• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those guys at the auto parts store . . .(long)

TiRod

NAXJA Forum User
Many of you buy parts at parts houses, and I'm sure you have favorites. The industry is consolidating a lot now, there are fewer independents and bigger chains every day. I work at one of them, and have for another.

We all pretty much know what we own - XJ's. That can still be a challenge, as Jeep did change things up over the years, with Renault transmissions, Chevy V-6 motors, two wheel vs. four wheel drive, carbs, Renix, OBD I, and OBD II.

What probably won't change at all are the kind of parts countermen and women you meet at stores. Let me set the stage:

A parts house is an auto pharmacy. We sell chemicals, repair parts, and accessories. The chain organizations are set up to sell, sell, sell.

We don't do much in the way of emergency room work. A lot more cars get towed away than towed in, right? You all pretty much know that - but the general public is, as usual, clueless about what we can do.

Federal court decisions tell us we can't attach and run a code reader. Too many folks were erasing codes under warranty, and "Detroit" was left with the bill to make warranty repairs they didn't even get to find. If a Friend/Neighbor asks, go ahead and tell them we read codes - but the owner does the work.

We sell light bulbs and wiper blades, and can install them. Most stores will - but there's no promise or guarantee. We get swamped some days, no time to even dump the trash. Sure, go ahead and tell your F/N we can do it - but if it's a down pour on Sunday afternoon and the store is full, they may have to wait.

Some stores will install other parts. My town has an actual regulation preventing any work in the parking lot. Pulling axles to press bearings, installing alternators, thermostats, or popping in new brake pads generally can't happen. We don't have the tools, training, work area, time, or liability insurance. Remember, we're the pharmacy, not the emergency room.

That gets back to the countermen. Many have auto experience, some have high school or college, most have done repairs, work on their own cars, may even have been mechanics. Under the parts house roofs is a lot of knowledge - but ASE certified, factory trained and qualified mechanics are damn few. They can work in a dealer or repair shop for double the pay. Most Jeepers understand that - and wouldn't expect a Toledo trained expert there. Let your F/N know that they can get some simple answers to a lot of questions, but that's all. The rest is in the Chilton/Haynes they should buy from us.

Most of you also know that calling over the phone for specific directions on disassembling a Ford Focus interference motor isn't something we know off the top of our head. We can look it up in the Chilton book they should have bought, and tell them they need the cam clamp tools to keep them indexed, or that they have to release the cam bearing bolts in the correct order to keep from bending the cams. But - it would be better if you let your F/N know before diving in that they should have gotten the right information up front before causing damage to $300 worth of cams and a $350 cam indexing fee from a shop. Modern motors are NOT what they used to be.

Auto parts houses get a lot of turnover, good and not so good countermen come and go. What your F/N's need to know is the EXACT year, make, model, engine, transmission, transfer case, differential, brakes, etc., if they are doing the work. They're being the mechanic - the surgeon. Surgeons don't often ask pharmacists much except what for potentionally harmful interactions - like pouring green antifreeze in a late model with red. And not knowing the exact information can lead to wrong parts - an 88 Ranger extended cab has a different left brake hose than a 89. They don't need to go to three parts houses trying to correct their part because they keep changing the year. They blame the countermen, and as we know, the customer always thinks they're right.

Help your friends and neighbors from misunderstanding what a parts house can or can't do - and help teach new Cherokee owners around you, too. That's the legacy I was handed in the '60's and '70's, and it's an even bigger job today.

The end run of all of that is this simple truth:
An autoparts counter person is not a pharmacist, or are they a surgeon, they are Salespeople who should be knowledgeable in the product they are selling. As with any sales position, the object is to sell the customer what they need in a way that will cause them to look to you for their future parts needs. You sell parts, and in some cases, services.

Store owners need to realize that just grabbing some kid out of high school shop class and putting them behind the counter does not work well in most cases. The customers quickly get frustrated with this approach and will not come back.

Sure, the business gets the newbie customer who has never fixed their stuff. It sounds like an opportunity to get a return customer, not to make them feel stupid.

Databases/ books may not have the right parts listed, that happened to me on a D30 recently. The book and the computer listed the bearings for a different axle. That is where how the counter person's skill comes into play. It took 3 trips back to NAPA to get my situation resolved, but it worked out and I will return for more parts because of the way it was handled.

