• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for those planning on Tenting this year.

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Figured I would ask those who have done it in years past. I plan on sleeping in my tent this year and could use some tips from those experienced in Attica campground camping.

What kind of equipment, tools, gear would be recommended?
Space heater? Tarps for ground cover. I would imagine air matresses would be out of the question because of the low temps at night. Cooking utensils? Plates? Garbage bags? Lots of blankets.

Just getting things together for the few nights I'll be there. I would rather not be miserable while there, so I'm sure others would appreciate some insite as well.

Couple electric heaters in the tent and an air mattress would be fine... def tarps, probably going to be really muddy... Sleeping bag with maybe 1 heavy blanket should be enough... Pickup/pack-out what you bring in... There are dumpsters at the campground if I remember...

I won't be there this year but I've camped the last two years there. It will be muddy, possibly raining, so make sure you have a waterproof tent, put a tarp under it but make sure it's folded under so water doesn't puddle between the tarp and tent. An air mattress or pad of some sort would be a great idea, or at least several blankets under the sleeping bag, anything to keep you off the ground. Keep your clothes and especially boots for the next day inside to tent to keep them from freezing.

As mentioned it will most likely be muddy and wet so bring plenty of extra, and very warm clothes. I'd recommended waterproof boots too.

There will be plenty of grills and fire to cook food on, but plan on lunches you can take with you in the jeep.

Buy a popup camper.......:D

Keep your next day clothing/boots in the tent up on something (cooler, rubbermaid tote) in case you do get water inside.

Put your extra stuff in the Jeep overnight to keep it from getting wet.

Air mattress to keep your sleeping bag off the floor in case of water inside.

Getting the theme here? :D

I hate having water inside a tent and soaking my stuff. Makes for a miserable time.

Straw under the tent, or set tent on your trailer.

I'm going to put a tarp over my tent too, for protection from rain and to keep the frost/dew off the tent.

One extension cord per heater.

I sense an ongoing theme here............keeping things dry/warm. What kind of heaters are you guys using? Propane, electric? Im thinking electric to keep gases from propane heaters from using all the oxygen inside the tent. Am I overthinking it or am I on the right track?

Yes, you never want to use a heater that consumes any oxygen in a place like a tent.

I went to Farm&Barn and bought a couple of those electric milk-house heaters a few years back. They work really nice, but like Dan said, one per extension cord. In 2009 I slept in the Jeep pass. seat and had 1 heater in the back, on low, by tailgate. Ended up cracking the windows and opening the door several times over night cause it got so hot...

I sleep in the back of the 'Cherobago'.

One electric space heater and a good sleeping bag and I'm good to go. I set up the pup tent so I have something to store my stuff in during the day while I wheel.

I sleep in the back of the 'Cherobago'.

One electric space heater and a good sleeping bag and I'm good to go. I set up the pup tent so I have something to store my stuff in during the day while I wheel.

This is my plan for this year

Sleep in the back of the jeep with a air bed and a small space heater, pop a small tent up for all my cht

Last edited:
If I can't get the right stuff together in time, I will end up in the back of the jeep. We shall see though.

sleeping in a tent rule #1.....pass out face down and leave the camera with in reach....well, that rule is if you want everyone to mess with ya... :D

This may sound strange, but go to the bathroom before you pass out, preferably not in your sleeping bag and not someones gas tank.

You will actually be much warmer that way w/o a full bladder.

TENT: dont need it. sleep in the back of your xj
SLEEPING BAG: dont need it. just imagine you are warm and that the snow on the ground is actually sand
EXTRA CHANGE OF CLOTHES: just wear the same clothes all weekend.
SOAP/SHAMPOO ETC: no, because who showers at winterfest?
PILLOW: pillows are for wussies
FOOD: theres plenty of small animals running around, also tree bark and pine cones are available
EXTRA MONEY: come to winterfest broke. it makes for an interesting weekend when you start your trip home

THINGS TO BRING:
jeep (duh)
beer (absolutely)
preferred tobacco product (pipe tobacco if you want to stay classy)
2 gal of hawaiian punch (the human body can live a long time on hawaiian punch alone)

:doh:

Back