• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwright Warranty experience; Must Read

turpehar

NAXJA Forum User
I know many of you may have already purchased your tires, either from Treadwright or one of the numerous others. For those who have purchased Treadwright tires or those who will potentially, this is my experience. This is not intended to raise or lower expectations but just to point out how companies operate. You decide for yourself if you like the outcome.

In December 2007 I ditched my Mustang GT in favor of a Cherokee which is more conducive to the central Illinois winters. Of course having many ORV type vehicles in the past, the upgrade list was started before I got home with the XJ.

My lift of choice was an RE 3.5 with rear leaf, and standard shock for the package. The kit went on fine with only the normal XJ lift issues.

Since the XJ came with a decent set of aluminum wheels, I didn’t need anything new. As for tires, over the years I think I’ve purchased every name brand tire on the market with exceptions, ProComp and Super Swamper. I won’t even discuss cheap Asian knockoffs,,, just because.

Just because my wife likes a credit score above 800, she watches me like a hawk, where money is at stake. I decided to look for an alternative to top name brands because of that plus this XJ is a DD that doesn’t get driven on weekends with the exception of a very few wheeling trips.

After much deliberation and research I decided to go with Treadwright. The tire was to be a BFG carcass with a 31x1050 15 in the BFG MT pattern. My order was placed and in less than two weeks they arrived.

I take them to the tire store in a rush because I want to drive this thing. I don’t have the toughest skin and I hate to be laughed at, but I was laughed out of the tire store when I dropped them off. “Retreads,, are you crazy”? Well I’ve lived in this small town for 27 years and know most everyone, and that hurt.

In the end the joke was on them when I returned to pick up the mounted tires. Out of four tires, .75oz (point 75 of an ounce) was the most weight that was needed to balance, .25oz was the least. Just so happened at the same time they had just mounted some other name brand tires that the minimum weight was 1.75oz, and the highest was 2.75oz. HA!

OK, now I’m home and installed and driving along life’s path for nearly two years. I rotate more often than most and pay particular attention to tire pressure and front end issues which might cause tire wear and in general be unsafe. Ask me why sometime, but not now.

At nearly the two year point which is the warranty term from Treadwright, I noticed that the tires were all showing signs of dry cracking. I took pictures and placed a call to Treadwright to speak about my issues. I was given an email address to send the pictures to and off they went.

treadwright.jpg

Much to my chagrin I was told that this was not an issue and my potential claim was being rejected. At that point I just thought to myself that when I bought the tires I wasn’t expecting a lot and that two years, maybe three years when all was done, I had gotten my monies worth.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. After returning from lunch heading back to my place of business I noticed a pulling to the right which was very unusual. I got out at work and noticed that the front right was almost all the way down. I assumed a puncture in the tire.

I took the tire off and rolled it into the shop to find the nail or whatever. Sorry, the sidewall was leaking, oops. I had no plans of replacing my tires this soon so I set out to buy a used tire. Ask me how that worked out sometime, but not now.

On hands and knees, begging, my wife standing,,, straight up tells me she has no play money for me and that new tires will have to wait. At that time it occoured to me that I should maybe just buy another Treadwright and continue about my business.

The person I talked to quoted me $10 off the price of the tire for my trouble,,,, I asked for her name and told her I would think about it. For some stupid reason I went to the Treadwright website to review the warranty again and I found this little page called “Contact Us”.

I sent in the form with my information last Friday and forgot about it. Then yesterday I was contacted asking for more information plus additional pictures with a name and phone number to contact. I called and the gentleman was so busy it took a few tries to make contact.

He asked me about my situation and I gave him all the detail I could remember. His first response was that he felt like my situation was not handled correctly the first time I contacted them. He did some checking about my original case while we were on the phone and asked me what I wanted to make this right. I told him I figured since I was past the warranty period I only wanted them to know that one of the tires they sold me split in a lug on the sidewall during normal driving. He said thanks for the feedback and asked me to hold for a moment.

When he came back he offered to sell me a brand new set of tires at %50 off and free shipping. I humbly replied “YES”.

