• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire balancing for those who wheel

My MTR's are balanced every 4 months or so for free by the Goodyear people. Often, the weights get knocked off and I just go in and they replace it. Some of my friends run tires that are not balanced and they are fine. I guess some tires are different then others though.

i dont know the reason it works but i dont have ANY vibs from my tires up to any speed ive taken them (about 80)

so has anyone actualy tried this style method and didnt like it? cause noone on this thread has said they didnt like it, only negative stuff came from those that didnt say they had tried it.

kolby

my next venture will be Equal when i go to 35s.... LAWNCHER said he had some bad effects using BBs in his D/D suburban but i cant remember what they were.. and using sand i would expect the abrasive surface of the sand to scrub all the paint off the inside of the wheel and scour the inner layer of rubber too.. i'd expect to find a pile of paint/rubber powder inside the tire after a good amount of use.. for a trail rig it may take alot longer but i would expect the same results.....

mike

Dan Turner said:
Did you try pulling the valve core? Thats how I usually do it for quicker air downs.

Dan

That's what I ended up doing, otherwise we woulda been there all day!
I just kept the core right above the stem so I didn't lose any of the equal.

normally I would have been aired down in about 5 mins

Also, A lot of times, people think they are running a balanced tire, but they will be a whole lot smoother if properly balanced. I get people in the shop all the time that Have me doing axle work and they might mention something else, so I throw them on the balancer and they will be out a couple of ounces. It makes a big difference. Even an ounce can be noticeable. Get it doner right if you do much street driving, find a good shop and see if they have any sort of re balancing policy. If you just wheel it, then I guess I wouldn't bother either way.
Dustin

hmmm. Would having an out of balance tire cause a consistant wobble in the frontend at certain speeds? I ask because I'm still trying to find out why I have deathwobble (barely noticeable at highway speeds now that my new stabilizer hides it....but I can still feel it trying sometimes over big bumps) and maybe this is it. I just can't see why an out of balance tire could cause the DW's only when hitting a bump. ???

Back