• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those guys at the auto parts store . . .(long)

Why can't you sell the customer what they want and leave the mistakes to them?

You are a salesman. Your job is to sell parts, not correct your customers.

You are not a doctor, not a pharmacist, you sell parts. So, sell parts and stop whining about your customers on-line?

-Ron

You're right Zuki. I shouldn't even try to help, just let my customers try to do things that won't work - or even do things that are flat out dangerous.

I can't tell you how many times I've refused to sell compression fittings to repair rusted brake lines. It's an accident waiting to happen, and I don't want me or my family to be the ones hit by a brakeless vehicle. But, if it's my karma to suffer from other's mistakes, maybe I should suck it up.

I've meet three people in the last five years burned from tossing gasoline on a smouldering brush fire. I should start supporting those who suggest it. Maybe Darwin was right.

Even the little stuff - like converting from OBDII to a carburetor just so the owner won't have to learn about fuel injection. It's not my problem if it won't pass state inspection - I've mentioned that here more than once. I'll stop.

Passing along the right information would just stop most postings, too. After all, if the kid wants a body lift kit for his Cherokee, we should just suggest how to stack the factory cab isolators for the same effect. Longer bolts? Aisle 3A.

Zuk, I sure hope your counterman isn't reading this thread. :D

Here's another one - lady calls and wants a PCV for her import SUV. I need to know which engine - they are both similar, V-6's - and she explains her check engine light was on. She called her "mechanic," who told her over the phone that all she needed to do was change the PCV, as that was what the trouble was.

He could read the codes over the phone for a non-electric part with no sensor?

I suggest the PCV could simply be cleaned with carb spray - which she had - and as long as it rattled when shaken, it was working.

Maybe we should start a thread on "mechanics," or those who think they are - but I understand folks who get those phone calls are often just trying to go along with what the customer wants . . .

I work at Baxter auto parts

I hate all other parts houses
There dumb

Ha ha call and ask them for parts for and 83 corvette

They made an 82 and 84
Ha ha we do that when there's not much to do

I still enjoy sending people to the parts store for a muffler bearing.

actual conversation... about a 1992 Eagle Talon (in 1997)

"my car is making an exhaust sound I think it has a leak can you listen to it?"
"sure"
knock knock knock..
"when was the last time you put oil in this?"
"oil?"
"yeah engine oil..."
"um... they do that when you get it inspected right?"
"no"
"oh, well I will get some.. what kind should I get?"
"get a new car"
"really? why?"

I went on to explain the concept of oil and oil changes...

A radiator cap for a Corvair? Yep, there's one. Part of the heater system on the van model, IIRC.

And yeah, the 83 Vette is even used here as a source for a coolant temp sensor mod. Opens at 170*.

The 96(?) Wrangler is another missing year, but the books are also full of dropped names resurrected after a decade. Camaro and Challenger come to mind.

The best one I find amusing are all the knowledgeable owners of pre '99 Silverados with 350's. Yeah, sure. They are C/K1500's, guys. NO true Silverado has ever been made with a small block, they are all new metric motors. Up to then, Silverado is just a trim package and a decal, like Laredo. I like asking those owners "Ford or Jeep?" when I hear that.

And if they do say it's a '99, I get to go through the painful process of determining their Silverado with a 350 aint.

We know well enough here to almost never say, "They're all the same!" A 258 isn't quite a 4.0 isn't quite a 4.0 HO. There are differences. And the Renix uses that metric filter. Just try telling that to a SBC owner. Yes, I do have to "ask is it 4WD?" because the filters are different and the wrong one will dump all your oil on the ground. It's just one mismatch combination of the 8 different filters on that engine. They are definitely not all alike.

If there is anything a parts guy does learn, it's not to assume the same part was even used throughout the entire model year. Early vs. late production comes up often. And a 3/4 ton truck can be "under 7000 GVW" or over. Two different axles, brakes, u-joints, etc.

God help us when we're told wrong, tho. It's always our fault because the consumer really doesn't know what they own, and is nonetheless making the repair.

Like the guy filling his A/C with the engine off, happens all the time . . .

I really like this thread.. thanx TiRod! I've worked in the auto industry my whole career. Worked for the big 3 dealers doing heavy mechanical to driveability. worked at the mopar parts counter. Body shop. etc.. I know alot of aspects. but continue to learn everyday. I'm currently mgmt at local Carquest. and my Counter pro has been with the company since 1966 I think he knows a thing or two. The reality of this thread is crazy! And as TiRod can relate I see this everyday! From people asking for pvc valves, to "serendipidy" belts.. it takes all kinds but i find that helping the customer make the wise choice by coaching and offering different alternatives to accomplish the same goal is by far the best customer service you can provide. The customer will always return to a knowledgable counterman they feel comfortable with. Without being taken advantage of. So many companies hire people to use computers but give them a catalog 800 pages long with bearing specs in it and they freak out! Great thread thanks!

