• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter lockup

well I can finally put an end to my tcc lockup problem and of course it is in the last place I looked. After I replaced the TCU, lockup tranny solenoid, cleaned/inspected the NSS and valvebody, I finally replaced the torque converter and what do you know- I now have tcc lockup and my CEL finally went away!
I guess better late than never. I also now have much firmer shifts and my gas mileage has improved. Maybe now I can have some fun with my jeep instead of working on it all the time.
:party:

well I can finally put an end to my tcc lockup problem and of course it is in the last place I looked. After I replaced the TCU, lockup tranny solenoid, cleaned/inspected the NSS and valvebody, I finally replaced the torque converter and what do you know- I now have tcc lockup and my CEL finally went away!
I guess better late than never. I also now have much firmer shifts and my gas mileage has improved. Maybe now I can have some fun with my jeep instead of working on it all the time.
:party:

Sounds like it may be time for me to buy a TC and do a rebuild here.

Do you mind saying how much the torque converter cost? Did you get it from the dealer or other?

I'm recieveing code 700 and 743, it has been coming and going for the last few months.

Thanks,

see post #3
Obviously I wish I had replaced the tc first. I consulted with a lot of people including some local tranny shops and got the same answer from all of them, they rarely see the torque converter go out in the aw4 and when they do the fluid looks/smells burnt, which mine never did. Even the shop diagnostic programs like Allpar listed the tc as the very last thing to replace, after tcu and valve body and of course checking the wiring.
Oh well, just glad its fixed, I now know how to tear a valve body apart!

Somebody was asking recently about when the The torque converter on the AW4 unlocks, and if it unlocks between gear shifts. I discovered something new to me today with my 87 Renix AW4 rig. I have a TC lock up indicator light on mine. In D mine will lock up in 2nd gear at about 25-30 mph, and stay locked all the way to 4th, and stay locked until I brake, or if the forward speed drops under 25 mph (no throttle and no brake).

But if I manually down shift from 4 to 3, or 3 to 2, the TC will unlock, shift gears, and then re-lock between gear changes! But if I manually up shift from 2 to 3, or 3 to 4, it stays locked during the gear change!

I may wrong, but I thought it only locked up in 3 & 4? I know the newer ones do.

I may wrong, but I thought it only locked up in 3 & 4? I know the newer ones do.

I just confirmed that mine does lock in 2nd gear. Today I got it up to 35 mph, in 3rd, and down shirted to 1-2, and it shifted to second, locked the TC and stayed locked until I slowed down to about 10 mph (even with the brake on, so I think I have a brake switch or ground problem, another topic....)

This an old thread, not a new thread, but in looking around for what I am debugging today, I had an answer for the last posters old question.

Back