When I calmed down I asked why the tires had cracked so bad. His explanation was that he knew it was possible that there may not have been enough UV inhibitor compound in the run my tires were made in. He said “no tire should weather crack like that in two years”

My tires should be here in a few weeks as the product lead times are long. Just for everyone’s benefit, you should know that Treadwright is expanding in an attempt to adjust to the increasing demand for their product. They are also researching new product lines (sizes) from customer requests.

In closing, I just want to say that there have been few times in my life where I was given the end of the stick that wasn’t short. This is a good reason to buy from Treadwright if you feel so inclined to do so.

I am in no way affiliated with Treadwright or any subsidiaries.

You got two years out of a cheap tire. What are you expecting? Treadwright is a good company and the customer service was great. My old ones are stilll running around on a Jeep and doing well. I also got the same reaction at the tire store you did and he about messed himself when he balanced one without a weight.

I wanna know what your wife said when you obligated yourself to spend 50% of the money she said you didn't have!!!

Half off on just about any of their tires would still be well under $300, quite a few under $200. For a full set of tires with new tread, even on a tight budget, thats a pretty good deal. That's my opinion on it anyway.

If they re-start their line of 33"s I will probably get a set.

Half off on just about any of their tires would still be well under $300, quite a few under $200. For a full set of tires with new tread, even on a tight budget, thats a pretty good deal. That's my opinion on it anyway.

If they re-start their line of 33"s I will probably get a set.

I wanna hear HER opinion just for giggles...............

Good to know, thanks for posting. My brother is running the 31" bfg A/T mimics on his XJ and likes them, I am thinking of getting a set also (wish they had 32").

Ben

I have to ask...

What exactly is so Modified Tech about this post? No one here has bought tires, or had good customer service?

OT maybe...

You got two years out of a cheap tire. What are you expecting? Treadwright is a good company and the customer service was great. My old ones are stilll running around on a Jeep and doing well. I also got the same reaction at the tire store you did and he about messed himself when he balanced one without a weight.

It was more about what I never expected, two years with the dry cracking. I liked the tires when I got them and will be pleased to run them again if what was said about the compound not being correct when manufactured is true.

The purpose of the post is clearly stated in the 1st PP.

"For those who have purchased Treadwright tires or those who will potentially, this is my experience. This is not intended to raise or lower expectations but just to point out how companies operate. You decide for yourself if you like the outcome."

In other words, you wanted to rant and rave. No technical merit there.:conceited

The purpose of the post is clearly stated in the 1st PP.

"For those who have purchased Treadwright tires or those who will potentially, this is my experience. This is not intended to raise or lower expectations but just to point out how companies operate. You decide for yourself if you like the outcome."

In other words, you wanted to rant and rave. No technical merit there.:conceited

I'm really not sure where anything I stated resembled ranting or raving. Maybe you are reading my mind?

Nice. I just got one of my new 265/75/16 Treadwrights replaced for free because it was wearing badly, and balanced badly.

gotta say naxja bugs me when people really get flustered over where a post is put, get over it and dont read the damn thing. its not like its messing anything up or breaking rules, who cares, hes giving helpful info and thats what an offroad forum is for

What's the datecode on the BFG carcasses?

There is a chance the carcass looked fine when they recapped it, so they didn't check the date of manufacture, and it's simply gotten old enough that the sidewalls are dry cracking now.

gotta say naxja bugs me when people really get flustered over where a post is put, get over it and dont read the damn thing. its not like its messing anything up or breaking rules, who cares, hes giving helpful info and thats what an offroad forum is for

I agree and disagree at the same time. I agree that the way people get flustered over putting a post where it shouldn't be does get old, but disagree based on the fact that there are different sections for different reasons. Imagine how hard it would be to search through Modified Tech for a specific post that you know you've seen in there with that really awesome mod that you just have to know more about, when all you see is "rants and raves", "my jeep won't start", and "she's running hot!" It would get annoying quickly wouldn't it? I know it sure would to me. But, back on topic here....

I've been running the 31x10.50's in the MTR pattern on Firestone Destination sidewalls for almost a month now. 1500 highway miles, a couple of mud pits, and some light wheeling later and they're performing awesome! Balanced up just as smooth and as easy as can be, and are relatively quiet compared to what I was expecting on the road.

I got the same look at the tire shop too..."Those aren't Firestones...they look like Goodyear's. Wait a minute, those are damn recaps!!!"

:D

Back