• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire time!

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
Soo, its time for new tires for the XJ, I've gotta buddy who owns a shop out here in the I.E. and has a couple options of tires in the 35x12.5x15 flavor for about the same price.

First off the General Grabber Red Labels... Im usually not a fan of the flashy bling of these tires and will probably run em with the red label in but Ive read reviews on total opposite sides of the spectum on these tires. Either they wear super fast or they last forever.

2nd choice are the Mastercraft MXT tires. They're made by Cooper and have heard that they're a Decent tire but Nothing too much about them. They do look fairly aggressive too.

3rd and least favorite choice (and a lil cheaper) Are the Gladiator M/Ts. I have a set of these trailer style tires on the 5th wheel and they've held up for a couple years with no issues but they're a fairly new and truly untested tire in the M/T style.

These are going on my DD XJ that gets about 500 miles a month on it and about 10 wheeling trips a yr (JV, Truckhaven,Glamis, Big Bear,etc) I don't consider myself to be running the hardest trails but we do frequent Cougar Buttes, Dishpan, John Bull and other medium difficulty trails.

What do you guys think? I've usually just bought decent sets of Used 35s from CL or here but they've been becoming very hard to find in decent shape for 15" wheels.

Thanks

Jay

I've had my red labels for a couple thousand miles now so I can't speak about longevity, but they still look like new. Only time I've hit the trails was on my recent Cleghorn trip and they performed flawless even at 30psi.
Wish I could help more or had a better (long term) review, but that's all I got. I'm happy with them so far.
I have the 31x10.5 BTW.

I have the General Grabbers AT2 and they are 35x12.5x17 and these are by far the quietest and smoothest ATs I have owned. Considering I have had multiple sets of BFG Ats and MTs these are hands down the best. For the price on tirerack they couldnt be beat. Just my 2c

I have the General Grabbers AT2 and they are 35x12.5x17 and these are by far the quietest and smoothest ATs I have owned. Considering I have had multiple sets of BFG Ats and MTs these are hands down the best. For the price on tirerack they couldnt be beat. Just my 2c

X2!
I've been running them on my D/D, weekend wheeler/work truck 85 Toyota for close to a year now.
My truck runs lockers, gets driven around 100mi a day carrying a crap load of tools and has seen several trips back and forth to Cedar City, Ut as well as rock trailing at single digit pressures......by far a much better tire than the several sets of BFGs I've run over the years on all three of my 4Xs.
Bought them through Tire Rack and mounted them myself (Harbor Freight manual tire machine) then had the monkeys at Walmart balance them.
Great tire, great price, wearing and holding up well.
Oh yeah, they're 35x12.50x15s
Hans

i spend most of my time on the street and i love my falken wildpeaks. silent on the street, they ride nice and smooth, and they work good in JV out in the dirt too i dunno about rocks though i dont crawl.

335c01627e39362ab83e80d517857d7d.jpg
58a1da63cbdeb08ea525dd5d1c049fa2.jpg

I loved mine by far the best mt I have ran in the rocks. I got 30k out of a set of then and they still had roughly half tread I sold them for $500 and bought another set. They are great on the road stupid quiet and very tough. It took a 5/8 lag to the side wall to kill one.

I use Firestone Destination exclusively. I've had 4 sets of their LTs on my WJ and ZJ, each lasting ~60,000 miles, and their MTs on my XJ.

I wouldn't consider anything else - but that's just me. Last set of LTs were about $450 for a set of 4 stock size, and my MTs were $1300 for a set of 5 in a 32" size.

Back