• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Reverse of a Common Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
A steering damper will increase the steering effort a little bit. It would have to, if you think about it- a shock on the steering takes more effort to move the steering.

Whether or not it's going to make you happy is hard to say. Throw a beefy one on there and try it out.

Yelling at people that are giving advice that you requested is pretty funny.

Let me be the tenth person to tell you that a stabilizer will not help with the wander.

You sound like you know your rig pretty well, what is the caster currently?

6.5" on short arms, ouch. I remember doing that for a while.

Good Luck-

meh,let him waste his money.......

Instead of sitting here begging people to tell you what you want to hear why not go buy a stabilizer and bracket and put it on?Seriously.....
Oh and one more thing.....get an alignment done:D

More rake (caster) gives more stability.

Are you saying more rake will help reduce wander?

If so, can anyone explain why? Just curious...

I get quite a bit of wander, but I run 35 bias tires and I am wondering if I can cut down on the wander.

Thanks.

So many problems here.

1. Get longarms now if you don't want to get drop brackets. Your control arm angles are NOT "getting the job done" at that lift height. I'll guarantee it.

2. Get another pair of knuckles and ream them OTK. Move your trackbar up on the axle side as well to get it parallel to the draglink. Flatter angles = better steering everytime.

3. Check your caster. I don't care if you think you're taking it to a "reputable 4x4 shop". Get an angle finder on it and check it FOR YOURSELF. I would try to aim for 5*.

4. If you don't want to hear any of this advice, then go slap on a steering stabilizer and be unhappy. It WILL help with oscillations and such and tighten up the steering, but won't solve wandering or crappy steering/suspension geometry issues.

Effectively more caster causes the weight of the vehicle to push the front wheels back to center more. If you've ever driven anything with a ton of caster, you might have noticed as you turn the wheels all the way the body actually lifts up a bit. But as with most things it's a fine line, too much or not enough is no good.

Another good device to reduce wander is a spooled rear. Tire wear goes up, of course, but the Jeep will drive like it had 3 more degrees of caster.

MY XJ WILL NEVER SEE DROP BRACKETS, EVER!! Do u understand me??

Untill i have the loot for longarms, shes a "mall crawler"!!

Rockkrawler has a 3 link & 4 link high clearance longarm kit for the XJ!!

LAST,, can u guys DROP the alignment replies PLEASE?? IT WILL BE DONE!!

WELL IF YOUR NOT GETTING DROP BRACKETS OR LONG ARMS SOON THEN STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE WANDERING ON THE ROAD!!

I thought that if it was in all caps you might notice it then.

For more info read below.

Are you saying more rake will help reduce wander?

If so, can anyone explain why? Just curious...

I get quite a bit of wander, but I run 35 bias tires and I am wondering if I can cut down on the wander.

Thanks.

Think of it like the difference between a Drag Rail and an Indy car. The drag rail is made to go in a straight line and the length helps it stay going straight. An Indy car is meant to turn so it is built shorter than the drag rail. Also if there is a large angle on the control arms they are going to have a harder time keeping the axle pointed straight. If you have a short arm suspension with 6.5" of lift its going to have a much shorter wheelbase (2-3" shorter) as well as more angle on the arms and is going to wander more. If you have a long arm suspension that puts the wheels at or just past the stock location its going to behave better on the road due to a longer wheel base as well as the reduced angle of the arms.

The Right control arms can only do so much to keep the wandering down, If your running Bias ply's then (like posted before) they are going to wander because they are bias ply. Also the Alignment plays a major role in the wandering (this has already been addressed though).

:cheers:

I think everyone needs to understand this person isn't looking to fix the problem, just mask it.

everyone is trying to help this guy to fix the problem. he doesn't want to fix it, just cover it up. If they wanted to solve this problem they would take some of the advice given, as opposed to blasting those for giving it.

a SS will band aid it, it'll mask the problem until they are smart enough to actually fix it, until then lets get some pics so everyone knows what to look out for on the road in his area.

ignorance is bliss.

I think everyone needs to understand this person isn't looking to fix the problem, just mask it.

everyone is trying to help this guy to fix the problem. he doesn't want to fix it, just cover it up. If they wanted to solve this problem they would take some of the advice given, as opposed to blasting those for giving it.

a SS will band aid it, it'll mask the problem until they are smart enough to actually fix it, until then lets get some pics so everyone knows what to look out for on the road in his area.

ignorance is bliss.

Well atleast you got most of it correct,, those of you giving sound advice on how to fix it is appreciated,, BUT adding drop brackets is just plain stupid & a waste of time!! Been there, done that & after the 1st time i wheeled it with them on,, they came right off!! I have already said that longarms are on the list,, but its rough out there, the economy that is, so i have to wait till i have the loot!!
Im NOT tryin 2 be rude but its cause every one of u are givin me the same advice!! The others are telling me to buy sh!t i dont want to!!

Listen, by the time i start wheelin again, i may just have a 44 in there so the steering issue JUST NEEDS A BANDAID TEMPORARILY & i've been asking ONLY ONE QUESTION,,,,, ((Will a stablizer help reduce any slop or even some slop)) ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Testing pics......
Short arms CAN FLEX,, look close & u will see the drag link even when shes at full flex. Those are my old 33"s tho!!

23j4cua.jpg

2e5pbue.jpg

2rehy5k.jpg

2edb8zt.jpg

Last edited:
Reverse of a Common Ques... Pics Added

PICS ADDED....

OK, so the subject is DE-modding my XJ for better ONroad manners!!
Heres a quick parts/& or stats list of my XJ so u guys can get a BETTER picture of the question....

