I would go with DPG. While i have never bought anything from him I have talked to him on the phone a few times and he has been great help.

Red97XJ said:
how thick is the rustys? On the site its $219.

any other affordable skids out there? say less than or close to $200?

From Rustys website:

"Built of 3/16 steel, black powdercoated, frame mounted, no factory strap style mounting!"

Okie fab sucks, so does his jeep, and his website.

My favorite skid would be the floor.

Back