I realize that the object of your post was to somehow educate Forum Users and Club Members to provide the Year/Make (NO! It's NOT a F'N Grand Cherokee damnit! :D)/ engine/ transmission info. And to not expect the customer to diagnose the Unit, though this is a service that some of your competitors do perform. However, atleast to me, it came off as an unsuccessful attempt to compare your industry with the medical field.

-Ron

I started to write a long comment about all the problems I have had with bad parts counter guys and how a good one is worth their weight in gold but I wont. It is up to you to raise this service to a higher level. You are the only one that can do it. Jeepers and gearheads everywhere will seek you out and tell their friends to go see you if you are good.

When I tell the guy at the counter I need a axle shaft u-joint and he says "Oh drive shaft U- Joint hold on" and I say no, axle shaft, at the wheel, and he looks again at his computer and says "I'm not showing that" or comes from the back with some U-Joint with external clips I know it's going to be a long day.......

I think the greater lesson to be learned from this is that while you may trust your local pharmacist, you should also realize that they have been to school to learn their trade, and they are also only dealing with one model (the human body) with limited options. Your local parts store desk clerk has more likely than not never been under the hood of an XJ, or whatever it may be you need parts for. In my experience, most have not been under the hood of anything, or at least not anything useful. When i pull up to my parts store and see a fleet of civics and cavaliers with giant wings and exhaust by folgers, I am not enthused. I was actually asked what a thermostat was once, im not kidding. Would you be confident in the product you recieved if you walked into McDonalds and the cashier asked you what ketchup was? The sad truth is that most McDonalds employees are viewed as qualified candidates if they are to apply at the local chain parts store. Just yesterday I was in a parts store waiting my turn at the counter, and I couldnt help over hearing the conversation at the counter. A guy was there trying to get an output seal for his TH350, should be fairly straightforward. They didnt have his particular application listed, so he said "I used to work here, it's in the National book" to which the reply was "I'm off the clock in 4 minutes, I'm not looking in the book". The guy asked to see the manager, and the manager told him to come back tommorow, his shifts were almost over. Keep in mind the store didnt close for another hour. I was shocked, and after uttering some choice words, left the store to go to the competition. Moral of the story, even if you can't provide knowlegable employees, you can still provide quality service, all it requires is giving a shit about the customer.

P.S. the next time they tell my I must have a Grand Wagoneer I am going to kill someone......

Thanks for the input, guys. I am aware there is a lot of experience out there. I was taught to listen to the customers and learn - I usually pick up something every day.

I had no intent to elevate the status of counterman to that of a trained professional dispensing prescriptions - the allusion was simply to point out that taking a vehicle to a parts house for immediate repair is like sending the ambulance to the local Walgreen's. And yet, people do it everyday.

I arrived at work 2pm to see two customer's finishing up a water pump changeout in the parking lot. I didn't even ask for details - like as not they were stranded on the road for the holiday weekend. Nonetheless, we shouldn't and wouldn't expect surgery to be available in Walmart's Rx section, would we? I may be old school now, but street repairs as a habit are exactly that - a bad habit, and one my town prohibits. Had they had the luxury of overhead shelter, they wouldn't be working on their Explorer for four hours in the rain.

On the other hand, we did sell a new rotor, hub bearings, lockout screws, and seals for a F250 "Spicer" 50 yesterday. What my coworker couldn't find, I could, and we got to close on time at 8PM, too. Lots better than Sun and Sat open 15-20 minutes late selling tail light bulbs after the computer controlled store lights go out. I've gotten used to taking care of the last customer, not shooing them off.

Pulling the book out to me is what the business is all about - I'm sorry the other place I worked for did literally structure their system to spend no more than a few minutes on a customer and avoid the books. I could make more money there, but the culture of merchandising is pretty extreme to a guy who's sat on a counter stool watching a real parts expert flip through 5 feet of catalogs finding what could interchange for my hot rod. Parts men stayed with the job for years back then - now the chains won't pay for longevity and good people move up or out. It's not a great system.

Again, I'm only attempting to enlist all of you in an information campaign that you already engage in - where the good countermen are, and what a customer should really expect, not what rumor or Dad says will happen. Parts houses are a poor substitute for service stations or garages - nobody tows to us, but they will be towed away if they don't run. Just asking for help to let the public understand it better.