-- 95 XJ 4dr sport 4.0L H.O. auto,, 231 worked w/A SYE.
-- 6.5 lift, BRAND NEW 35" radial baja claws replacing the bias claws.
-- 4.88's, ford 8.8 loaded, HPd30 loaded.
-- Armored up, tomwoods D-shafts F & R,, yadda yadda, etc etc!!
-- She's a weekend warrior on roids basically!! :cool:

Question is,, Would ADDing a Steering Stablizer OR 2 onto my 1-ton JCR steering, ((under the knuc style)),, help her wander WAY less and be more responsive ON THE PAVEMENT??

Obviously im having steering issues, ESPECIALLY over 45mph!! NOTHING ELSE in the front end is loose or worn down & most parts are brand new & nothin is stock anyways!! BUT YES I CHECKED IT ALL!!

SO,, would adding a Steering St (OR 2) onto my 1-ton steer,, would it help mask the issues & make her safer at highway speeds???? :dunno:

adding drop brackets is just plain stupid & a waste of time!! Been there, done that & after the 1st time i wheeled it with them on,, they came right off!!

JUST NEEDS A BANDAID TEMPORARILY & i've been asking ONLY ONE QUESTION,,,,, ((Will a stablizer help reduce any slop or even some slop))

the statement in bold doesn't make much sense (current thread not withstanding) drop brackets are meant to put control arms into near stock angles, thus NOT being a complete waste of time. as for your ability to flex, not sure how drop brackets hindered you so poorly you needed to toss them so quickly.

anyway, you've been given your answer, it will band-aid the problem.

but considering the time and money it will cost to band-aid the problem, why would you not just remove the spacers on the coils, and blocks/shackles/AAL you have to drop the rear down, when your ready to go back offroad add the 1-2" of lift you've lost and fix this steering problem properly.

either way, like you've stated so often, your not looking to fix the problem. slap your SS on there and continue having the problem... just notice it a little less. no reason to start making intelligent decisions at this point right?

Sterring stabilizers only mask shimmy, and wheel movement as you pass over varied terrain. I have a brand new ome sterring stablizer, and on deer valley, I destroyed the bushing and took it off. I barely noticed it, and drove like that for 3 weeks, no prob. A properly tuned suspension and steering set up doesn't require one.

And I'll say it too. GET LONG ARMS! It's not all about flex. You are asking a question about how to improve road manners, drop brackets will help, but long arms will REALLY help. (and I don't know what you did that caused the drop brackets to come off??) The angle of your short arms is putting all the stress upward into the body, instead of allowing them to swing upward. I've notcied a crappy ride with short arms, and I have a well tuned 4 inch RE lift.

Please don't ask for advice and then get mad at people when they give it. :)

ignorance is bliss.
X2,this CAB doesnt want to hear anything,not sure why he even posted!

1) I know what the hell drop brackets are and there job. Reason for not using them,, they get hung up on the rocks often...

2) My control arms fit perfect for the lift it has,, u add drop brackets and u will push the axle out of center. BUT ofcourse i already KNOW THAT I NEED LONGARMS so if u guys are splittin the cost for a set & gift for me,, please [Edited For Content]

3) First, a stablizer is $40 and takes 15 min to put on. Dropping my whole jeep is [Edited For Content]

I got my answers AND delt with u [Edited For Content] so this thread is done!!

the statement in bold doesn't make much sense (current thread not withstanding) drop brackets are meant to put control arms into near stock angles, thus NOT being a complete waste of time. as for your ability to flex, not sure how drop brackets hindered you so poorly you needed to toss them so quickly.

anyway, you've been given your answer, it will band-aid the problem.

but considering the time and money it will cost to band-aid the problem, why would you not just remove the spacers on the coils, and blocks/shackles/AAL you have to drop the rear down, when your ready to go back offroad add the 1-2" of lift you've lost and fix this steering problem properly.

either way, like you've stated so often, your not looking to fix the problem. slap your SS on there and continue having the problem... just notice it a little less. no reason to start at this point right?

Last edited by a moderator:
HOLY CRAP,,,,,,, let me just say this,, im 100% happy with the flex i have and will set EVERYTHING up to match it as is!!

OH and besides "EVENTUALLY" gettin longarms,, the arms i have now have a bend in them for a straiter angle.

[Edited For Content]

Sterring stabilizers only mask shimmy, and wheel movement as you pass over varied terrain. I have a brand new ome sterring stablizer, and on deer valley, I destroyed the bushing and took it off. I barely noticed it, and drove like that for 3 weeks, no prob. A properly tuned suspension and steering set up doesn't require one.

And I'll say it too. GET LONG ARMS! It's not all about flex. You are asking a question about how to improve road manners, drop brackets will help, but long arms will REALLY help. (and I don't know what you did that caused the drop brackets to come off??) The angle of your short arms is putting all the stress upward into the body, instead of allowing them to swing upward. I've notcied a crappy ride with short arms, and I have a well tuned 4 inch RE lift.

Please don't ask for advice and then get mad at people when they give it. :)

1) I know what the hell drop brackets are and there job. Reason for not using them,, they get hung up on the rocks often...
how the hell did you find this out? Did you try to run over a curb at the mall or something?

seriously, your rampant, flagrant violation of common rules of the English language and abuse of punctuation is making my head hurt. Fifty question marks just make you look dumber than one.

Longarms and correct your caster/camber/whatever. A steering stabilizer will not keep you from wandering and following the dips in the road, that's too slow a movement for the stabilizer to really kick in. Stabilizers have greater effect on damping fast movements than slow movements. But you've already been told that like two dozen times, so I'm not sure why I am bothering really.

Are the only ways to adjust caster is to have adjustable control arms, or to rotate the inner C's?

And, if you use adjustable control arms, is there some trade-off between caster angle and pinion angle, and what is the impact?

I have non-adjustable control arms, so I am guessing there is no easy way to adjust my caster?

Thanks.

Ball joint shims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back