• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vetro swingaway tire carrier. Will a 35x12.50 fit?

XJBill

NAXJA Forum User
I have the chance to buy a Verto swingaway tire carrier for my XJ really cheap, but I'm not sure if it will work. It needs to hold the weight of a 35 x 12.50 tire and still be able to open the rear hatch. All I can find about it is
it works will all Jeep approved tires

These are the best pics I can find:

P51b.jpg

vetro001.gif

vetro002.gif

Anybody running this? How do you like it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pictures are kind of bad, but if that's similar to the one that came with later model XJ's where it only mounted to the bumper, then I don't see how it could hold the tire and survive without major mods.

XJBill said:
Anybody?????

no.... toooo much armor all weighs it down. :)

i googled and got the same crappy pics. I doubt it will be up to the task of a 35.

But, it sure would be easier than getting it off the rack.... that 33 was enough.... of course if you dont blow your tire trying to be 'king'.....

Yes it will hold a 35 but you have to do some cutting and welding. Cut the "box" off of the tubing and flip it 180 degrees and re weld it. This will give rear bumper clearance and put the center of gravity of the tire higher but closer to the hinge point. It will bend the stock rear bumper if you leave it swung open for any length of time. I will post a link to some pics.

fordtech said:
no.... toooo much armor all weighs it down. :)
But, it sure would be easier than getting it off the rack.... that 33 was enough.... of course if you dont blow your tire trying to be 'king'.....

You like when I armor all the spare don't ya? :laugh3:

I think that blown tire cost me 3rd place in that run. Oh well, got a cool camp chair for coming in 4th...

XJHOX said:
He will never be the "King" not in this town! :laugh3:

Dont forget, you've got ALOT of catching up to do already with the new XJ and I'm not done yet. You had your time sucka....This is my town now. :laugh3:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pics everybody! I think I'm gonna pass. I found out the rear tire carrier mounts to the rear hitch and it will take away from my departure angle too much without modifying it. If I'm going to rebuild it anyway, I'll just build one from scratch. Plus, I just bought a car so I can park the XJ for the winter and work on it. So, I don't have the money for it right now anyway...

Thanks again!

TwistedXJ, we usually go to Wellsville Ohio (about 2 hours away) or Johnstown PA (about 3 hours away) to go offroad. There is a guy in my home Jeep Club that owns some property in Union City, PA that we wheel on from time to time too. Not real big but fun for the day. Plus, it's the closest place to go. Some people go to Paragon Adventure Park too. It's about 5 or 6 hours away from Erie though.

Last edited:
Thats the other part of the problem. Apparently, the company no longer exists or makes the product. A local Jeep dealership in Erie has these as "new old stock" and wants them gone. They are asking $175.00. New, they ran around $400.00 for it.

Click here to go to the original post

Do to the size, I'm not sure if they will ship.

Re: Vetro swingaway tire carrier.

Is there a possibility to find one? I have tried to visit their web site without any success.
The issue is that I want a rear tier carrier but don't want to replace the original bumper.

Thanks, Arik.

Back