• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanilla Gorrilla blog

The shitbox taillights live on
d20bc63f772da4bd2b305108846f4cc0.jpg
ce475ba29e2a60c9e785cba5b29d0f13.jpg

Reno Run was awesome. What a blur.

55c037706381ef9b4a62410994976ce2.jpg

I have a few videos but not much pictures from the trip. Im really bad at taking pics. Im usually more focused on experiencing whats in front of me.

After picking up a steering shaft a picknpull sat morning the jeep drove amazing. In fact its never driven better. Still have a little hint of wobble but very easily controllable. Tap of the brakes and its gone. Its most likely just finding what this jk axle likes for alignment. Ive heard all kinds of different stories about what works and what doesnt. I had it dialled in like i did the dana 30 that was perfect and it wobbled like crazy. Lessened the caster and toe and got it to where it is now pretty easily.

So my list of repairs maintenance and upgrades for sierrafest is long. But as you can see i have already begun with swapping in the led tail lights from alan. They look great and i cant brake them. Have a new flasher on the way to slow down the turn signals. But they went in very smoothly.

So top of my list is getting my iro rear leafs warrantied. And swapping in my doubler and d300. They leafs are shot but i was really hard in them. Lots of weight and aggressive trail running. They have a lifetime warranty so they said take some measurements and pics and we will start the process of getting me new ones. I have an 8th leaf that i never installed so that will be going on with the warrantied leafs. Once those are taken care of ill be relocating my shocks a bit differently. I need a traction bar to help out the leaves and right now my shocks would be in the way.

I also found a bit of excess noise and slop in the front output on my 231. So i think its time to finally swap in my nwf doubler and d300. Its a big jump. Im a bit nervous about figuring out the shifters. As there is no plug and play setup. So ill be covering that setup as i go for posterity.

Then new drive shafts. And i need to redo my front coil buckets farther forward like stock i think. Also push the axle forward another inch first. Ill be building a new trackbar frame mount from scratch for that.

I am really happy with how the jeep worked. Ill be making small adjustments with the suspension to get a little more lift. Im thinking 4.5" in the rear and 4 in the front. Also maybe next season changing up the tire situation to a more true sized tire. I measured mine and 315/75/17 is supposed to be pretty close to 35". That are close to 33" right now. Alan was suggesting the procomps. Maybe some new narrower rims as well. These are 9" and im used to a much narrower rim. Ill see if i can find an 8" or less, cheap and swap them out.

Sorry for the rambling.

Out.

Last edited:
cea0e8ac27a6cc3ab4bc9e6bea7850fe.jpg
791b8461dc68dda92ed09d141250f243.jpg
38ff09892d4cdba2f93aecc6fd2d2835.jpg

Not sure if i ever posted a pic of the new shelf/fridge/sub setup. It worked awesome.
8a39b78d30f1fd1431728bd02feedef3.jpg

1416d415e157c3ecfa62fc6aa2563c90.jpg

All of my tools and stuff went below. Oscar was on top the shelf on the left. His small dog bed fit like a glove.

Shoot looks good, I could hear the bass at the end of bronco canyon, and it's sounded good. I wish I would of taken a look at shelf and fridge slide.

Doubler will be awesome

Yeah. Im looking forward to being lower geared.

My tires officially measure out to 32.8 inches. Kinda sucks. They are advertised as 35x12.5x17. Need to find something more true to size for my next set.

Rear shocks are getting relocated. Ill have to build new upper mounts.

Trackbar setup is being test measured out.

Leaf springs are being warrantied.

New coil buckets on order.

Going up one inchish front and rear.

Then after tcase swap new drive shafts.

Lifetime against sag of more that 10% of advertised lift. Im trying to work with them. They are claiming that my tire carrier and rack weigh to much. I need to remove the leafs and take a measurement with them unloaded. And then swap them side to side and add the 8th leafs to the pack and take another measurement with them installed. Kind of a pain for a guy who has no time.

LOL so their warranty doesn't include regular things like tire bumpers or a roof rack? thats total garbage to me, they are full of it!!! Joke of a warranty.

The tire carrier and rack weighing too much, that sucks. Yes sounds like a pain in the butt to even get anywhere with that warranty. And way too time consuming!

Well its been a few weeks. Thought I would do an update real quick.

So my leafs were warrantied. I have to ship them back but they sent me a brand new set with an extra add a leaf and brand new bushings for free. A little rough at the get go but iro pulled through. I have been taking into consideration the weight i carry in the back and i need to find a way to lighten things up. Went through my tool bag and pulled out some redundancies and lightened it up. Went through all my gear and lightened up everything about 100lbs. Im also thinking about loosing the roof rack. Or at least making one thats a bit lighter. So.

I threw the leafs back in and did a bit of adjusting of my shackle angle. Pulled the tcase to see what the noise was in reno when driving in 2hi. Chain was sloppy so i swapped in a new one and also replaced the trans output seal while i was at it. Threw it all back together with a new longer driveshaft. Tomorrow ill be dropping the front axle and replacing the coil mounts. Ill also be swapping in a new ps pump. Just need to find a reservoir. Should be gtg for SF at that point other than some fluid changes. Sorry no pics. Been working too hard. Ill have some pics when something interesting happens.

Im also going to see if i can add a flip down tailgate to my shelfs in the back. Something like this
bf9e9ef4be853615771a572f3f67af51.jpg

Not my pic just something i found on the googles. Wont be quite so big but something to possible sit on and cook on. Also let oscar in and out of the back a bit easier.

glad you were able to get that all taken care of with the leaves ! As far as weight reduction, that always helps a ton .

Started a little project this afternoon

1be9d137373ca666573e01c23b6dd97d.jpg

Went front from this
3e9aa27500edbc69b5a63de7cc1d8fe5.jpg

To this
08a66820fb641ac6b20111f2fb1d1b21.jpg

All back together
b0782613e020d9e362690258a0536096.jpg

Started doing some final checks after i changed the oil and found the coolant low. Started looking for a leak and found this
663611c3de1f1e5e94c776b71e203718.jpg

So it looks like I'm swapping a water pump tonight. Got a few more little things to do. O2 sensor, front differ fluid change, and some minor wiring changes for my lockers. Looking solid for Monday.

Water pump swapped. I remember having more room in there last time. I think it was before i have the electric fan setup
8e6540d0781d8a28f4700ad76850ac56.jpg

It was tight but its done. Ill definitely need to do a coolant flush after SF. It was pretty brown.

Went to go replace my rear o2 and wouldnt you know it. It stripped the threads coming out. So now i cant put the old one back in or the new one. Im going to see if i can track down a thread chaser tomorrow.

Tomorrows list.

-Service front diff fluid
-Tap ac compressor power for electric fans to come on. Something i forgot to redo when i swapped motors
-modify my locker switch wiring so i can have independent control front and rear
-tap o2 bung and replace sensor
-check all fluids
-check all suspension bolts
-alignment check
Load up all the gear. And pack(likely happening about 3am Monday haha.)

Youre a savage gordon

Got everything done but the ac wiring. Not able to do it with my current relay setup. Then gave her a bath. Also added a bace to the outside of the frame steering box. It was flexing quite a bit and now it is not.

434148c22857a64c19e09196a0549ee6.jpg

508ee3d00acd814ae9766e2c9f261690.jpg

Brace is just temporary but i didnt want to just leave it after i saw it flexing. Steering feels much better with it. Ill be doing a sector shaft brace in the long run.

On to packing up the gear.

Back