• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What lift to get??

well hes talking about a 3in or 4.5 in lift so at this time i think those tires are alittle much maybe with a biggers lift and better axles they would be ok. IMO i say run some 33X12.5 they will still be wide and alittle tall but you wouldnt have to regear and those will work with 15x8 rims that and the 4.5 lift and you would have a real nice setup

NO NO Im not asking if that tire would work for my rig I just wanted to know how to read that measurement.

the tire is a Dic Cepek Radial F-C II

15x8 means the rim has a 15in diameter and is 8in wide

in tires it goes- 31X10.5X15

31 is your tires diameter
10.5 is your tires width
15 is what rim it will fit on

there all in inches

I tink your best bet with a tire is a 31x10.5R15 whick will fit on a 15x7 or 15x8 rim...You wont lose that much power and it will look pretty good and flex real well

your other option would be to go with a 32x11.50R15... A lot of people think proportionitly these look perfect on an XJ

Andrew

for that 32X11.5 wheel i would need a 15X ?? what width wheel.

the look that i want is where the tires are bumped out past the frame. a real wide tire look. so i dont know if i have to get a wheel spacer (i dno if that is legal in ohio and this jeep is my DD) or get a wheel with a lower backspacing...so what would accomplish this?

alright thanks thats exactly what i needed.

Alright I have made some decisions and this is what it is looking like so far:

RE 3.5" lift

Backspaced wheels from rocky road

Tires: ? 32's im thinken

other things that I may or may not need:
t case drop...need one or not?
ive seen a few posts about shackles...whats this about?

with 3.5 youl be fine with just the pack. however if you were to go higher, i would suggest getting shackles. a lower lift spring pack will offer less height keeping it flatter and therefore softer. the shackles move the body up from the springs, giving you lift, while at the same time reducing the angle at which your shackle rests. this too yields a softer ride, and more flex to boot.

at 3.5" you should be fine without em

If you get the RE full spring pack kit you won't need/get shackles but you may want to invest in a 3/4" coil spacer...ther are about 35 bucks from RE and will level your lift...Most lifts are higher in the back the in the front so its a good idea to get one if you'd like to be level...once again its preferencce though you may like a rake to your XJ or maybe you won't end up with to bad of a slant...I say install your lift first and if you dont like the way it sits add the spacer...

also a T-case drop is a good idea and they can be had for around 40 dollars...

Andrew

Is there a brand of trans case drop that is recomended. however i assume that it is pretty standard the only difference being ammt. of drop.

Also about tires 32's is what im looken for any suggestions?
(i know i got one suggestion earlier in this thread and Iam looking into that one)

thanks

Tcase drop is pretty standard I went with a Skyjacker one for 35 dollars on Quadratec..Don't be fooled by the pics though they are not red blocks with the skyjacker sig they are just two gold blocks and hardware..

also I recommended TruXus MTs to you but I have never seen them in a 32" flavor...Maybe I never looked hard enough but I think their only thing that resembles a 32 is a 265/75r/16

Everyone has different tire needs as well...do you sand/mud/rocks it all depends...also I'm assuming you want a somewhat quite ride??
Mts are loud I'm not going to lie...when someone says their MT is quite its in relation to MT quiteness..Im pretty sure you can expect a Goodyear Wrangler MT/R to be louder the a goodyea wrangler gs-a(stock xj tire)
but TruXus are quite for the most part and do real well in rain
also I've been told that the Maxxis Big Horns are a hell of a tire for the price as well...give them a look-see

Andrew

Last edited:
XJiggy said:
Is there a brand of trans case drop that is recomended. however i assume that it is pretty standard the only difference being ammt. of drop.

Also about tires 32's is what im looken for any suggestions?
(i know i got one suggestion earlier in this thread and Iam looking into that one)

thanks

I don't reccomend a T-case drop at all. Why even lift your Jeep if you are doing a t-case drop? You spend all this money getting your Jeep's ground clearance higher, and then you lower the belly pan?

Just do a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit, and do it right. Why even lift your Jeep, if you are just lowering your drivetrain??

KarlVP said:
I don't reccomend a T-case drop at all. Why even lift your Jeep if you are doing a t-case drop? You spend all this money getting your Jeep's ground clearance higher, and then you lower the belly pan?

Just do a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit, and do it right. Why even lift your Jeep, if you are just lowering your drivetrain??

Some people don't have the $500 to drop on a SYE...Tcase drop is an alright patch until you can save the loot..

Andrew

agreed.

I know i dont have the money. the money saved with a Tcase drop (since hes still at around 3" and its not really THAT big a concern) he can then spend on armor... hint hint...

with that truxus MT tire when i googled it and clicked on teh first link it took me to a page where the sizes were 33X12.5R15 or some 31X10 somethen.

does this mean that there is not a 32 of this tire? maybe this site does not have all the sizes?

would a 33 fit with a 3.5 inch lift and backspaced wheels.

I would mind triming if its necessary

LilRhodyXJ said:
also I recommended TruXus MTs to you but I have never seen them in a 32" flavor...Maybe I never looked hard enough but I think their only thing that resembles a 32 is a 265/75r/16

Everyone has different tire needs as well...do you sand/mud/rocks it all depends...also I'm assuming you want a somewhat quite ride??
Mts are loud I'm not going to lie...when someone says their MT is quite its in relation to MT quiteness..Im pretty sure you can expect a Goodyear Wrangler MT/R to be louder the a goodyea wrangler gs-a(stock xj tire)
but TruXus are quite for the most part and do real well in rain
also I've been told that the Maxxis Big Horns are a hell of a tire for the price as well...give them a look-see

Andrew

thats from a couple of posts up

and yea you'd have to do a fair amount of trimming to run 33s on a 3.5" lift and also with 33s you will have a greater amount of power loss with your stock gears...Its doable and people do, do it but don't expect to have the greatest mileage or merging power

I still think 31" TruXus will look good with your lift and you won't have to regear but like I said up to you

Also if your going to be running 33s on stock gears please invest in a transmission cooler...Jegs sells a B&M one for 50 bucks all hardware included...its a good idea to get one anyway but especially if your going the 33" on 3:55 route

what whould i have to purchase to re-gear?

how much would that cost?

what is regearing?

is it a mod you can do yourself?

just curious

If you don't even know what you need to buy to regear your Jeep, I'd suggest you don't. Take your axles off, bring em into a shop and get them to do it.

Back