One of my all time favorites came from a tire guy. I showed up to get a replacement tire under warranty. The store no longer carried the exact model of tire. The guy at the counter told me that I couldn't put another type of tire because it would cause the truck to "shimmer".

If there is anything a parts guy does learn, it's not to assume the same part was even used throughout the entire model year. Early vs. late production comes up often. And a 3/4 ton truck can be "under 7000 GVW" or over. Two different axles, brakes, u-joints, etc.

The Ford fanbois are probably about to crucify me for this (good thing I've got thick skin...) but am I the only one to find it ironic that Ford is the very worst manufacturer for part number supercessions, mid-model-year parts changes, production shifts, and production variations? I've had an easier time finding parts for grey market Japanese forklifts over here!

(If you do find it ironic, tell us why. I want to make sure you're keeping up with the rest of the class...)

5-90;244426394 (If you do find it ironic said:
Because Fords initial success was due to complete standardization on the assembly line, one model, no options, and "any color as long as its black":read:

Because Fords initial success was due to complete standardization on the assembly line, one model, no options, and "any color as long as its black":read:

Gold Star on your term paper! Minus one point for improper punctuation ("Fords" (sic) should be "Ford's" - the possessive...)

I work at Baxter auto parts

I hate all other parts houses
There dumb

Ha ha call and ask them for parts for and 83 corvette

They made an 82 and 84
Ha ha we do that when there's not much to do

Now that's funny! I spent an hour talking to a new customer this morning who is fed up and done with you PW guys. Please keep it up your attitude coupled with the occasional mistake we all make just makes it easier for the rest of us. O'Reily's is moving into the NW hard and heavy, it's good to know they'll have you to pick on first.

P.S. It's they're or they are. There is a location. Corvette is a name and should be capitalized. The little dots at the end of sentences are called periods. Dumb is as dumb does.

when I ask for rear brake parts for a late nineties ford explorer, just get them, because when you ask "what year, what engine, what is this going on etc.? and I reply "doesn't matter" and you insist to know what it is going on and I reply "97 Jeep cherokee" you're going to look at me like I'm stupid, and it will annoy me (yes I have gotten in the habit of just picking a random set of numbers for the poor guy behind the counter).

and X eleventy billion on the damn axleshaft u-joint.
I still dont understand why people do this. Why cant you do your homework, and actually pick one. Rather then pretend like you know everything, say 99 Ford explorer with XXX engine. Is it really that hard, or do you have to make everyone mad at each other.

btw, I bet they arnt looking at you like you are stupid because you said you had a Jeep......:D

Sorry, thats just one of my pet peeves.

I still dont understand why people do this. Why cant you do your homework, and actually pick one. Rather then pretend like you know everything, say 99 Ford explorer with XXX engine. Is it really that hard, or do you have to make everyone mad at each other.

btw, I bet they arnt looking at you like you are stupid because you said you had a Jeep......:D

I can see that, especially when you start out with one vehicle and end up with another. Unfortunately it's the nature of upgraded vehicles in general that they become mix and match. If it's handled in a good natured way, and as you mention, you either have the part number or enough information to generate one, it's generally not an inconvenience to either party.

It's all how you handle it. If you get all centered on having all the right info you could loose a customer for no reason. For all you know, the customer could have sourced the part original part from a junk yard and the customer may not know the exact make, model, or year.

-Ron

Yeah, I have always gone back and forth on this one...
I feel bad for the guys at the counter when I don't know where it came from, but when it happens I would appreciate as much help as possible.

My rear axle is a Dana 44... that's about all I know. I picked it up from a friend. I think its out of a Cherokee, but I have no idea what year.
So when I go for brake drums and pads... I don't know what to ask for. Its certainly not for a 96' (which is what I have)..
I have taken the parts with me...and guessed.
different places have different reactions, autozone and advance auto seemed annoyed that I don't know where my rear axle came from.. and depending on who i talk to at NAPA they either tell me I am an idiot, or take me to the stock room and point to the boxes and say "have at it man"

I have it narrowed down.. the e-brake cable that's in there is from an '88 Cherokee. but the drums and pads, I still don't know, because I opened a stack of boxes and found the ones that matched...

The Ford fanbois are probably about to crucify me for this (good thing I've got thick skin...) but am I the only one to find it ironic that Ford is the very worst manufacturer for part number supercessions, mid-model-year parts changes, production shifts, and production variations? I've had an easier time finding parts for grey market Japanese forklifts over here!

(If you do find it ironic, tell us why. I want to make sure you're keeping up with the rest of the class...)

Amen brother!!! I worked for Ford dealer for 6 years in svc mgmt... Ford part supercessions are the absolute worst!!:banghead:

Back