• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper and lower control arms question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallredxj

NAXJA Forum User
So my stock lca bushings are shot so I'm looking into replacing/ upgrading my lower control arms, as well as my uppers. I'm running about 3.5 inches of lift and was planning on getting both adjustable uppers and lowers. I've done some research and I like the look of the Metalcloak adjustable uppers and lowers. There version of the flex joint seems to suit my needs as both a dd and a weekend rig, the price point is also much better then JKS or Currie arms. So what do you guys think? Any opinions on the Metalcloak arms or other alternatives would be greatly appreciated. Another question I have is do I even need adjustable lowers with my lift hight, what do you guys think? Thanks!

I think you don't adjustable control arms on both. Either uppers only or lowers only. Before I went long arm I was running Rocky road drop brackets with fixed length Synergy lower arms and supreme suspension adjustable uppers. It worked pretty darn good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 3.5" you don't "need" the uppers for length - you only need the lowers.

I have the JKS and they are OK. They are big and beefy. But I think they are causing a clunk. I would go with the Metalcloak next time, or possibly something else.

At 3.5" you don't "need" the uppers for length - you only need the lowers.

I have the JKS and they are OK. They are big and beefy. But I think they are causing a clunk. I would go with the Metalcloak next time, or possibly something else.
you dont NEED adjustable lowers. length is not the issue. the stock adjuster will get you within acceptable castor at that height. the big advantages of an aftermarket control arm are the increased strength and clearance to the shock mount (which limits travel).

after lifting these things with short arms, some people dont like where the wheel is in the fender well. a lot of times they will use longer/adjustable arms to push the axle forward... which can throw the bump stop way out of position upon compression.

I think Rubicon Express adjustables are still the best arm for the money. Fixed lowers and adjustable uppers. Though adjustable upper and lower can future proof you a bit.
i agree, fixed lowers, adjustable uppers. keep those jam nuts up high and safe from harms way. ive found multiple points of adjustment is redundant, and youll never use the features you spent extra money on after you dial it in where you want unless you make a significant change. the jam nuts on the long arms i made are now welded to keep them from getting beaten loose...

I think Rubicon Express adjustables are still the best arm for the money. Fixed lowers and adjustable uppers. Though adjustable upper and lower can future proof you a bit.

X2. The only RE parts I recommend are their arms. Had good luck with them and went from 4.5 to 5.5 then added drop brackets. Was only able to do it because I went all adjustable. Now if you don't ever plan on growing or changing anything, which never happens, then get fixed.

Four links "clunk" because of the extreme angle the lowers are at w/ a lot of lift(like 6.5").
Hence the drop brackets, you need adjustable length arms to center the bump and make it all work.
In hindsight I would have opted for a long arm set up but I think four links are safer for daily use and hindsight is 20/20

The metalcloak lowers operate silently and the jeep aligned perfectly with stock uppers on my 99 with 3.5 inches of lift. These replaced brand new JKS that made clunking noises from day 1.

Something to add, I got a set of re adjustable uppers off cl. I already had a set of re fixed lowers (the old superride) the uppers at the shortest position were still about 1/2" longer than stock. I shoved my lowers as far forward as I could, but I think I still might have not enough caster, as it does wander a bit, but I have yet to check.

I haven't even looked into RE all that much. I have RE front coils and I'm not all that satisfied with there flex/ ride quality, but maybe there control arms will work better for me. The price is definitely tempting also

That's why I'm leaning towards both adjustable uppers and lowers, hopefully less components to swap if I go to 4 or 4.5 inches

The metalcloak lowers operate silently and the jeep aligned perfectly with stock uppers on my 99 with 3.5 inches of lift. These replaced brand new JKS that made clunking noises from day 1.

That's good to hear, street performance is definitely a big selling point. Can you speak at all for there durability or offroad performance/ flex? There isn't too much out there on how they do offroad

I haven't even looked into RE all that much. I have RE front coils and I'm not all that satisfied with there flex/ ride quality, but maybe there control arms will work better for me. The price is definitely tempting also

Coils are built on spring rate and RE parts are typically made for overload. Unless you have a heavy winch bumper up front it is going to be a stiff ride. An unweighted RE 3.5" kit will give you nearly 5" of lift. The quality of their parts has never been an issue.

Coils are built on spring rate and RE parts are typically made for overload. Unless you have a heavy winch bumper up front it is going to be a stiff ride. An unweighted RE 3.5" kit will give you nearly 5" of lift. The quality of their parts has never been an issue.

That's odd because my front coils lift the proper amount but are extremely stiff, but who knows, I plan on adding a new bumper and winch eventually so I'm sure that will fix the problem. I'm actually seriously considering RE now, they seem to be the best option for the price

Go adjustable uppers AND lowers if you have the budget. I'm on my forth change in length for my arms due to various changes over the last 15 years with my RE Super Flex arms. These changes have happened in spite of what the Web wheeling Internet experts will be so quick to tell you. These changes were not something I would have for seen back then either.

When you select a mfg remember that you might want to be able to get parts years down the road. RE and Curry are the two that I'm most comfortable with in that regard.

Last edited:

The metalcloak setup looks good, made in USA which is the only stuff I'll purchase, but your only speaking of 3.5 inches of lift.
At 6.5 inches of lift I find Rusty's adjustable upper and lower w/ the forged flex ends(Johnny joints) to be superior in flexibility and quality to a rubber bushing.
But they do clunk, that's a jeep thing though:)

Go adjustable uppers AND lowers if you have the budget. I'm on my forth change in length for my arms due to various changes over the last 15 years with my RE Super Flex arms. These changes have happened in spite of what the Web wheeling Internet experts will be so quick to tell you. These changes were not something I would have for seen back then either.

When you select a mfg remember that you might want to be able to get parts years down the road. RE and Curry are the two that I'm most comfortable with in that regard.

That is a good point, and why I'm most likely to go with both upper and lower adjustables. Parts availability is something I have thought too much about, but again a good point

The metalcloak setup looks good, made in USA which is the only stuff I'll purchase, but your only speaking of 3.5 inches of lift.
At 6.5 inches of lift I find Rusty's adjustable upper and lower w/ the forged flex ends(Johnny joints) to be superior in flexibility and quality to a rubber bushing.
But they do clunk, that's a jeep thing though:)

The Metalcloak joint is a hybrid between a flex joint and a rubber bushing based on what there site said, which I thought was a cool idea and might be a better street performer as that's unfortunately where the jeep sees most of its miles. I personally don't mind the clunky nature of flex joints it just seems difficult to find ones that are durable for a good price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back