And airing a few issues about here is good therapy for us all.

i pretty much only have one autoparts store i deal with and i know the majority of the employees especially one guy who i've delt with there since i was 13 and first started working on cars on my own and they're great they all know how to look up parts well and how to listen to a customer and if they don't know they don't hesitate to ask another employee or manager which saves a lot of stupid issue like what tommyr mentioned about u-joints but on the flip side the exact same company has another store much closer to my house that i won't go to unless it's 100% nessicary last time i tried to get any "over the counter" help the guy i was dealing with was a total f$#* first he couldn't comprehend that i drove a grand cherokee to the store but needed parts a for a regular cherokee and then when two younger atractive ladies walked into the store he imedatly walked away form me and started helping them on anoter computer and ended up throughing a can of undercoating at him. i wasn't even asking him for an opinion or advice or help putting the part on just to look up a part number and pull it from the shelf if they had it adn he managed to piss me off to where now he won't look at me if i walk in there, which is rare, and it's unfortuate because they are the closest parts store to me by far and thats an autozone i've had much much worse experiance at an advanced auto store

in response to this i can see where your coming from but there is definately a lot more morons than knowledgable sales people at the parts stores ive been to. when i ask for a front cv axle for a dodge truck and they ask me if its a 2 or 4 wheel drive i think we have a problem. needless to say i hung up and called another store

Yesterday I went to autozone to get a belt. I handed the guy the sleeve from the last gatorback belt I bought, which had the part number on it for him to reference, and he still brought me the wrong damn belt.

Literacy should be a requirement.

I spent three years holding down the counter at one of those "big chain" stores - I'm amazed not that I quit two packs a day there, but that everyone survived the ordeal.

When it comes to pure, raw, weapons-grade stupidity, I honestly think it's a toss-up on which side of the counter sees the most at the big chains. Yeah, you get some parts guys that know what they're about (can properly identify a flare nut wrench from an double-open-end wrench, say,) but I'm still trying to figure out how most of these guys got out of middle school.

Then I recall "social promotion" - explains a lot, really.

The customers are another breed of headache. While I got some very good ones (the ones that would stock up on everything that got pushed as a "related sale," pushed my relates down, and got me in Dutch with management) who would come back again and again - and had a sense of humour, and didn't mind working on weird stuff, and ...; I also got more than my share of true idiots who had no business whatever being anywhere near a motor vehicle, much less in control of one, much less working on one!

I am not kidding. Here's a conversation I'd have over and over:

"I need a fan belt for my car."
"OK. What sort of car do you have?"
"Blue" (or insert other colour.)
"?!?!? Can you be a little more specific?"
"Dark blue."

At which point, just because I'm an incorrigible smartass, I'd go back and get the biggest, longest serpentine belt we had. I'm not sure what it was for, but it cost about sixty bucks - fifteen years ago.

About an hour later, the guy comes back with a greasy belt:

"You sold me the wrong belt!"
"I remember you, you were the guy with the dark blue car. What did you expect? You couldn't tell me the make, model, and engine - how am I going to know what's going to fit?"

Half of the time, they'd end up asking to borrow the phone so they could call back and get the information. I guess it was too much work to write it down on a slip of paper and stick it in their pocket, no?

And the looks I'd get when I told them they'd have to clean the belt off - or just eat the sixty bucks, for their mistake - were priceless. Cheap lesson harshly learned - know what you're working on before you get parts for the thing.

I've honestly lost count of how many times I've had that exchange. In three and a half years, tho, it was plenty (I went from that job to running Maintenance at Adobe - six of us supporting 2200-2500 employees in three cities and ten buildings, and about half of them were serial whiners. Not much of an improvement, but it was about a 50% pay rise and I got loads of overtime out of the deal...)

You can find idiots working behind the counter, but there's plenty of weapons-grade stupid walking up in front of the counter as well - and that does tend to wear. I can "play stupid" with the best of them, having had years of practise doing so in various support occupations (try working Tech Support for a year or so. Or Telecom.)

The analogy given by the OP is flawed (as most are,) because pharmacists are still specially-trained. A parts man is more like the cashier at a drug store - not a pharmacist, most are just button-pushers. Some take the time to learn, but they're still not certified pharms. (This analogy is still flawed, but it probably fits rather better.)

NB: If you do find a good counterman out there, keep him! (I use "him" in the general sense. I've run across good countermen who were female, but I find the use of "him/her/it/them" cumbersome and dumb. I was taught pre-PC anyhow, and I see no reason to change.) I got transferred around the district as I spent as much time pissing off my managers (most of whom were as dumb as some of the worst of the customers) as the customers - but there was always a bloc of core regulars who would find out where I'd gone and follow me - just because I could smack a curve ball good and hard.

