• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Velocity stack

Here are the photos of the velocity stack that everyone wanted to see. Notice they are not under a tree in the backyard on the picnic table. http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Dancingtwins/library/?sort=3&page=1http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Dancingtwins/library/?sort=3&page=1

Hate to tell you but that's not a velocity stack. That's nothing more than a metal coupler to hook a rubber hose to.

Here is some info about velocity stacks,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

As you can see yours has none of the smoothing and straightening out of the airflow that characterizes velocity stacks.

Here are the photos of the velocity stack that everyone wanted to see. Notice they are not under a tree in the backyard on the picnic table. http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Dancingtwins/library/?sort=3&page=1http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Dancingtwins/library/?sort=3&page=1

IMG_1031_zpskvo2bz0v.jpg

IMG_1037_zpswf78uwyt.jpg

HTH.

Last edited:
Hate to tell you but that's not a velocity stack. That's nothing more than a metal coupler to hook a rubber hose to.

Here is some info about velocity stacks,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

As you can see yours has none of the smoothing and straightening out of the airflow that characterizes velocity stacks.

How can you say it does not smooth and straighten the air flow,it is smooth and straight and you have a picture of it to prove it,it does not have a bell mouth but one is formed by the stock 4.0 rubber conecter, it does not have to have an inside taper as the one on Wikipedia to be a velocity stack. What did you expect it to look like?

How can you say it does not smooth and straighten the air flow,it is smooth and straight and you have a picture of it to prove it,it does not have a bell mouth but one is formed by the stock 4.0 rubber conecter, it does not have to have an inside taper as the one on Wikipedia to be a velocity stack. What did you expect it to look like?
How can i say it doesnt? Because it is not a velocity stack.
Do you know why velovity stacks have the bell and taper? Its to gather air and smooth out turbulence.
What did i expect it to look like? Some form of resemblance to a velocity stack would be nice. Not some random piece of tubing you found on your shop floor

How can i say it doesnt? Because it is not a velocity stack.
Do you know why velovity stacks have the bell and taper? Its to gather air and smooth out turbulence.
What did i expect it to look like? Some form of resemblance to a velocity stack would be nice. Not some random piece of tubing you found on your shop floor

Thanks for the compliment,I have progressed from a redneck working in my back yard to having a shop. Why so angry, if you read the whole thread or what ever you call it,,I asked a question no one could or would answer. I said I was going to try some thing,I called it a " velocity stack". It would lengthen and smooth the air flow into the throttle body,as I had noticed the 2.5 4 cyl seem to run better with the 4cyl rubber conecter than the shorter (from elbo to throttle body) 4.0 rubber connecter. I made a (part) that would lengthen thiis distance to even more than the 4cyl connecter(about 1.625 inches). The results changed the way it ran ,not for the better in my opinion. That is what I reported back. After that no one believed I did what I said, and now I named it wrong. What is the problem, no one addresses what the thread was about. I am out of here.

You are the one who has been argumentative this whole thread. I simply commented on what you call as a velocity stack is not a velocity stack and linked some useful info then you proceeded to get defensive. If you actually read the article you might have actually learned something.

With regards to a velocity stack on a 2.5 or 4.0 it would be a waste of time due to the nature of how the intake manifold is constructed. Any difference you noticed at all was likely due to a less restrictive air cleaner and cooler air. More air in and colder the air the better for combustion. These motors simply do not rev high enough to see any real benefit from a stack

A velocity stack is an item with a specific definition and description. What you have "built" does not match either.

Calling your piece of tubing a velocity stack is like me posting a picture of a cat, calling it a poodle, and then saying "well it has 4 legs". Just because you call it a velocity stack does not make it one.

For reference, these are velocity stacks. The name BTW refers to the way the air increases in velocity as it is forced through a tube with a decreasing radius. A straight pipe does not do this.

F27101198.jpg

What you said is correct to a point,check out the stacks on the hilborn fuel injection and the ones used on the early big block chevrolets that were different lengths.most of these were straight tube . Weber stacks apear to be straight,along with holly carbs stacks for the 500 cfm 2 barrel. Most of these had a flare or slight bellmouth to smooth out the air flow into them. My "part" was a 2.6" straight tube to lengthen ,smooth and help straighten out the air flow that used the shape of the rubber as sort of flare, what would you call an part that did these? I am sorry if I used the wrong terms,just trying to share hands on experience with others. Never again.

What you said is correct to a point,check out the stacks on the hilborn fuel injection and the ones used on the early big block chevrolets that were different lengths.most of these were straight tube . Weber stacks apear to be straight,along with holly carbs stacks for the 500 cfm 2 barrel. Most of these had a flare or slight bellmouth to smooth out the air flow into them. My "part" was a 2.6" straight tube to lengthen ,smooth and help straighten out the air flow that used the shape of the rubber as sort of flare, what would you call an part that did these? I am sorry if I used the wrong terms,just trying to share hands on experience with others. Never again.

I just google image searched all the examples you just gave, and every single one of them has elements your tube is missing.

I just google image searched all the examples you just gave, and every single one of them has elements your tube is missing.

Yup. That's what I came up with too.

Did you see straight non tapered tubes,did you see tubes that were angle cut did you see tubes .that the flare was a separate piece? My part was a straight,tube with the shape of the rubber conecter forming a flare or smooth transition into the tube. I do not understand what I did that was so bad or wrong. In my view it is a type of velocity stack,in your view it is not, I am sorry if this offended you or any one else. You do realize that the idea did not work,I am not claiming it did anything, so why is my view of my part as a velocity stack so important and disturbing?

Did you see straight non tapered tubes,did you see tubes that were angle cut did you see tubes .that the flare was a separate piece? My part was a straight,tube with the shape of the rubber conecter forming a flare or smooth transition into the tube. I do not understand what I did that was so bad or wrong. In my view it is a type of velocity stack,in your view it is not, I am sorry if this offended you or any one else. You do realize that the idea did not work,I am not claiming it did anything, so why is my view of my part as a velocity stack so important and disturbing?

Your view is the ONLY one that thinks it is/was a velocity stack........................

Just to help clarify better.
I know you want to argue, but by definition and examples, yours isn't a velocity stack.
This isn't a opinion based argument, this is a fact base argument.

18634f2eb6dfe1532289217f304cccab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you would read my description of how my v.s.works,when the tube is pressed into the rubber conecter( stock 4.0 throttle body to air cleaner) it forms a flare and a smooth path into the tube very similar to the lower picture(velocity stack) , not at all like the upper picture, I hope this makes sense. Google "vintage velocity stacks,images" and look at what can be called a velocity stack. The tube shown in my photos is only part of the velocity stack. Check out the stromberg 3-2s set up,the Amal and some of the straight tube slash cut types. I hope you read this and understand what I am trying to get across. Thanks

What you are trying to get across is that you think you are right by calling it a velocity stack.....

Everyone else realizes you are wrong, so stop trying to convince us.

If what you are saying were true, then every vehicle with a CAI or similar has a velocity stack as well.

Back