• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uh oh... another MJ for me... lowered?

I love the late model front clip on the MJ, looks like the white one did the mirrors but no the doors. I'd like to see the entire late model conversion on an MJ, interior, doors everything, I'm sure someones done it already.

For the rear bumper I think the one Detour made for my MJ would look just as good on a lowered Comanche, maybe with smooth sides instead of diamondplate and delete the D ring mounts.

Detours_002.jpg

BrettM said:
if you shorten the post you are allowing more maximum compression than before, does anyone know if this will cause anything to hit? oilpan maybe? I suppose the 2wd beam axle helps with those issues as well...

brett with mine lowered 2.25" i have 2" until the d30 tube hits the oil pan. that would be the first thing to hit

Thats a nice truck Brett, like most...the updated nose would be great.

Heres another rear shot of the bumper like Bic's.

untitledmatt.jpg

If you were to do a smooth one, it would look kinda like this..

rear203qtr.jpg

Both bumpers are built along the same lines.

Consider a 4 link & air bags in the rear, its not expensive & universal kits
are available.

I think I like the 97+ nose a tiny bit better, but not enough to spend a whole lot doing it. If I find someone parting one out cheap I'll do it.

As for the rear bumper, I'm definitely thinking roll-pan at this point. Not like the one posted earlier with the plate in it, I'll just get a piece of sheetmetal and curve and weld it to the same profile as the sides.

TekkaMaki said:
I love the late model front clip on the MJ, looks like the white one did the mirrors but no the doors. I'd like to see the entire late model conversion on an MJ, interior, doors everything, I'm sure someones done it already.

For the rear bumper I think the one Detour made for my MJ would look just as good on a lowered Comanche, maybe with smooth sides instead of diamondplate and delete the D ring mounts.

Detours_002.jpg

You converted you'res?

TekkaMaki said:

Doors huh? I haven't paid much attention to the 97+ nose swaps, and I did not know that the doors are compatable... are they a direct swap, or do you need ot modify the hinges, striker, locks etc?

BrettM said:
Doors huh? I haven't paid much attention to the 97+ nose swaps, and I did not know that the doors are compatable... are they a direct swap, or do you need ot modify the hinges, striker, locks etc?

AFAIK they fit right up except for the strikers, you would need to replace the older bolt type (belt loop grabber) with the newer U shaped style on the jam. I thought somebody had started the complete swap (including interior) a while ago, *possibly* JpnJim from the Jeepsunlimted forum but I lost my JU password some time ago and can't search there anymore.

You converted you'res?
Heck no, I've just dented mine up and gotten it rusty, I do like what others have done tho.

Last edited:
mdl said:
Do this...

mj97convertez1.jpg

mjwhite97convertkr0.jpg

mjwhite97convert2dj1.jpg

The late model conversion on an MJ. I've been thinking of finding a stock MJ, ether keeping it stock height or lowering it, and doing that conversion. Then putting a brand new paint job on it with some nice tires and polished steel rims. Only problem for me is all the ones I can find are rusted up and I don't feel like having to bondo everything on the truck. I *may* even be willing to attempt a late model interior swap as well. I've seen pictures of the full 100% late model interior swap on an XJ and MJ. The exterior is easy. I've got pics somwhere of the late model interior on the mj.

I would actually build mine exactly like the top picture.

I am in the middle of doing the same swap. I was going to swap not only the fenders and grill but the doors, dash, etc...... After thinking about it a bit I decided it would be a waste since my MJ is not a show truck, its a trail beater. I plan to do the total swap on my next MJ.
2148210_20_full.jpg

I think the wheels off a 5.9 Limited Grand with some meaty than stock (for the 5.9 anyway) looking tires would look good here if you were to swap the 97+ nose (and maybe doors) onto it and dropped it an inch or two.

TekkaMaki said:
AFAIK they fit right up except for the strikers, you would need to replace the older bolt type (belt loop grabber) with the newer U shaped style on the jam. I thought somebody had started the complete swap (including interior) a while ago, *possibly* JpnJim from the Jeepsunlimted forum but I lost my JU password some time ago and can't search there anymore.

You are right, it was Jim. And it is just the strikers.

http://65.42.106.152/forums/showthread.php?t=623082

As for 'factory' bumpstops... the ones that came on my 89 MJ (Metric Ton 4WD) are approx 4" from the top of the metal "bell" to the bottom of the rubber -in front- vs 3" that came off my 88 XJ 4WD.

The rear MJ bumps are also apprx 4" but the hollow metal 'dish' inside is substantially deeper than the ones of the XJ. (I cant lay my hands on my factory XJ REAR bumps, but IIRC they were approx 1 to 1.5" shorter than the MJ units.)

As for suspension, I'd try the cut XJ coils first, then if that doesn't work right, take up the offer on the 4.0 TJ coils. Out back... just think XJ/MJ lift in reverse... shorter XJ shackles, mix & match leaves, "maybe" a drop block.

Bilstein 5125 or 5150, 255/70 in 6.5" or 8" travel...whatever works in your space.

Maybe a set of GoJeeps big dual-piston front brakes, and ditch the 35 rear in favor of a Ford Exploder 8.8" 4.10 or 3.73 and LS, with discs. (Probably the ONLY time you'll hear me speak of Ford vs a D44... mainly for the better brakes and already geared-up) The 8.8 with custom spring perches under the larger-tubed axle will act as a block and help with spring wrap. Weld the tubes to the housing :D

Have fun!

Back