• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck-lite's new LED headlight for XJ's

Interesting. I am concerned with the poly lens, not due to rock chips, but yellowing with age. However, vinyl shields can be applied to protect from both. Do you have a pic with the lights aimed at a blank wall.. just interested in the cut off. The are DOT Certified (or what ever its called since DOT itself doesn't certify anything), but the beam pattern doesn't look bad at all.

Interesting. I am concerned with the poly lens, not due to rock chips, but yellowing with age. However, vinyl shields can be applied to protect from both. Do you have a pic with the lights aimed at a blank wall.. just interested in the cut off. The are DOT Certified (or what ever its called since DOT itself doesn't certify anything), but the beam pattern doesn't look bad at all.

Im in the middle of building a bumper for the DD, so its up on the lift, but as soon as I am done (a day or two), I will take a cutoff picture and post it up.

There have been a few folks with TJ's/JK's with the round version who have applied stick on shielding.

There have been a few folks with TJ's/JK's with the round version who have applied stick on shielding.

It works very well and I would recommend it to anyone with any value in their headlights.

I love my Cibies with 90/100w bulbs but the bulbs do burn out more than I like.

Those headlights are truly amazing but at $240 per light I am quite satisfied with my HID conversions that cost me $120 for the set. I would probably consider parting with $240 if it were for a set.

Wish I had 500 bucks to blow on headlights. Not in the budget though.

I have never smashed a headlight, the stock glass housing even took it fine when I slid into a guardrail at low speed back in 08 or so. It crushed the fiberglass behind it instead of breaking :laugh2:

Justifying the cost is a little tough...but if you're into that kind of stuff they're by far one of the clearest setups you can buy...Truck-Lite did a good job with them, the quality is fantastic, but definitely not cheap

XJFrontClip.jpg

I WANT A SET

i have some IPF's with fatboy2 bulbs and its great but these beat mine hands down
Of all the lights I've tested, IPFs are the worst reflector made and the Fatboys are among the worst bulbs available ---- not as bad as Delta or PIAA but close.
Hype and nonsense. It's terribly easy to fool your eyes.

Compare a Fatboy to a real bulb like a Phillips HIR2 --- the first thing you notice is that the HIR2 is much slimmer than a regular bulb, less gas, better focus, more light. The Fatboy acheives its illusion of brightness by moving the focal point and running higher wattage.
The reflectors and bulbs are both illegal to use on-road.

There are two or three really good bulbs for H4 reflectors. I've played with a couple and some work better in one reflector than the other.
Phillips Xtreme Power (or Extreme Vision if you can find them)
Osram Rallye 70/65
Narva Range Power

I would buy these in a heartbeat if they made them for my '01 Dodge 2500.

I had the HID retrofits and the cutoff was TERRIBLE. I blinded everyone. Ended up trashing the kit since it was poor quality. :rolleyes:
I feel your pain. There's nothing for me either; I have an '11 Power Wagon.
At least I can put an HIR2 bulb in my highbeams but I'm stuck with the sucky reflectors.

There are no HID drop-ins that are legal or work well, btw.
Does your 2500 use H13? If so, the Phillips Xtreme Power will help.

There are members on JeepForum using the film for protection.
And you're right; the polycarb will yellow eventually. They used the best material they had (within reason) but at this price-point it will yellow eventually. But you're talking about more than a decade...
As for DOT certification, the lights are independently assayed to be in compliance with FMVSS-108. That's what a manufacturer must do to sell them legally. Trucklite is a real company that wants to sell these to real customers; the lights are completely legal for all of North America (unlike IPF...).

^ Nice Jeep!
No kidding.
More pics please.

I balked at the price, but thinking about it, I have probably spent close to $300 on lighting over the last 5 years or so, and it's not even in the same league. $500 one time, no harnesses, no custom wiring, no more lamp changes, etc... that's really not bad, given the light output.

I'm sure there are quite a few folks who have spent more than that, for less.

want.
can't afford.

This is highly relevant - I've got a headlamp out and need to do something.
Not interested in buying another sealed housing for 14 dollars.
I'm looking to fix this issue for good.

So these lights last a long time, eh?
How long VS Halogen bulbs in HID housings?
What is the lifetime of a Halogen bulb?

Maybe it DOES make sense to spend this kind of cash to get it over with, easily.

Halogen bulb life depends on varialbles.
The quality of the bulb, the operating temperatures, the voltage level and quality it's fed, vibrations...
Anywhere from 100 hours to 1000 hours. It's a huge range.
I was replacing bulbs on my H4/Cibie set-up every 3 months with my power relayed straight from the battery.

A rebased HID capsule in a halogen reflector? Many of the same variables, especially the quality ones.
Remember that despite what the website says, no reputable manufacturer makes a rebased HID capsule to retrofit into an H4 reflector. It's all knock-off.
Then you have to consider the wiring. An ignitor pulls massive amperage to start those puppies up.
And, this matters to me personally, they're not legal.

The lifespan on the LEDs is typically 50,000 - 100,000 hours. 3 year warranty on these things.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...10001&storeId=10001&productId=92027&langId=-1

Am I the only person here that sees that these lights have TERRIBLE hot spots? Eeek... gimme a projector retrofit any day over these.
The camera tends to exhagerate things; the actual light is quite nice to drive by.
And some people prefer a legal alternative to the projector retrofit. There are more and more jurisdictions that enforce headlight compliance.

Jim, im not sure about the terminology you used, but if by 'hotspots' you mean ample light in certain areas, they are designed that way. Keep in mind these photos are from a camera (cameras do weird things with light), about midway on the hood of the Jeep. When you are driving, you cant even see the bottom cut-off line except on the sides of the vehicle. There are no 'hotspots' so to speak when driving, only ample light that is friendly to the eye (boths yours, and oncoming traffic), exactly where you need it.

Just a note, to no one in particular - I didnt post this to try to convert anyone from whatever they are currently using, but only to give my personal opinion, and provide a little consistent (if not scientific) testing compared to the stock candles these XJ's come with. Another option if you will.

If you are happy with your HID/Halogen/whatever, by all means continue using them. If you arent happy with your headlight output, the Trucklites are DEFINITELY worth a look.

I also have no stock in this, I was a test guinea pig. Now im a much happier guinea pig, who will be ordering another set for my trail rig.

~ Stump

(sponsorship voice on)

James, you seem to have an in with the manufacturers. Perhaps they would be interested in donating a set for the Giveaway Jeep in exchange for some advertising privledges?

(sponsorship voice off)

Back