• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The XJ Mercedes turbo diesel conversion forum

Looks like Jeep cruise control will work with a speed sensor input, just replaced my 300sd Mercedes hood emblem, broke off washing car. One will fit nicely on my XJ just fine( $3 junkyard). Local guy is selling WVO filtered to 1 micron for $20 per 25 gallon fill - asking for tax headaches from state! Diesel here $2.79 cash.

badgator said:
I have a jeep 4.0 spacer plate to use as a bellhousing bolt pattern. So far.

how is this part of the project going? I want to hook a mercedes 5cyl to an AW4 for a marine project. and am curious how you did with the adapter plate and torque converter.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the adapter, the best way is to have a MB engine and Jeep trans out first, but I need 2 vehicles, so I can't pull my Jeep apart yet. I used to be a machinist in Mpls, MN and would have free help/access to a couple machine shops. BUT,I now live in FL and work on Computer Networks. Makes projects a bit more chalendging.

badgator said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to make the adapter, the best way is to have a MB engine and Jeep trans out first, but I need 2 vehicles, so I can't pull my Jeep apart yet. I used to be a machinist in Mpls, MN and would have free help/access to a couple machine shops. BUT,I now live in FL and work on Computer Networks. Makes projects a bit more chalendging.

that does put a damper on things. my little brother has a machine shop here. i did the rigging to get the stuff in to the d@#n building. do you know what a bridgeport weighs? anyway he owes me and has to put up with my occasional weird demands.
i have the tranny out and lying around but the diesel is still in the benz. the hull for this project is still a stack of flat steel, so i'm in no rush.

btw good call on not using the sd33. littlebrother has two vehicles with it. 80 turbo scout is a great vehicle but parts are a night mare. and the cj10 was purchase with intent of mking a tow vehicle. but naturally aspirated sd33 turned out to be MAJOR dog. and cj 10 VERY squirelly at highway speeds. it will eventually get a fsj frame for 16 more inches of wheelbase and likely and engine/tranny out of isuzu truck. but not this year. probably not next either.

I am using the jeep 5 speed trans with my MB 300-turbo conversion as well as a 240d flywheel and housing. I removed the housing from the AX5 trans and using a 3/4 in. plate between the trans and clutch housing, was able to get the proper stack height. A Chevy S10 clutch disk and a custom bushing in the end of the crank aloud the use of the jeep throughout bearing. The trans is mounted in the stock location and there is enough room to mount electric fans. The only problem is the A/C compressor has to be relocated because of the steering box.
I would like to start another project using a 6.2/6.5. I am leisurely looking for a complete engine.

XJDiesel said:
I am using the jeep 5 speed trans with my MB 300-turbo conversion as well as a 240d flywheel and housing. I removed the housing from the AX5 trans and using a 3/4 in. plate between the trans and clutch housing, was able to get the proper stack height. A Chevy S10 clutch disk and a custom bushing in the end of the crank aloud the use of the jeep throughout bearing. The trans is mounted in the stock location and there is enough room to mount electric fans. The only problem is the A/C compressor has to be relocated because of the steering box.
I would like to start another project using a 6.2/6.5. I am leisurely looking for a complete engine.
4wd or 2wd? if 4wd, how is your oilpan to diff clearance? with how much lift.

Its 4x4, 4.10 gears and 32" tires with stock axles for now. it had a blown 4 cly when I got it Changed the radiator and using electric fans. I installed a 6" lift kit and used the longest pitman arm that Rusty's had and extended it another 1.5". I used Rusty's track arm and bracket and extended the bracket to the same lenght as the pitman arm. I also cut the track rod and made the "Z" in the opposite direction. I have pictures but haven't yet been sucsessful in downloading. I used the stock engine frame mounts but mounted the rubber mounts under the frame mounts. I have 1/2" clearance between the turbo and the frame, and the same between the injection pume and frame. the stock aircleaner fits but I cutoff the intake horn because it was too close the the battery. i mounted the stock MB oil cooler behind the bumper under the radiator and made hoses instead of the metal lines. I used the MB power steering and made adapter fittings. I used the jeep throttle cable and change some of the linkage to make it work. I found a 12v pressuer/vacuum valve and used the coil wire for activation for engine shutdown. The valve is small, 2x3, so you can miss it easy. I have 80k miles on it have just had my first problem. I took the trans out today and found a missing spring in the stock Chevy S10 clutch disk so I will be looking for a disk without springs. No hot spots in the flyweel and pressure plate.

Back