• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this bolt/plug on the AW4?

It would be tough to hit as it is just about directly over the front lip of the crossmember, but it looks pretty bottomish to me...

100_0049.jpg

Okay I was thinking about the oil pan plug which is sticking out sideways more. Anyways the comment was if you can get the pan off, you can mount a nut in the side of it and stick the sensor in there, or *maybe* put one in the drain plug although it is metric and would need an adapter. Still possible but I should have looked before posting sorry

Here's mine. On the driver's side of the pan.

transtempsender.jpg

I'm digging your setup. Very cool.

My super sweet Sobe bottle funnel? Keeps me from filling up my crossmember and skid plate with ATF when I drain the fluids. I used to use a folded up piece of cardstock, but that always seemed to make a mess and was not reusable. Check out my super sweet radiator hose funnel...

100_9641.jpg

You can use the upper or lower radiator hose and it fits nice and snug on the casting around the drain plug. Pop a hole through it for the 10mm hex key and you won't spill a drop when draining the transfer case.

Hijack concluded...

:yelclap:

jeepme has used the fluid test port for the tranny oil temp sensor. He used this adapter for it: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2267/

I will be doing the same thing but have not gotten around to it.

Even though the test port is "far off the beaten path", oil transfers heat through itself pretty quickly. I doubt the oil in the test port would be significantly different in temperature than measuring anywhere else in the trans. I plan to use the same port for mine.

I had been looking at that adapter as the simple solution, then got sidetracked with the issue of flow and varying temps and such. Might drop a few more bucks and get an adapter or plug kit and a second sender and put it on a switch. Still waiting on my gauge and tee to get here in the meantime.

Some interesting things I hadn't seen or considered; I'm glad I asked.

Hubs, the adapter fittings I used to put those hose barbs onto the transmission adapt directly to a -6 AN fitting, it would be simple to run the adapter, then a T fitting, then a hose barb and put the sender in there, you should have plenty of contact with the trans through the fittings to ground the sensor. You may want to use a 90° fitting on the adapter first though, there isn't much room between the trans and the body on mine I don't think you could get away with spacing out the hose barb any further.

Here is a better shot showing the room you have to work with (and the plug you were asking about)

40906_1553675535487_1643138606_1337757_226158_n.jpg

There is less than 2" between the hose barb and the body there, I have solid motor mounts and a poly trans mount so I'm not too concerned with the trans moving, but if you are on rubber mounts especially stock ones I would keep an eye on the room there. good luck :cheers:

Still don't know for certain; the answer depends on who you ask.

Finally realized what should have been obvious from the beginning with regard to NPT sizing. You cannot put a 5/16" diameter sender into a 1/4" pipe. I should have known it wouldn't be this simple.

Last edited:
Short of putting a tester on both, I'm not going to argue otherwise. Aside from a few forum posts, I can't find anything I would call definitive. I still want to know what that forward port is though.

I still want to know what that forward port is though.

Anyone ever figure it out? I'm in the process of swapping my old AW4 from my XJ into a Tacoma and the Taco has a plug going to it... (the taco A340F is essentially the same tranny with different bellhousing, tailhousing and a few other accessory differences). I'll be pulling the Taco plug off next week so hopefully it's just a pressure or temperature sensor or something.

Back