• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TIG or MIG?

Thanks for the input, Hinkley; no doubt a large enough(?) MIG will do the job, and will do it faster. Since I have more experience with TIG, i.e., I can "feel" and see when my "bead" is adequate, I feel more confident using my TIG. I'm just now learning to use my new MIG (a Lincoln 175, 220V).
One Ton, I hear you on using a short back cap and tungsten when working in confined spaces--I tend to "contaminate" my tungsten too often to use the short back cap all the time! The most frustrating project I undertook was major mods to the front frame rails to accommodate the install of a Chevy 350. The rust proofing on the rails (galvanizing?) would frequently pop, with instant globs deposited on the short tungsten--requiring me to grind the contamination off before continuing, leaving the tungsten too short for the torch. This problem occurred most often where two layers of "frame" overlapped and prevented me from properly cleaning the coating off before welding. I've noticed with my MIG I can weld galvanized components without cleaning with no apparent bad affects, other than gnarly, unhealthy fumes. I don't like welding galvanized, but I needed a nut tacked to a plate to be used as a tool to solve a "right now" problem. Using my TIG would have required I grind all traces of galvanization off of the nut or risk instant contamination of the tungsten. Since I was in a hurry, and the job was small, I broke out my new MIG. The results were very satisfying.

Definately bust out the mig anytime you're welding to the body. It just isn't worth the effort. Which 175 do you have? I've got the SP175 Plus (infinate adjustments). I love it, but I need more machine now. Time to sell it and get my Powermig 255.

I wasn't saying use the short back for just tight spaces. I use it all the time. You'd be amazed at how much more control you have without that leverage?? on the torch. Although, I did get lazy here for the last several sessions of welding and used the 6" cap. It was kind of nice to rest it up against tubes that were a little farther away when I didn't want it right on where I was welding.

Oh yeah, don't listen to anything that hinkley says and you'll be light years ahead in your fab work :wave:

OneTonXJ said:
Oh yeah, don't listen to anything that hinkley says and you'll be light years ahead in your fab work :wave:

Yea, that is why your mom is emailing me to see if I can fix her rig up before you all go to EJS this coming year. :rolleyes:

So tell me why I would want to TIG axle stuff before using my MIG. And who has examples of anyone making axles for sale using TIG welds rather than MIG welds for JEEPS?

:wave: Back at ya!

hinkley

I don't have a whole lot of experience with TIG, though I'd love to have one handy down the road. The Lincoln SP175+ I have is a wonderful machine and has absolutely no problem welding anything you'd find on a jeep. My view has always been that MIG and TIG, for the sake of argument in the hands of amatures, equal technologies. It should really come down to which one you're more comfortable with. And nevermind practice. Spend some time working some coupons with the MIG until you're comfortable to do a serious job...you'll thank yourself for the ease-of-use down the road IMO.

I knew you were gonna say that. She had a big 'ol grin when I got back from wheelin' this weekend. I knew she'd been up to no good.

Axle manufacturers mig because it's cheaper/ quicker (appx. 3x's). All my hotrod buddies won't even look at a mig. I tig because it looks better and I concentrate more. Once I got the hang of the tig torch, I pretty much stuck the mig in the corner. I don't do production work though. Well, not yet at least. I'm thinking about building trailers, which is why I want the 255. I'm making my first gooseneck this winter. Hopefully I'll swing it right into your motorhome in Moab :kissyou:

OneTonXJ said:
I knew you were gonna say that. She had a big 'ol grin when I got back from wheelin' this weekend. I knew she'd been up to no good.

Axle manufacturers mig because it's cheaper/ quicker (appx. 3x's).

REALLY!

All my hotrod buddies won't even look at a mig. I tig because it looks better and I concentrate more.

REALLY!

Once I got the hang of the tig torch, I pretty much stuck the mig in the corner.

BAD MIG, STAY IN THAT CORNER!

I don't do production work though.

REALLY!

Well, not yet at least. I'm thinking about building trailers

REDNECK! :D

Hopefully I'll swing it right into your motorhome in Moab

MOST LIKELY WITH YOUR DRIVING SKILLS!

ottow.jpg

:kissyou:

I just got the Licoln SP175Plus, as well. I'm still am trying to get a handle on wire speed vs heat level. I'm used to thinking in terms of amps--not numbers. I know it's just a matter of experimenting and time before I develop the same confidence with the MIG as I currently have with the TIG.
I've been practicing welding 3/16 and 1/4 plate to left over XJ body parts, with decent success. I'm anticipating welding reinforcement channels to the "frame" for long-arm LCA mounts.

So, my driving skills are what killed my fuel pump? Dinkley, how long did it take you to come up with that witty retort? I'm bettin' your wife helped out, actually it was probably all Hunter wasn't it :speepin:

Bubba, that's a great welder. When I'm doing 3/16" fillets and the like my settings are typically g-h and 5-7. That's with .030 wire.

Thanks for the tip, One Ton. I'll give it a try.

OneTonXJ said:
So, my driving skills are what killed my fuel pump?

Fuel pump? What fuel pump?

You said you were to scared and wanted a tow up the last two obsticals!

What fuel pump?

hinkley

Mig-

Tig actually requires more attention to a post/pre heat then Mig does. And you have to be good to tig, lots have layed real pretty beads that arn't worth crap where as the same individuals do fine with the Mig and they look pretty good too.

As for the strenght the Met's(metal science guys) at our school did some tensile testing with pre/post, pre or post, and no heat treatment with MIG vs TIG. The welds where done by certified welders both at the school and the tech school in town the teaches welding and the MIG welds were stronger. So unless we have the time and someone that can really tig or we are using aluminum it's Mig'd.

the way I see it...

both are FULLY adequate procedures in the hands of a capable welder. most people are better at MIG and have more conveinent access to a MIG. If you are one of the few that is better at TIG and has more conveinent access to a TIG, do that.

say what you will, I would give my left nut to have JR's Mog/9", chromo, TIG'd axles: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375081&highlight=bronco

OneTonXJ said:
Definately bust out the mig anytime you're welding to the body. It just isn't worth the effort. Which 175 do you have? I've got the SP175 Plus (infinate adjustments). I love it, but I need more machine now. Time to sell it and get my Powermig 255.

If I had my time over again (read that: knew what I was buying at the time), I'd have the Plus. My non-plus SP-175 only has A-E(IIRC) for heat range and it kinda sucks at times.

Maybe if I used it often enough I'd get a feel for what works within each range but i'm just a home hobbyist so I don't do that much work with it.

My father-in-law (ex-bodyman among other trades, including panel beating) is a lot like that too. He can make amazing looking things with a stick welder.

He occasionally tells a story about Peter Jenning's old 300 SL back in the 1950s. A few winters after PJ had it Helmut had to practically reskin and resurrect the space frame because of the corrosion damage. They used a lot of salt on the roads in Ottawa back then.

BrettM said:
the "robot"'s name is Rob

Rob didn't do those tig welds did he? Geargoyle did, correct?

Look at that rig if you want to see some fancy tig welds (and bends, and, well, everything).

The other day I read the Miller Electric Product manager said "theoretically, all welds have equal strength when done properly." He was comparing Mig to Tig in the fabrication of buggy chassis. I also read that Campbell Enterprises MIG weld everything when they build there competition crawlers.

-Mike

Of course they mig, it's faster i.e. cheaper. You don't consume as much gas and filler is cheaper as you don't waste 3" (or more) of every 3' of filler.

Back