• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar questions

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
A guy nearby me wants to sell me his RE1600 adj. trackbar for $40. He says that it was "modified" via cutting and welding it to a different angle because a shop installed 1-ton steering on his XJ and apparently that was needed.
Another guy is selling his JKS adj. trackbar for $100, however his was cut down about 1" for unknown reasons to me.
Both have had these mods done professionally.
What would I do to fix one? The RE one I like because it is only $40 so if I can't use it, I can take it back to him and he'll give me the money back. I was wondering if/how much a shop could reweld the bar back to its original angle.
The XJ that needs this will only be lifted probably 4" at most, I'm thinking about getting a Rusty's full 3" system or RE 3.5" system, whichever the budget allows once I piece it all together.

Consider this first before you decide to buy iether one. Theyve both been modified to suit specific conformations. Cut, rewelded, Ect, even "Professionally" Is still a risk. IMO, skip them and cut to the chase. If I understand correctly you aim to get a full on suspension kit anyways, and most quality kits out there include a trackbar and mount anyways. One guy is willing to part with his "Modified" Trackbar for 40 bucks?? Whats he saying, really?.... SAFETY before ANYTHING is a credo that I hold to religiously!!

Most kits I am looking at that are under 4.5" do not come with a trackbar. Some come with that drop mount but I don't want that, all I hear are bad things about it. I don't want to go to 4.5" just yet because I don't have an SYE/driveshaft and my budget wouldn't be able to handle a good 4.5" system and SYE and driveshaft.

It's always better to save up a little more than to sacrifice safety using something that was cut and welded for your suspension, just because it was cheaper.

Yeah, I'll go take a look at it, the guy lives down the road from me. I just didn't know if it can be reworked. I didn't think people would actually sell their trackbars because that's not really something that can be upgraded much more.

Just my .02, but I would not mess around with a modified trackbar from another rig. After having to deal with a worn one my XJ, I would buy a new one that if customized, is done so specifically for your truck. The negative handling from an improper trackbar is not worth the dollar savings. They can wander like crazy making for unpredicable handling under hard braking, acceleration, and for that matter every little off-camber bump in the road!

not to preech, and just my opinion, but I like the Rusty's lift, but hate almost anything else from them.
I fixed the trac bar I got from them, and had to weld it (now its non adjustable) so that it would hold up to on road use, let alone off road. very small compared to RE and others it seems.
so the lift is ok, but stay away from the trac bar.

It's an RE1600 trackbar. I just looked at it, seems very nice, professionally done. Sleeved too. I'll post up pics in a bit. Comes with a new mount too. If not I can always give it back to him.

IM000488.jpg

IM000487.jpg

IM000486.jpg

IM000485.jpg

IM000484.jpg

IM000483.jpg

IM000482.jpg

Those booger welds don't have any characteristics of being professional. :)

Do what you wish. You seem to have your mind made up already. I personally would not run it. The minimal immediate savings would not out weigh the potential losses later on.

Too many have already complained about the RE1600 being weak in the first place. If those welds weren't done correctly, then they have further weakened an already weak track bar.

No I will not do your research for you and pull up links to posts about failed RE1600's. That's your job.

Here is the other trackbar.
30hmxyf.jpg

PRICE:$100 obo
CONDITION:Slight modification(an inch was cut off the end that goes to the axle).
Comes with a brand new bushing. ALL THREAD HAVE BEEN COATED WITH ANTI SEIZE

The welds on the first bar are so undercut that you can see it in the blurry pic. which is a great place to break. Sometimes "Professional" just means someone paid someone else to do it.

joel

Just looked at the pics again and saw that they sleeved it, however judging from the weld quality, I would wonder if the sleeve is even the correct OD for the ID

I dunno, the guy had a shop "Guinea pig" his XJ because they wanted to see how to make an over-the-knuckle steering system for it, and apparently that was modded too.
I'll probably return it soon, just keep looking for another trackbar I guess.

I got another question. How good is the trackbar made from RK? I like the bar itself but the mount is kinda weird. Looks to me that even with enough tightening, it would still slide up and down. Or am I just looking at it wrong?
xj_zj_trackbar.JPG

Back