• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those guys at the auto parts store . . .(long)

2 out of 45,000 members isn't real good.

Perhaps it highlights the point - and I certainly understand the wrong part thing. I had a customer today looking for the right brake pads - and the listing in the book and online was flat wrong. Human error does occur, but the system does try to minimize it.

Unfortunatelly, the customer doesn't because he's not had to suck up his mistakes - the counter guy has to do that.

I had a really unique customer the other day who came in with her boyfriend on the recommendation of her ex-husband that we could do diagnosis. I explained, sure, we have a code reader, but no, she wanted me to get under the hood and find out why the vehicle was leaking water. It had overheated once already - and the radiator cap was tightened down.

Upshot was after explaining they need to loosen the cap, keep it filled, and take it to a mechanic that they insisted I find the leak which was coming from under the intake near this little hose right here and look at that, it's broke off from the connection - would that make it leak?

Well, folks, it looks like you figured it out after all.

Nobody tows their car to the parts house, but I guarantee they all leave one way or the other. I started the thread to have enthusiasts spread the word that a parts house is like a pharmacy, not the emergency room. Well, so far, we all agree there's no brain surgeons working there.

It was said before, the demand for cheaper parts just forces lower paid help. It's the public shooting themselves in the foot.

Yes, but I'm fairly certain that the entire membership hasn't logged in, read your post and decided not to comment because they can't use the online lookup. The online lookup isn't hard. I'm pretty sure that if I told my wife what part I needed, she could look it up and order it for me.
That said, as my previous post illustrates, sometimes it just best to have the personal touch. Where the computer told me the wrong part, the counter man was able to compare and find the right one within 5 minutes.

Maybe the other 44,998 are like me. I realize I'm "old 'n busted", and getting older and busteder every day, but,...

What's the point? :dunno:

I use NAPA online to look up parts, but, 1) the closest NAPA is about 3 minutes away (less if I could ever catch that frickin' light green), and even ordering/paying online, I'd still have to drive down to pick it up, right?
and 2) I honestly don't mind spending a few minutes talking with the guys at the counter. They're not a bad bunch there.

My usual procedure is something like:
Figure out what I need. If I don't know, I'll go online and look it up(I don't find the screen navigation hard to use, by the way.)
Call NAPA.(usually, occasionally it's Airpark Jeep) Confirm availability and have them pull it for me.
Drive down, browse, pick up parts and pay.

I could spent another 10 or 15 minutes(or a lot more, in some cases)online, and save 10 or 15 minutes at the store, but to what end? Usually, I go in for brake fluid, an oil filter, etc, and walk out with 20 bucks worth of other stuff I remembered, or just wanted. If I ordered/paid online, They'd still have to run my card for the other stuff. Time saved = 0

Back