• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem removing transmission pan

NGThomas

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to remove the transmission pan but it is being held on by the filler tube. It looks as though the filler tube has a slip joint a few inches above the pan. Should the filler tube just pull apart at this point? How hard do I need to yank on the tube to get it free? Any pointers on how to do this? Thanks,

That slip joint can be a bitch to get apart. It's often easier to just unbolt the dipstick higher up and drop the whole thing down. There is an o-ring in there if you do manage to get it apart.

Also go easy on reinstalling the pan screws. They don't need much more than moderately snug with a ratchet. The aluminum threads in the trans strip very easy, and too tight will deform the edge of the pan and cause a leak.

In the past, I have used PB Rust blaster or such in the joint between the pan and the filler tube. Then I will heat it with a propane torch. I'll try and twist it a bit. It take a while though. And replace the o-ring.

Also go easy on reinstalling the pan screws. They don't need much more than moderately snug with a ratchet. The aluminum threads in the trans strip very easy, and too tight will deform the edge of the pan and cause a leak.

I do studs on everything to eliminate "pulling" any threads and to get a better spread clamping.

Let me guess? 'cos, like so many of us, he thought the "filter" was a service item?

Not sure which is more difficult, finagling the pan out with the tube attached - or separating the tube. Only ever found heat worked. Fortunately the O-ring is nothing special, so easy to replace.

That's why its even more important to service, the filter isn't much of a filter so cleaning the pan and magnet along with a new filter is a great benefit vs circulating dirty fluid!
20180604_162928_zps1bp30wvo.jpg

THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I was able to unbolt the filler tube and drop it down enough that I could twist and rock it enough to pull the slip joint loose.

I bought this 92 XJ about 5 years ago and I did not know all of its provanance. As I just replaced the engine with a remanufactured long block I decided to look into the transmission, mostly because the transmission coolant lines were dodgy,,,did not run where they were supposed to, haning loose, spliced together to run to an after market cooler which itself was just hanging there.

I also installed a dual core aluminum radiator and decided to use the built in transmission heat exchanger as well as the after market cooler so am installing new transmission cooling lines hoses etc. And as has been guessed I wanted to replace the transmission filter, Other than the issue with the filler tube the filter replacement went easy enough. I have also fabbed a set of brackets to mount the after market cooler and plan to run the output (pressure) side from the transmission to the lower aftermarket cooler connection then the upper aftermarket cooler connection out to the lower radiator transmission heat exchanger then the upper radiator transmission heat exchanger line out to return to the transmission. Hope to finish up and get this rig back on the road tomorrow.

The filter did not appear to be very dirty. There was a fair amount of crude in the pan however and the magnets were pretty gunked up. Of course when I put the pan back on you could eat out of it. I replaced the old fluid (which did not appear very dirty) with ATF+4 full synthetic (5 quarts). After adding the first gallon I ran it till warm then checked the fluid level. It was not on the dip stick so I added the 5th quart and checked it again and it was up between the add and the full mark. I will take it down off the ramps this afternoon and go for a test drive (at least 15 miles, per the manual) then check the fluid level again. After I have the new engine broke in I plan to go with Synthetic motor oil also.

I am also in the process of breaking in a new motor. I did use ATF+4 in a '98. I had not issues as I know of. I did have some issues shifting, due to a Solenoid possibly going bad and the rear speed sensor. I went back to Dex3. I am trying Valvoline Max Life ATF. I changed out the torque converter to an Oregon Performance Transmission one. The Transmission was rebuilt about 5 years ago or a bit more. I ran it in another '98 XJ. I have run about 200 miles so far. Probably go to synthetic motor oil after 10K miles.
I have dropped 3-4 trans pans. The worst was on the engine with the least miles. I remember about 130K. Had a black glob in the pan. Maybe palm size. The trans on my present XJ had about 270K. Fairly clean.

I don't know if the synthetics formulas are more compatible but I've been running the Amsoil atf for 23yrs now since the day I bought my 2000! When I pulled the pan for a super build it and the magnet were spotless.

I think there are a handful that run the Valvoline Maxlife in the AW4. I believe it is a retro compatible ATF fluid for Dex3. Although I have run the ATF+4 for a few years, others have had issues. One post said it was a bit thicker than Dex3.
As for the OP, I would be hesitant to run ATF+4, as there seems to have been some clutch pack issues or wear. Also, what milage is on the transmission? Mine has been rebuilt. I do not know what brand of clutch packs were used. I probably have between 30K to 50K on this transmission.

I don't know if the synthetics formulas are more compatible but I've been running the Amsoil atf for 23yrs now since the day I bought my 2000! When I pulled the pan for a super build it and the magnet were spotless.

When I bought XJ, it had 135,000 miles on the clock. 3 thousand miles I used Amsoil in everything, yes, including the AW4. I now have more than 380,000 miles on it. The AW4 run as perfect as it possible could. The only time I took the pan off was to replace the shift solenoids. at that time, it had less than 140,000 miles on it.

I am sure all of you know this, but I will put it out there, The AW4 was not made by Chrysler. It was made by a conglomerate known as Asin Warner. Asin is Japanese and Warner is British. The same transmission was also used on some Lexus and its parent company name, Toyota.

Back