• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what other outdoors hobbies do you have

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
I don't remember seeing any threads on this so here it goes.

What other outdoors type hobbies do you have?
After a number of years doing adopt a trail and volenteering in the forest I'm starting to feel a little burnt out. So I decided its time to change things up and while I love the forest maybe I can learn new ways to enjoy it too.
I'm getting in to horsmanship I got my first horse recently and after my ex and current gf having horses and living in Norco aka horse town usa I'm kinda excited to have one of my own. Punkin is a 15 year old draft/quarter horse cross. Aproximatly 16 hands tall and 1200# and so far other than having the family resemblance (being fat) she is healthy and well manered. Her first apointment with a trainer is today where I hope to learn more about what she already knows how to do.
I'm also looking at the rc world. Thinking of skipping the electrics and going for nitro powered. I've been seeing a lot of "deals" on the savage trucks and I may grab up a used one just to see how I like it.

Anyways what do you guys have going on?

Fishing, Fishing, Fishing. Did I mention fishing. I REALLY enjoy wheelin in my Jeep but fishing is a passion. (or a sick obsession, if my wife describes it). I go wheelin about once every other month. I fish 2-3 times a week. I guess it doesn't help my obsession that I live in the San Bernardino mtns. and have Mill Creek running through my property which I can fish on. If I have a bad day at work I can just walk out my front door and catch some native trout. They are rather small but a blast to catch. In regards to camping, I love it as long as there is wheelin or fishing involved. Camping for the sake of camping is lame. I already live in the mtns. Why would I go sleep on the ground in a cold tent just to be in nature when my warm cozy bed is already in nature. Hiking isn't a hobby but I do it often if I feel I can get to a good fishing spot. Hiking for the sake of hiking is never gonna happen. I'm way too lazy to just walk around without a purpose. If I'm gonna walk out into nowhere then there better be some epic fishing to greet me at the end or I'm pissed.

Last edited:
Hey dan, what up?

I camp with my buddy trevor and his family, we try to do yearly trips to mammoth, and while there we do a lot of stream fishing, have done some ocean fishing (don't care for that much), I have done rc in the past both electric, and gas. I have done geo caching. I just as you know) bought a pit bike so i'm going to be fiddling with that till the jeep is done.

Oh yea I've been doing some geocache stuff too but my gps's are old and becomming to un dependable so I'm kinda on a break from that.
I like fishing but I use it more of a time to drink and since I'm not really drinking any more its lost its alure.
The pit bike is all you bro not my thing at all. I loved riding for years but now I'm just to out of shape to even contemplate rippin on a motorized death trap ;)

Yea I have not geo cached in a while, at the last geo caching m&g I went to (while back) someone broke into my truck stole my hand held garmin, and a book of cds. Don't know if it was someone with the group or some random assholes. But I have yet to replace it, and my garmin navi does not do way points. But there is a lot of caches on cleghorn rd, maybe we can get together one weekend and nerd it up.

Peace
ted

i like to back my jeep out of the garage and work on it in the sun when it's nice out, does that count :D

Yea I have not geo cached in a while, at the last geo caching m&g I went to (while back) someone broke into my truck stole my hand held garmin, and a book of cds. Don't know if it was someone with the group or some random assholes. But I have yet to replace it, and my garmin navi does not do way points. But there is a lot of caches on cleghorn rd, maybe we can get together one weekend and nerd it up.

Peace
ted

Ya its time for me to upgrade my gps I'm really leaning towards the garmin phone if I can find a good deal with out renewing my contract. Otherwise ill probably have to get a 60csx

I had to pick up some tires at Firestone yesterday, and there was some t-mobile guys in there asked them about the Garmin phone, his response we sold 4 of 10 we received, and 2 of the 4 were returned the same day. I don't know how reliable these two puds were but fyi

Hunting is my main one there are different seasons and breaks in between so you never get sick of it, but if you really wanted to hunt year round Jack Rabbits and Coyote is year round for the in between. I hunt turkeys, deer, quail, chukar, and dove. I also do some fly fishing and there is the hobby of tieing your own flys it's a lot busier then conventional fishing so you forget about your drink which I gave up years ago. I did nitro and electric RC's also and just got bored with that, but still have some trucks in the garage.

I like to pan for gold. Especially when I go out to lucerne, I go to all the abandon mines and collect the tailings and pan it out. U would be surprised how much gold flakes and nuggets you'll find!

I like to pan for gold. Especially when I go out to lucerne, I go to all the abandon mines and collect the tailings and pan it out. U would be surprised how much gold flakes and nuggets you'll find!

Do you mainly do mines or do you also look for gold in local streams? I have been told that Mill Creek has a good amount of gold in it, but I have no idea how to pan for it and would love to have someone show me.

Do you mainly do mines or do you also look for gold in local streams? I have been told that Mill Creek has a good amount of gold in it, but I have no idea how to pan for it and would love to have someone show me.

I do streams also. Azusa canyon (the east fork) has a lot of gold in it as well as old prospectors. I'll have to take a run up to your place and show you how. For all u know u might have some nuggets on your property. Pm me if you wanna set something up.

I do streams also. Azusa canyon (the east fork) has a lot of gold in it as well as old prospectors. I'll have to take a run up to your place and show you how. For all u know u might have some nuggets on your property. Pm me if you wanna set something up.

Sounds good.

Gold panning is something we did back when I was a youngster hella fun I totally forgot about that and had no idea you did that Anthony we might have to set something up

x2 sounds like something fun/interesting to do.

Maybe we could set something up at my place on Veterans day weekend. It's a Thursday this year which means a lot of us have a 4 day weekend. We could gold pan in the AM, b-b-q at my place for lunch and then hit a local trail for some wheeln.

Back