I've got a few good countermen at my local now - even though the local sold out, and is now a CarQuest. As long as the lads stay there, I'll keep going back...

Last time I went to the 'zone' the parts guy working by himself looks at me when it was my turn and says 'WHAT?' Needless to say I'll NEVER go back. XXXX that!

I spent 8 years working reatail parts counters selling parts and teaching fellow "counterpeople" the job. Most of my teaching was a waste as the companies only hired low grade - low potential people. The few who had potential were just working a part time job to pay for child support or rapidly moved on ( mostly to other fields). I currently sell parts at a wholesaler and work with two guys who I have worked with at a total of three companies now. Whenever one of us found an upgrade we pulled the others along. We've never been smart enough to get out of the auto parts business but all swear to make sure our kids don't wind up in it.
The general situation for a parts counter person is low pay and long hours coupled with customer abuse and company indifference. The training is very limited and as mentioned there aren't that many enthusiasts who take parts jobs. If you are going to search for the cheapest price everytime you buy a part you should accept the cheapest help that goes along with it.
One place I worked had two company names and two yellowpages ads, one for each name. The number of callers who price checked parts by calling every store in town was a serious waste of time. The number of guys who had their ladies call with incomplete information was even worse. The request for consideration of your parts guy is great but the shear number of uninformed Do it Yourselfers is insurmountable.

BTW. When I enter a retail parts store I have the part number already looked up on their website or a competitor's and hand it to them quietly when they give me a different answer. loudly pointing out the underpaid / overworked counterperson's mistake doesn't get results.

thats why i go to one specific NAPA store near my home. the owner of that store knows its me even before i get out of one of three vehicles (my heep, my truck or mommys car). there is only two guys i go to at the counter, and usually there is a little wait because other people have the same favorites as well. i have got my guy trained not to ask too many questions. he knows that only a very small percentage of the parts i buy do NOT make it on my jeep, yet i end up asking for some really off the wall stuff (well, for his line of work it may be off the wall). when i tell him "oil filter" he goes and grabs me a wix 1515, and two gallons of rotella. hows that for customer service?

speaking of cust service, i have had Erich (yes spelled that way) hunting through parts catalogs for 45 minutes searching for my parts. computer had no listing, and most of the catalogs didnt have a listing either. he had to dust off one that had not been used for quite some time. he found it. i had the part the next morning when the door unlocked. i have never been able to get the same quality of service from vato zone or chuckers. and the limited experience from o'craplies isnt so good either. heck, one of the other guys at my NAPA gave me LEFT HAND THREADED lug nuts when i had ordered the one piece ones! so yah, i tend to stay with the same two guys (Erich, or the franchise owner).

anyone know if NAPA is listed on the stock exchange? i spend enough there that i might as well own some stock in them!

I go to one specific O'Reillys where all the guys know me. I have spent about 5 grand in parts or more between several vehicles with them. All the people that work work on cars as a hobby and have descent knowledge of cars. I recently went to napa as they are the only company that carries KYB shocks, looking for shocks for one of m vehicles. They couldnt find any in their system and when I told them to look in the catalog it should be listed there, they told me know it wasnt. I asked what catalog they had and they said the 2009. I told them the part numbers had t be in their because I saw them in the online catalog. Needless to say they told me I needed t get the part numbers and then they might be able to get the shocks but becasue they dont list them they probably dont carry themm. So I found them online.

A little background info here;
I work in a Hobby Shop and do the parts counter thing for RC's as well as being a low level "supervisor" (and that includes counting the registers if I'm the closing manager), stock boy, price tagger, customer service, cashier, janitor, and sometimes all around grunt.

NB: If you do find a good counterman out there, keep him!

That is something I found to be very true when I owned the mid 80's Turbo Mopars, and still find it handy when it comes to the Jeeps as well. I've even discussed that with some of my customers at work, and they've completely agreed with me on that count......and it turns out that's the main reason they come back to my store is that I'm one of the more knowledgeable employees and that I won't give them a BS answer if I'm not sure what the right one is.

The number of guys who had their ladies call with incomplete information was even worse.

That right there aggrevates me to no end when guys do that to their GF's/wives/sisters, mother/ect or worse send them in to get a part and not even tell them what kind of truck they have to get parts for! Not all of them know what their hubby/BF/ECT have and what the part is called (hell sometimes the guy doesn't either!) I don't know how many times I've had these poor women have to call their man so he can tell me the right part over the phone when he could have left a note with the info, a header card with the part number on it, or called me himself and have me put a part off to the side so she can come in and pick it up when she's in the area.

