• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Shifter Fix

shaddady34

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing new bushings to get rid of linkage rattle (tbs). How do i get the driver side carpet up to get access for shifter bolts. It looks like i have to remove center console. I removed center console tray, but found nothing to unbolt to remove assembly. any advicee

The only bushings I've ever replaced were under the Jeep at the shifter pivot points.
I don't know how much carpet you'd have to pull up tp get the console out, but you really can't get much up, without removing the drivers seat, then the door sills and the kick panel. A tip, tear the padding off the inside of the kick panel, the padding makes it almost impossible to find the screw holes again. And be carefull when you reinstall the self tapping screws in the door sill, there is a harness behind there and it's possible to try and screw a screw through it (yes I did that).
The self tapping scews for the sill, sometimes rust off at the tip and can be a pain. Make sure your screwdriver fits the screw head well. I can't really remember if the heads a metric cut or not (there is a difference between a metric cross tip and a phillips head), but I do remember many of my screwdrivers were a sloppy fit and they were prone to strip the heads. I fianlly found a phillips ( or cross head) screwdriver that was a good fit.

no i just need to pull carpet back from side of transfer case shifter. How do i lift the center console up to pull back carpet is my question

shaddady34 said:
no i just need to pull carpet back from side of transfer case shifter. How do i lift the center console up to pull back carpet is my question
Take the screws out, some are inside the console, put the shifter in the center and turn the handle sideways.

I did what 8Mud is talking about when I swapped the linkage bushings on my 2001. I don't remember how high the bolts for the linkage were on the transmission tunnel. Getting to them from the console side may be tough.

The console has four screws. Two inside the compartment, one in the hole for the transmission shifter, and one in the hole for transfer case shifter. You'll have to pry the trim pieces out to get to the last two. Mine's a 5 speed, so I don't know what it takes to get the trim piece for the tranny shifter out. I imagine it's pretty similar. There's a little groove on the driver side where you should be able to pry it out.

HTH

ok now the console is off and i noticed that the carpet is connected to the other side so should i cut it or try something else. Reason i ask is i am worried that if i cut it, the carpet will pull out or crinkle up

on a possibly diffrent note...is it common to have a Xcase lever w/o a positive engagment? When I pull the lever into 4wd, it dosent "click"....the light come on but there is almost no feel that it droped into gear. I've felt this poitive engagment in other peoples jeeps, but not mine.

shaddady34 said:
ok now the console is off and i noticed that the carpet is connected to the other side so should i cut it or try something else. Reason i ask is i am worried that if i cut it, the carpet will pull out or crinkle up

The front carpet is one big piece, so yes, it is connected.

I think it'll be easier (believe it or not) to lift the carpet from the driver side foot well. Pull the driver seat, the two trim panels that 8Mud mentioned, and the carpet lifts right up. While you're under there, look for standing water and any rust on floor boards. I found water when I pulled the carpet back, but no rust yet. That's when I decided the interior is getting POR-15ed this summer.

Pulling the carpet up isn't that tough. You'll feel better about yourself in the end. That damn rattle will finally go away too.

I just did this repair 3 weeks ago: remove the plastic trim around the door, and dont waist your time, remove the drivers seat. The carpert is stiff but you will be able to lift it to access the bolts.

We just did a 4wd conversion & found it VERY easy to access the bolts by removing the console (had to remove it anyways to open up holes & put new tranny in) and pulling the carpet back besides the seat. We slit the carpet a little (under the console area) and my hands fit fine to put the new bracket on.

While the console was out, we drilled holes in the tunnel above the tranny to pull the tranny vent tube & tcase vent tube up & through for waterproofing measures.

Back