• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uh oh... another MJ for me... lowered?

got pics? it would be easy... hmmm

if I don't do a roll pan, I think I'll do another like my first MJ:

p1010013pc6.jpg

it's 2x4 recessed under the tailgate and 1.25 square welded to the face of that and wider for a little protection.

Slam it, wouldnt be too hard although i dont think there is a drop spindle available for the comanche, you'd probably be limited to what the drop coils can provide. Lowering blocks and yanking a leaf would get it down nice in the rear

BrettM said:
So, for the guys who have lowered an XJ/MJ before, did you do anything with the bumpstops or shocks?

I looked tonight and there's about 3 inches before the rear axle hits the bumpstop and about 2 inches before the front hits. I'd like to lower it 1.5-2 inches, but don't want to be riding the bumpstops all the time, though they are long enough it looks like I could trim an inch off them and still have enough to do the job...

The bumpstops are not a problem, just trim about an inch off and you'll be fine. Or, you could take them out completely. Bumpstops are not as critical when your setting up a road warrior. Remember that as you trim coils off the spring, it stiffens it up quite a bit, so they won't sag as much when the Jeep is back on the ground.

I put new shocks on, but used the stock replacements. They were short enough to work at the lowered height.

Atl XJ said:
but maybe XJ leafs would lower it a little bit?

XJ leaves are much shorter and won't fit.

BrettM said:
The rear is weird... it already has a 2" lowering block, but it doesn't look lowered (the rear is higher than in the picture above, it was loaded down in that picture). I think I would lower the rear by taking the block out and making a leaf pack useing some flatter leafs below the MJ main, and maybe an XJ shackle for a little drop.

Really? I don't remember any blocks on my MJ or the ones I've seen at the yard. Maybe some of the base models were lower?

Nice clean MJ, btw! Wish my paint looked that good. The paint on my 89 started shedding this year.

91 Jeep Project said:
I've never seen a roll pan for an MJ, though that means nothing. Maybe modify an Dakota pan?

http://store.gaugemagazine.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2218
no need to adapt another one, I'll just weld a some square tube at the top, make a couple "fins" sticking down that match the profile of the curve, and just weld sheet-metal on starting at the top and bending and tacking progressively downward. simple enough.

lawsoncl said:
XJ leaves are much shorter and won't fit.

Really? I don't remember any blocks on my MJ or the ones I've seen at the yard. Maybe some of the base models were lower?

Nice clean MJ, btw! Wish my paint looked that good. The paint on my 89 started shedding this year.
For simplicity sake, I think my first attempt at the rear will be ditching the lowering block and all the MJ leafs except the main, and replacing them with a full XJ pack, including the main leaf with the eyes cut off.

the paint really isn't that great, it's a rattle-can job that I'll be re-doing better at some point. I'm also thinking about other paint schemes... anyone got any ideas? There are a couple light dents in the bed that I don't want to deal with, what colors will hide them best?

Oh, and I checked Ebay for Mustang wheels/tires, and 17s can be had cheapish, so I'll probably get them at some point. Does anyone know for sure if they fit or maybe need a little machine work?

Last edited:
BrettM said:
For simplicity sake, I think my first attempt at the rear will be ditching the lowering block and all the MJ leafs except the main, and replacing them with a full XJ pack, including the main leaf with the eyes cut off.

the paint really isn't that great, it's a rattle-can job that I'll be re-doing better at some point. I'm also thinking about other paint schemes... anyone got any ideas? There are a couple light dents in the bed that I don't want to deal with, what colors will hide them best?

Oh, and I checked Ebay for Mustang wheels/tires, and 17s can be had cheapish, so I'll probably get them at some point. Does anyone know for sure if they fit or maybe need a little machine work?

the mustang wheels are hub-centric, and will need to be machined.

as far as the bumpstops the right way would be to shorten the post, the easy way would be to cut the rubber

tealcherokee said:
the mustang wheels are hub-centric, and will need to be machined.

as far as the bumpstops the right way would be to shorten the post, the easy way would be to cut the rubber
if you shorten the post you are allowing more maximum compression than before, does anyone know if this will cause anything to hit? oilpan maybe? I suppose the 2wd beam axle helps with those issues as well...

91 Jeep Project said:
Make it look like the "Street" MJ...........:dunno:

MJ.jpg

Ditch the stock alloys.

MJon20s.jpg

nice mj

i dream some day that my xj will be finished and i'll pick up a mj and throw a dually in the ass and make that my tow rig:sunshine:

in time . . . in time

p.s. has anyone ever thought about doing that or has ever toss a dually in the back of a mj for a tow rig

jerics4life said:
nice mj

i dream some day that my xj will be finished and i'll pick up a mj and throw a dually in the ass and make that my tow rig:sunshine:

in time . . . in time

p.s. has anyone ever thought about doing that or has ever toss a dually in the back of a mj for a tow rig
i've seen just a few pictures of MJ duallys, but they're done with fender bulges and I think it looks bad. now if you narrowed the frame, inner fenders and axle and put kept the over-all width down I think it would be cool.

BrettM said:
i've seen just a few pictures of MJ duallys, but they're done with fender bulges and I think it looks bad. now if you narrowed the frame, inner fenders and axle and put kept the over-all width down I think it would be cool.

Tub it with mega wide slicks. Even cooler.

couldn't tell ya, that picture was taken at the lot.
I can tell you that it was modified significantly to fit, it was welded to the hitch, and to the bed under the tailgate.
it had to go, as I needed ground clearance.
Shame, it looked pretty nice, better than the picture looks anyway.
It's sitting in the driveway under a tarp with all the rest of the spare parts.

Do this...

mj97convertez1.jpg

mjwhite97convertkr0.jpg

mjwhite97convert2dj1.jpg

The late model conversion on an MJ. I've been thinking of finding a stock MJ, ether keeping it stock height or lowering it, and doing that conversion. Then putting a brand new paint job on it with some nice tires and polished steel rims. Only problem for me is all the ones I can find are rusted up and I don't feel like having to bondo everything on the truck. I *may* even be willing to attempt a late model interior swap as well. I've seen pictures of the full 100% late model interior swap on an XJ and MJ. The exterior is easy. I've got pics somwhere of the late model interior on the mj.

I would actually build mine exactly like the top picture.

Last edited:
Back