Here's another one that actually pisses me off when people do this. One of the store owner's and one of my supervisors are both women, and it seems that every so often we have somebody call looking for a vehicle or part, and even have a number and brand name that they can use to look up the part, that won't believe what one of these women tell them. We can have somebody call for a T-Maxx front bulkhead and have one of these ladies go back and look on the wall and find that the part is out of stock and tells them so. Well, that is not good enough and they insist to talk to a guy in part...me... so I go and look on the wall in the exact same spot (if I didn't already know the answer) and find that, low and behold, we're out of stock. I even had one guy complaining on the phone that the clueless broad he talked to at Tower Hobbies didn't know what he was looking for was and couldn't even find a description of it in her computer. The main reason for that is that the part as disco'd a few years back because it was a fragile POS that usually fell apart after a couple uses. Of the employees in my store, only one other person besides myself knew that and even had a clue as to what he was talking about and the male supervisor that I have to deal with would have not been as likely to even know what it was as the two women in the store!

I have never been a "counterman"
But I will say that it makes all the difference in how I shop..
since I was ~13 I have been visiting my local parts store for parts. (so about 15 years)
They hardly ever got a part wrong.
but about 5 or 6 years ago, the "chain" they were with folded, and they merged with NAPA, with the NAPA merge... came the parts guy from NAPA, who I have always hated.
When that guy started selling from behind the parts store I went to, I lost my loyalty to them.

The reason I hated this guy...
When I was 15 I had a 67 Plymouth Valiant with the slant 6 in it. my great grandma had bought it new, and my mom got it when she died. So I got it from her.

Well, I went to the NAPA (because they were the only ones that had the correct distributor in stock) instead of the normal one I went to (who actually called NAPA for me to find if they had the parts I needed)

anyway...
I got cap rotor, points, air filter, plugs ,plug wires. the whole tune up, oil oil filter. I was getting ready to drop 60 to 70$ on this guys counter...
I went over and picked up a can of carburetor cleaner.
They guy wouldn't sell me the carb cleaner, because he thought I would snif it or somthing...
A$$ hole wouldn't sell me carb cleaner. I had to go out to the car, give my dad the 80$ and tell him to go in and get the parts.
WTF.
Still pisses me off.

I went over and picked up a can of carburetor cleaner.
They guy wouldn't sell me the carb cleaner, because he thought I would snif it or somthing...
A$$ hole wouldn't sell me carb cleaner. I had to go out to the car, give my dad the 80$ and tell him to go in and get the parts.
WTF.
Still pisses me off.

U were underage and the wouldnt sell u carb cleaner. And u got pissed. Ever heard of laws. That was nothing wrong with the counterman he was doing his job and did it well.

I like my local Advance Auto. They always seem knowledgeable and I've never gotten the wrong parts. I go in so often now, to buy crap for the Jeeps, the counterman gives me discounts :D

U were underage and the wouldnt sell u carb cleaner. And u got pissed. Ever heard of laws. That was nothing wrong with the counterman he was doing his job and did it well.

yes there was. He was a dick. he was rude, he treated me like a piece of $hit.
Don't give me that crap.

1. he should have recognized it was for a carb.
2. he should have seen my dad in the car and let me get it.
3. he could have sold me the rest of the stuff and let the carb cleaner stay, but when I wanted to by the carb cleaner her wouldn't sell me any of it.

my point was that a counter man is as important as anything when it comes to the store.
I still Hate talking to the man He is still a dick.

Last edited:
yes there was. He was a dick. he was rude, he treated me like a piece of $hit.
Don't give me that crap.

1. he should have recognized it was for a carb.
2. he should have seen my dad in the car and let me get it.
3. he could have sold me the rest of the stuff and let the carb cleaner stay, but when I wanted to by the carb cleaner her wouldn't sell me any of it.

my point was that a counter man is as important as anything when it comes to the store.
I still Hate talking to the man He is still a dick.

In your OP u mentioned nothing about him not selling u everything. Also agian federal law says u can not sell anyone under 18 inhalant type products such as spray paint, carb cleaner, brake cleaner and so forth. And all the parts stores I have scene u cant see out the front windows so how was the guy supposed to know ur dad is their with you. He did his job by not selling a substance to a minor that could have gotten him and the store in a lot of trouble. You obviously have some growing up todo.

Back