• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time lapse photography whodunit?

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for advice on hardware and software to pull off a time lapse recording of my buggy build...... I know theres a few who know how to do this so how do I pull it off?

mount a camera on the wall securely so it can't move or turn at all, then snap a pic every day. load it into any video editing software when you're done and you will have your time lapse video.

1- set up video cam
2- hit record
3- walk away
4- upload video
5- speed it up
6- ????
7- profit

as simple as that sounds that would be an ungodly amount of data..... stringing a series of photos together sounds like my best option

What kind of camera do you have?

I used Nikon's Camera Control Pro software with my D40x to record a few time lapses of car disassemblies/assemblies, and then made them into a movie format through QuickTime.

How small is your garage?

If space is tight you might want to consider a GoPro super wide camera. Yes they are known for video but they will also shoot time lapse photos super easy. They have a setting where you can tell it to shoot a photo every 1s, 5s, 10s, 30 s and so on. Every day just download those photos into a file and the use quicktime pro to add them all together and BAM...your timelapse is complete (kindof)

i'm looking at getting a V.I.O POV HD cam for use in Afghanistan then when i get back for taking some cool video of whatever from unusual angle or views. it doesn't say anything about time laps features but something i want to look into. anyone have experience with this camera?

http://www.vio-pov.com/

How small is your garage?

If space is tight you might want to consider a GoPro super wide camera. Yes they are known for video but they will also shoot time lapse photos super easy. They have a setting where you can tell it to shoot a photo every 1s, 5s, 10s, 30 s and so on. Every day just download those photos into a file and the use quicktime pro to add them all together and BAM...your timelapse is complete (kindof)

its pretty small but ive been wanting a go pro cam anyway.... this might justify owning one

I did this video with a go pro and 10 second time delay. http://www.nuveeo.com/831958

Since the battery on the Go Pro only lasts about 1-2 hours I used a iPhone wall charger and a long USB cable to power it for the 3 days, it worked great. Even with 32 GB cards I had to change them once I ended up with over 40GB of photos.. Took a few hours to process.

Last edited:
I did this video with a go pro and 10 second time delay. http://www.nuveeo.com/831958
That's pretty cool! I especially like the clip where you put the buck under the radiator and drain crap out all over the floor. That's how it always works for me too. :thumbup:

That's pretty cool! I especially like the clip where you put the buck under the radiator and drain crap out all over the floor. That's how it always works for me too. :thumbup:

That was really cool. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile now with my GoPro. There are some drives I have to make in my semi I think would make for some cool time lapse stuff.

My only issue with WebDogs...I just don't get why it had to pick this particular frame to decide to hang up and start buffering on :D
uglyface.jpg

That was really cool. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile now with my GoPro. There are some drives I have to make in my semi I think would make for some cool time lapse stuff.

My only issue with WebDogs...I just don't get why it had to pick this particular frame to decide to hang up and start buffering on :D
uglyface.jpg

FU!

Cause I knew you where watching it!!! I was hard to see the small LCD screen without my glasses! haha

Back