• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod End and Drop Pitman Arm

SCjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ with a 4.5" Rustys lift. I've had the lift for almost a year, and the tie rod end connecting to the pitman arm is already shot. I went to the parts store, and they looked up the part, but the thread diameter isn't as big as the one on my jeep, and they couldn't find the matching part. Any ideas on this, is there more than one tie rod system on stock XJs? I can't imagine the previous owner changed it.

Also I'm looking at a 1.5" drop Pitman Arm to help with the tie rod angles, I was just wondering if there was a problem with it on a 4.5" lift, I've seen it suggested for only 6.5" and larger. The angle is steep enough that the boot on the tie rod end doesn't seal, so I'm thinking of replacing it so I don't replace the tie rod end every year. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pics would help,but you shouldnt need or want a drop pitman arm!

ES140r. is the part number for that tie rod. I had the same problem, I called the local parts store they had it picked it up installed it and it works great now...

RCP Phx said:
Pics would help,but you shouldnt need or want a drop pitman arm!

pict0007smallpo8.jpg

By sc_rednek, shot with DiMAGE X31 at 2008-02-14

pict0009smalltw5.jpg

By sc_rednek, shot with DiMAGE X31 at 2008-02-14

Sorry they aren't great pictures, the sway bar is sort of in the way in the first picture.

Last edited:
You cant post pics from your PC,youll need a host server!

Its not the best pic,but the angles dont look bad!

Your marks are off a litttle,the angles are even better than that.If anything it shows the trackbar bracket should be lower.Ive never replaced mine in 8 years,but I grease them before every outting,and I only have 35K of mostly offroad miles.

Last edited:
boots fine, it's just the angle is steep enough that it doesn't hold grease. I have 155k on and offroad though, so I guess it's about time. Maybe I can find a more flexible peice of rubber somewhere. I guess I'll just keep the stock pitman arm, thanks guys.

Last edited:
Back