• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do?

he's also got a heavier rig and 5.9... and is in the northwest, where the rocks have mud on them.

Very different terrain than socal.

I have been extremely unimpressed with their quality.

DSC_1088.jpg

DSC_1084.jpg

brand new axles. first trail.
I have broken 2 Alloy USA stub shafts at the same spot. One was my fault for letting someone spot me into an undercut. The other was cracked for some time around the perimeter before it failed. All in all I think it is a good product but I am planning on doing RCV shafts when funds permit.

May I suggest RCV axleshafts and top quality R&P? You already have a fortune invested in your 30 and the RCV's are all but unbreakable. With a properly heat (cryo?) treated R&P you should be good with 35's unless you are particularly heavy footed in the rough.

I already have nitro chromoly shafts with alloy ujoints.
The ring and pinion that was weaker then my brakes is Yukon

You really think cryo treated gears would be "all the difference"???

The Toyota guys swear by chryo'ing their toy axle parts. I chryo'd the last gear set I put in the buggy, just in case, since I'm running a HP rear 60 with 40" stickies. From what I understand (many different opinions) chryo treatment mostly helps the longevity from wear, rather than increasing shock load strength. But, it sure doesn't hurt.

You're in that no mans land between a moderately built D30 and just getting a D60. There are no inexpensive D60s when you have to price in the outers. I don't know that you can get a 35 spline inner axle shaft with a yoke for the smaller 760x axle u-joint. Call Currie about a front D44, they build them. I just got a quote from them last week for a customer with a JK, to replace a D30. It was $4390 including RCV axles and an ARB. That comes with heavy duty brackets and bigger tubes. Take out the RCV's and just do a Currie 30 spline inner and your outers, and swap the ARB for a Detroit, and you might OK. Make the call.

The Toyota guys swear by chryo'ing their toy axle parts. I chryo'd the last gear set I put in the buggy, just in case, since I'm running a HP rear 60 with 40" stickies. From what I understand (many different opinions) chryo treatment mostly helps the longevity from wear, rather than increasing shock load strength. But, it sure doesn't hurt.

You're in that no mans land between a moderately built D30 and just getting a D60. There are no inexpensive D60s when you have to price in the outers. I don't know that you can get a 35 spline inner axle shaft with a yoke for the smaller 760x axle u-joint. Call Currie about a front D44, they build them. I just got a quote from them last week for a customer with a JK, to replace a D30. It was $4390 including RCV axles and an ARB. That comes with heavy duty brackets and bigger tubes. Take out the RCV's and just do a Currie 30 spline inner and your outers, and swap the ARB for a Detroit, and you might OK. Make the call.
that's not bad, and then you can recoop the difference by selling off your d30 goodies.

I have been told cryo treatment makes the metal able to give more before it cracks or fails. I am not sure if this is true but I agree, it probably can't hurt.

I have been told cryo treatment makes the metal able to give more before it cracks or fails. I am not sure if this is true but I agree, it probably can't hurt.
cryo treatment reduces stress which would in turn make it less likely to crack.

Depends on who you talk to, someone on the internet or metallurgist. Who knows for sure.

Back