• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler

trkrdave

NAXJA Forum User
the other day it was quite hot out and while climbing a steep hill the tranny downshifted twice and when I got to the top there was a cloud of smoke and tranny fluid was coming out of the filler tube. I drove slowly to the next exit and when I stopped to check iit was not leaking any more and the fluid was fine. Today on the return trip home it was much cooler outside and I drove quite slowly. No problems but when I got home i took out the grill and put my hand on the tranny cooler and it was cold. Am I right in assuming that it is not working. I recently had my rad changed and maybe the shop installed it wrong. The vehicle is a '92 4.0 with the aw4. thanks

The OEM tranny cooler is a sausage shaped thing in the bottom radiator tank. It should be the same temp. as the radiator. The A/C condenser lives in front of your radiator. Are your transmission lines warm (in and out)? If not your radiator trans cooler may be clooged.

The OEM trans cooler is not very effective anyway. Search trans cooler.
Good Luck

Climbing up long hills in OverDrive will drive the tranny temp through the roof, even with a cooler. I have a temp gauge on my mini-van (it has the Chrysler electronic 4 spd that is notorous for going bad) and I have learned this.

Taking the tranny out of overdrive and putting it in 3, will keep the trans much cooler as you climb up the long hills or mountain sides.

It sounds like your trans almost cooked itself, which would have definitely oxidized most of the fluid. I would change the fluid right away, as much as possible, do a flush (since 50% or more of the fluid stays trapped in the trans torque converter and inner workings when you drop the pan), otherwise a trans failure may be in your near future.

Putting a temp gauge on an Automatic Trans is pretty easy and NOT that expensive, it has been a life saver on my Mini-Van.

You need to not drive it if you want any chance of saving that AW4. You should at the least put a magnet on the drain plug and drop the pan. More than likly the Tq converter is what caused all the heat and if it is not locking up it will cause more heat.

the trans was just dropped last week to change the flexplate. the whole thing was inspected and they said it was in great shape. Is it possible they put too much fluid in it. Right now the fluid looks and smells like new.

It's very possible they put too much fluid in; it's also not unheard of to have a normal fill puke like that when it's overly full. Doing at least a drain of what's in the pan now (just pull the drain plug) and re-doing that for each of your next several oil changes will keep the fluid fresh.

agent98 said:
The OEM tranny cooler is a sausage shaped thing in the bottom radiator tank. It should be the same temp. as the radiator. The A/C condenser lives in front of your radiator. Are your transmission lines warm (in and out)? If not your radiator trans cooler may be clooged.
If you have the factory tow package there is an aux cooler in front of the radiator, between the a/c condensor and the radiator.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

they did put too much fluid in. I drained and re-filled it up to the middle of the crosshairs. after a 15 min drive on the highway it was way above the fill line again. Where should it be when its cold and when it is hot. I'm more interested in where the reading should be on the dipstick after a highway drive. Thanks everyone for your help. Very appreciated.

Yucca-Man said:
If you have the factory tow package there is an aux cooler in front of the radiator, between the a/c condensor and the radiator.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

My factory aux cooler is in front of the condensor. (96')

trkrdave said:
they did put too much fluid in. I drained and re-filled it up to the middle of the crosshairs. after a 15 min drive on the highway it was way above the fill line again. Where should it be when its cold and when it is hot. I'm more interested in where the reading should be on the dipstick after a highway drive. Thanks everyone for your help. Very appreciated.
Drive 'til it's well warmed.
Stop on a level surface.
Leave the motor running.
Pull the parking brake up, but keep your foot on the brake.
Cycle through the gears, stopping a few seconds in each to ensure the solenoid engages.
Put the tranny in Neutral, and get out, making sure the Jeep doesn't roll.
Check the tranny fluid level - it should be between the Add and Fill marks.

Hale - you're right about the cooler positioning..

Jim www.yuccaman.com

The Chrysler A-604 (a.k.a. 41TE, the 4spd Electronic) is the only Automatic Trans I have ever seen with a Dip Stick graduated for cold and hot. Every other trans its one set of markings, for when the fluid is hot. That is the fluid hot, not the motor up at operating temp, so you should drive it some and then check the fluid level.

Back